Articles & Commentaries
Read, write and respond.

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors
Is your name welcomed below?
Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

He's right, you know...

Posted by Ponderer 
He's right, you know...
February 02, 2021 05:39PM

Re: He's right, you know...
February 02, 2021 05:52PM
Ponderer

The GOP does, indeed, have a decision to make.

But, wrong. Not authoritarian. Please keep thinking that, though.

The growing strength and size of the populist movement, especially since Trump's fading, must scare the bejeebers out of all of you Swampcult progressives. Before you know it, you will be herding cats. Bahahahaha, ahhhhhh!
February 02, 2021 07:13PM
Rube
But, wrong. Not authoritarian. Please keep thinking that, though.

The growing strength and size of the populist movement, especially since Trump's fading, must scare the bejeebers out of all of you Swampcult progressives. Before you know it, you will be herding cats. Bahahahaha, ahhhhhh!

There are many examples throughout history and the world of populism leading to authoritarianism.

The Princeton political scientist Jan‐​Werner Müller [wrote]: “In addition to being antielitist, populists are always antipluralist,” he argues in 2016’s What Is Populism? (University of Pennsylvania Press). “Populists claim that they, and they alone, represent the people.” In that formulation, the key to understanding populism is that “the people” does not include all the people. It excludes “the enemies of the people,” who may be specified in various ways: foreigners, the press, minorities, financiers, the “1 percent,” or others seen as not being “us.”

February 02, 2021 07:35PM
The Trump cult's overestimation of their popularity is seen in presidential approval ratings. Trump never broke 50% and spent most of his presidency in the low 40s. In contrast, President Biden's approval rating is in the mid 50s.
February 02, 2021 08:12PM
Donna
The Trump cult's overestimation of their popularity is seen in presidential approval ratings. Trump never broke 50% and spent most of his presidency in the low 40s. In contrast, President Biden's approval rating is in the mid 50s.

There's no doubt that Trump was an atrocious frontman for the burgeoning populist movement in the United States.

My prediction is that, ultimately, populism will advance post Trump.

You may recall that, pb, the leading advocate of populism on SS, has consistently observed that he despises Trump and that he thinks Trump is despicable, yet voted for Trump, while blowing chow, due to his increasing conviction that populism is the way for America's near future.
February 02, 2021 08:19PM
"You may recall that, pb, the leading advocate of populism on SS, has consistently observed that he despises Trump and that he thinks Trump is despicable, yet voted for Trump, while blowing chow, due to his increasing conviction that populism is the way for America's near future." -pb

You seem to think that to a growing number of people, this populism of which you speak is going to be preferable to democracy. Do you really think people are that enthused about the idea of scrapping the American form of government we have? I mean, there are a relative handful of anarchist types of all colors who want that, but I don't think abandoning over two centuries of American democracy will ever gain the popularity you think it will.

February 02, 2021 08:20PM
If you, rube, had half the "lernin" you pretend to, you would know that populism always leads to authoritarianism and frequently to dictatorship. Curt's post tells it. The power of populism is indeed something to be afraid of. It is, by definition, anti pluralism and in that, antidemocratic.
February 02, 2021 08:22PM
I've noticed that as a group, conservatives seem to be a lot more comfortable to the idea of authoritarianism than others are.

February 02, 2021 10:35PM
If you don't like populism - you better tell your corporate tool politicians to start helping average Americans. Because that's what has led to the rise of populism on both sides - an unresponsive corporate oligarchy that wants special rules and guaranteed success for themselves at the expense of the majority of the population. Canadian opinions need not apply. eye rolling smiley
February 02, 2021 11:52PM
So what form of government do you think this populism will take if it has its way with our system. It would seem to me that democracy is ready-made for populism to work great, but the folks pb is touting and defending don't seem to want it. I'd love to know exactly what they want if not democracy.

February 03, 2021 12:23AM
meagain
If you, rube, had half the "lernin" you pretend to, you would know that populism always leads to authoritarianism and frequently to dictatorship. Curt's post tells it. The power of populism is indeed something to be afraid of. It is, by definition, anti pluralism and in that, antidemocratic.

Truth is that it rarely amounts to anything. But, I know where its often ends but, actually, I think that the American republic is strong enough to avoid that.

For the moment, though, the reality of the Swamp is so horrid, this populism is the better option, by far.
February 03, 2021 12:24AM
Indy!
If you don't like populism - you better tell your corporate tool politicians to start helping average Americans. Because that's what has led to the rise of populism on both sides - an unresponsive corporate oligarchy that wants special rules and guaranteed success for themselves at the expense of the majority of the population. Canadian opinions need not apply. eye rolling smiley

I agree. No exceptions.
February 03, 2021 12:34AM
Indy!

What's the matter, indy? Do the "Snowbirds" in Florida crowd your favourite watering holes and cause you to have to wait? Or do they outbid for the mind altering substances that seem to fuel your irrational rants?
February 03, 2021 12:39AM
Do you know the difference between an American goose and Canadian geese?

American geese go, "Honk, honk."

Canadian geese go, "Honk eh, honk eh."
February 03, 2021 12:47AM
It is Canada geese, not Canadian geese.

February 03, 2021 01:12AM
Only Swapists call them that, Curt.

February 03, 2021 02:18AM
"I'd love to know exactly what they want if not democracy."
I'd vote for a Republic that doesn't stick it's face in to the people's lives.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!