Articles & Commentaries
Read, write and respond.

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors
Is your name welcomed below?
Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Talk about revolting:

Posted by Kairos 
Re: Talk about revolting:
August 28, 2009 02:47AM
There is chocolate that's good for you. Its called carob and pure cocoa.

The Italians use carob as a remedy for coughs.

Natural chocolate literally does grow on trees.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2009 03:00AM by Kairos.
Jun
August 28, 2009 07:49PM
Far_Sight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But I don't have a problem with fast food. As Jun
> says, it's pretty honestly labelled. Fast food is
> crap. No-one is going to eat that heart attack
> meal with ANY dellusion that it is anything but
> slow slow poison.

thumbs up smileys with beer

I never buy low-fat or diet-anything. They just taste funny.
Diet-cola is supposedly worst than normal-cola for your health.
August 28, 2009 08:09PM
Exactly. Diet crap is usually full of artificial yuck anyway, which I hate hate hate.

And this is an utter pet hate of mine. I am totally OCD about it. I hate artificial stuff in my food. I don't WANT MSG - if you copoked it properly in the first case you wouldn't need it. I don't want artificial colourings - let it be naturally coloured. I don't need artificial preservatives or artificial flavours. I don't want fruit juice that has never even shared the same room with any member of the plant kingdom, I don't want my meat mushed up, reconstituted and irradiated and I don't want my bread with so many chemicals in it that I need a periodic table to figure out what I'm eating and I don't think everything on this earth needs to have 10 tonnes of salt added. I don't want pro-biotic or omega 3 or polypeptides or bifidus digestivum or plant steroids. I don't even know what these things ARE, so why are advertisers trying to sell them to me? If you have a balanced diet you won't need these inserts anyway.

I like my food honest, I like to know what's in it. I'll eat my fats and sugars KNOWING they're fats and sugars and therefore should be eaten with sufficient sense. I don't eat diet food because it's dellusional. I want my food COOKED, I want it prepared. I DON'T want it MANUFACTURED

Yes. I am slightly obsessed. Just slightly.

And of course I say all this from the highly privileged position of having the time and the money to be so picky. Would that everyone could.

FS

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.
-Sir Winston Churchill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2009 08:09PM by Far_Sight.
Jun
August 28, 2009 08:37PM
Consumption of yummy unhealthy food (i.e. fast-food, pizzas, kebabs, ice-cream) isn't the primary problem with obesity IMO. The excessive consumption of it and inactivity is. Excessive consumption of "healthy food" can also be just as fattening.

The individual's metabolism rate could also play a part. i.e. I knew a friend who eat twice as much as me, but remained relatively skinny. He frequently jogs every weekend.

During busy days, I've pretty much eat at fast-food places for months, but still remained below 55 kg, and I'm ~170cm tall. I don't even really exercise besides the 15mins slow cycle to my university and back. The only way I seem to gain a bit of weight is when I frequent the gym for a period. But I suspect that internally, my arteries might actually be 90% blocked with all that oily food that I eat.
Anonymous User
August 28, 2009 08:45PM
You can keep MSG in a salt shaker and use that on your food. It works best with high-protein meals.
Jun
August 28, 2009 08:46PM
Juergen Wrote:
> You can keep MSG in a salt shaker and use that on
> your food. It works best with high-protein meals.

MSG in noodle soup. thumbs up
Anonymous User
August 28, 2009 08:54PM
Jun Wrote:
> Consumption of yummy unhealthy food (i.e.
> fast-food, pizzas, kebabs, ice-cream) isn't the
> primary problem with obesity IMO. The excessive
> consumption of it and inactivity is.

YES.

[www.divinecaroline.com]
Jun
August 28, 2009 08:58PM
WTF!?! eye popping smiley
From a link in your link:

Five Foods That Cause Anal Leakage
[www.divinecaroline.com]

Don't soil your pants reading it.
Jun
August 28, 2009 08:59PM
Juergen Wrote:
> [www.divinecaroline.com]-
> size--vs--now

Larger portion sold, eat half, save the rest for dinner.
Save $$$.
August 28, 2009 09:01PM
Jun:
Oh yes. I know I eat twice as much as my other half but can't put weight on come what may smiling smiley. I like telling people this while they eat salad. Having people trying to kill you with their eyes is good for the soul, y'know tongue sticking out smiley

Unhealthy foods still needs to be moderated -and more than unhealthy food. But someone who never moves all day and conumes and ungodly amount of healthy vegetables is still going to be unhealthy. But you need a lot more veggies than you need deep fried, chocolate covered bacon.

I exercise religiously (and loathe every minute of it) but can't stand fast food. I generally set aside a few hours a week to prepare a lot of food for freezing, then use it for quick, convenience food. I could not live without my HUGE FREEZER OF DOOOM and a Microwave.

FS

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.
-Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous User
August 28, 2009 09:08PM
Jun Wrote:
> Larger portion sold, eat half, save the rest for
> dinner.
> Save $$$.

Yep. They'll chop most burgers in half if you want them to as well. One of these with a large fries lasts me two meals (unless I feel like making myself sick).
Anonymous User
August 28, 2009 09:11PM
Jun Wrote:
> WTF!?! eye popping smiley
> From a link in your link:
>
> Five Foods That Cause Anal Leakage
> [www.divinecaroline.com]
>
> Don't soil your pants reading it.

Oleastra, a.k.a Olean, a.k.a “Unwashable and Indestructible Ass Grease” is found in numerous “light” and “fat-free” potato chips.

sad smiley
August 28, 2009 09:13PM
As to serving sizes - I think it's an inevitable effect of what our bodies evolved successfully with vs what our modern societies presented us with.

As FF pointed out - fats, sugars and carbs are things our bodies crave. they're things that make us feel full and satisfied. Because they're high energy - and if you are Ug and Zog trying to hunt your meals then you wanted energy and protein to keep you and your family going. You weren't interested in whether you had the correct vitamin balance or enough fibre. The health effects of the poor diet would be overwritten by the fact there was a good chance of being eaten before you were old enough to worry about it.

You needed food to keep you going. When you are on the edge of hunger or starvation, carbs, sugar and fat are what will keep you going.

And we gorge. Again, simple instinct. We live in a time of glut. We want food we can get it, for most of us on this forum food shortage is nopt only not an issue, it's not even imaginable. I will not starve. Nothing short of a nuclear holocaust reducing Britain to ashes will ever cause me to risk death through starvation. It just won't happen. Not only will i not starve, but I have the privilege of being able to eat WHENEVER I like and as much as I like.

I doubt this is a natural state for any animal. Ug and Zog back in prehistoric times probably ate maybe 3 times a week. The idea of "I'm hungry, I eat" is pretty alien. Hunger is a background state except just after a meal. So when food WAS plentiful, you GORGED. You ate way more than the body needs and store the excess. because, from an evolutionary standpoint, that is sensible when you don't know when (or even if) the next meal is coming.

So when we're presented with a HUGE plateful and a ridiculous portion size, we try to clear it. Because that is a natural part of our makeup, we can eat and WANT to eat more than we need to get us through lean times. I'm terrible for this, and have to control my portions. Let to my own devices, my sensuous love of food and rapid ferret metabolism will keep me eating to the point of actual discomfort.

FS

-Sir Winston Churchill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2009 09:14PM by Far_Sight.
Sam
August 28, 2009 09:16PM
[www.ask.com]

Sorry, FS!
August 28, 2009 09:25PM
My gut feeling tells me I need more booze!

Pass the pina colada and the scrumpy (a combination only EVER to be made when already thoroughly drunk. Like tequila).

FS

-Sir Winston Churchill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!