SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

SelectSmart.com Your dialect reveals where you live.
What do you call this small freshwater lobster-like crustacean?
Crawdad
Crawfish
Crayfish
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Talk about revolting:

Posted by Kairos 
Jun
Re: Talk about revolting:
August 28, 2009 09:35PM
Jun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Consumption of yummy unhealthy food (i.e.
> fast-food, pizzas, kebabs, ice-cream) isn't the
> primary problem with obesity IMO. The excessive
> consumption of it and inactivity is. Excessive
> consumption of "healthy food" can also be just as
> fattening.
>
> The individual's metabolism rate could also play a
> part. i.e. I knew a friend who eat twice as much
> as me, but remained relatively skinny. He
> frequently jogs every weekend.
>
> During busy days, I've pretty much eat at
> fast-food places for months, but still remained
> below 55 kg, and I'm ~170cm tall. I don't even
> really exercise besides the 15mins slow cycle to
> my university and back. The only way I seem to
> gain a bit of weight is when I frequent the gym
> for a period. But I suspect that internally, my
> arteries might actually be 90% blocked with all
> that oily food that I eat.

Come to think of it, is the BMI really always an accurate way to determine if a person's under or over weight, when muscle, bone-thickness and density could also significantly affect the derived value? My frame and wrist is generally smaller than my Australian friends'. My sister bought a watch for me when she was in California in the US, but even after removing all of the removable sections of the watch-bracelet, it was still too large for my wrist, so she gave it to her friend in Melbourne. Also, the "small" T-shirts sold here is typically equivalent to the wider "medium" sized shirts sold in Singapore.
Jun
August 28, 2009 09:37PM
Far_Sight Wrote:
> I exercise religiously (and loathe every minute of
> it) but can't stand fast food. I generally set
> aside a few hours a week to prepare a lot of food
> for freezing, then use it for quick, convenience
> food. I could not live without my HUGE FREEZER OF
> DOOOM and a Microwave.

But then you'd be stuck with eating the same thing over and over and over for the whole week!!! =/
August 28, 2009 09:45PM
Jun:
Nah I don't just make one thing. What I usually do is take a Sunday and spend it in the kitchen. I make several dozen things and put them in the huuuuuuge freezer.

I don't mean evening main meals (though I make some of them) because I or my husband can cook MOST nights, but lunches, snacks, breakfast (usually bread baked the day before) the odd main meal if we're too busy/tired/distracted to cook, yes.

And no, BMI is not always accurate, or even close. It's a good rough indicator. Genetics can lead some people to store fat. There are fat people out there with clean and pristine arteries, there are thin people out there carrying so much cholesterol in their veins it's a miracle they aren't yet dead. And, as you pointed out, it makes no account for muscle mass or bone mass. Under BMI, I am technically underweight, or sometimes just over underweight. But I'm short, naturally lean with fine bones. Under BMI my baby brother is severely overweight - he isn't. He's fat, yes, but mainly he's just a great big tall hulk with the muscles and bone structure of an aurochs.

FS

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.
-Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous User
August 28, 2009 09:45PM
Jun Wrote:
> Come to think of it, is the BMI really always an
> accurate way to determine if a person's under or
> over weight, when muscle, bone-thickness and
> density could also significantly affect the
> derived value?

I think it's just one of those things that's good enough to be a general guide and scientific-looking enough to satisfy the plebs.
Anonymous User
August 28, 2009 09:55PM
I agree with most of your post, FS, except I do not think it is normal, natural or healthy to eat only three times a week. Ug and Zog may have had fewer opportunities to eat meat that that, but unless there is a famine I would think that they are eating some plant matter more often than that. Some people get the cranky shakies after only a few hours between meals, and that may impair cognitive and motor functioning. If going three days without food was a normal condition, then people with this type of metabolism would not fare very well. Albeit, it could be that stone-agers ate food that digested more slowly and could sustain them longer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2009 09:57PM by myce.
August 28, 2009 10:01PM
Myce:
It's not normal now. I think it's natural in that any predator is usually forced into that cycle through availability and success of hunting rather than desire or what is ideal for their body. Basically I mean that food and opportunities to eat for Ug and Zogg are relatively scarce and they often had to make do with little or no food. They have to deal with privation on a regular basis (and were probably less inclined to the cranky shakies)

The numbers, of course, were pulled out of that wonderful font of knowledge, my arse. smiling smiley But the point is vaguely the same

I think the same applies to house pets. My Agents of Human Enslavement, Dawn & Dusk and their ancient matriach, Socks are all used to being fed whenever they yowl loudly enough and will do their level best to empty the dish or bowl. And if it's too full, Socks and Dusk in particular will eat so much they vomit. (except, of course, those times, usually around 3:00am, when they yowl to be fed then ignore their food bowls once you've got up to feed them. But that's just ensuring we are well trained to answer their commands after the coming feline revolution)

FS

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.
-Sir Winston Churchill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2009 10:04PM by Far_Sight.
Jun
August 28, 2009 10:05PM
Juergen Wrote:
> Yep. They'll chop most burgers in half if you want
> them to as well. One of these with a large fries
> lasts me two meals (unless I feel like making
> myself sick).

I haven't eaten at Hungry Jacks for quite a while already, because it is too far away from my place.
Damn, I miss Carl Jr. burgers, and their cheese fries. grinning smiley

Who knows, perhaps once I've passed 30 in 2 years, I might suddenly inflate like a balloon, provided that I don't die from cardiac arrest before then. XP

Hey G, have you seen a hilarious silly advert by "Hamish and Andy" on Rove, where they put disgusting layers upon layers of beef patties steaks, for their super duper "meat lover" burgers, and even messily throw in pancakes and porridge onto it for an upsize or something like that. Not very good with descriptions, still searching for that on the web.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2009 10:14PM by Jun.
August 28, 2009 10:12PM
Jun:
"layers upon layers of beef patties, for their super duper "meat lover" burgers, and even throw in pancakes and porridge onto it."

Dear gods of mercy preserve us! *shudder*

FS

-Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous User
August 28, 2009 11:08PM
LOL FS. I missed half a page of posts up there. Pro-biotics are good for you. I think they occur naturally in yogurt and maybe some other foods. The main function of probiotics that I know of, is simply to take up space that could otherwise be occupied by the bad guys. They may actually kill pathogens but I'm not sure. This may be helpful for treating some diseases, recuperating from infections and antibiotics and may ward off illness. There may be more to it than that as they are not yet well-understood, but it is clear that your body is a whole colony of life forms and some of them are needed to keep you alive.

Jun,
The correct way to measure BMI is to have a technician dunk you into a tank of water (after you've pushed as much of the air out of your lungs as you can), and measure the volume of water displaced. The BMI is a ratio of your weight to your actual volume, not your height. If you don't have convenient access to a dunking tank, some BMI charts do take body frame into account. There are a couple different methods to find your frame size by measuring the bones in your wrist or elbow.
Anonymous User
August 29, 2009 07:41AM
Jun Wrote:
> Hey G, have you seen a hilarious silly advert by
> "Hamish and Andy" on Rove, where they put
> disgusting layers upon layers of beef patties
> steaks, for their super duper "meat lover"
> burgers, and even messily throw in pancakes and
> porridge onto it for an upsize or something like
> that. Not very good with descriptions, still
> searching for that on the web.

This?
Anonymous User
August 29, 2009 08:29AM
thumbs up Excellent. I want to eat there. Surely they will put the coffee on the side upon request, right?
Jun
August 29, 2009 10:15AM
Juergen Wrote:
> Jun Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey G, have you seen a hilarious silly advert
> by
> > "Hamish and Andy" on Rove, where they put
> > disgusting layers upon layers of beef patties
> > steaks, for their super duper "meat lover"
> > burgers, and even messily throw in pancakes and
> > porridge onto it for an upsize or something
> like
> > that. Not very good with descriptions, still
> > searching for that on the web.
>
> This?

Thanks G! thumbs up

Yeh, I suspected it wasn't Rove. They usually weren't funny.
But somehow my mind associated that clip with them.
Juerg
August 29, 2009 11:43AM
That was the Chaser before they discovered that they could get more ratings by offending people than by trying to be funny. They had a show called CNNNN where they tried to immitate the American cable news channels.

[www.youtube.com]
Juerg
August 29, 2009 12:02PM
August 29, 2009 04:55PM
"...leaving your hair full of adjectives."

LOL!!!

George, you wouldn't happen to write for those folks, would you?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!