5. If you answered "yes" to the previous question, select from the following:
I want my meal replacements delivered to my home.
I want to be able to find the meals, or meal substitutions, at a local store. (Note: May not be available in all locations.)
6. Check any of the following that reflect your preferences or skip all.
I want a program that integrates an exercise plan with my diet, from the start.
I want to attend a physical center to receive face-to-face services. (Note: May not be available in all locations).
I want a plan with a recipe book(s) or a good number of recipes available online.
I want to avoid a weight-loss plan or substance that carries disturbing or potentially serious side-effects.
I prefer using a comprehensive do-it-yourself weight-loss book that is not tied to joining a plan or purchasing certain products.
7. Some programs offer online weight-loss "tools" and support such as a community, forum, calculators, calorie and nutrient counters, food tracking, progress charts, etc. Do you want this?
Yes, and I don't mind a membership fee and/or if these services are geared to a particular diet plan.
Yes, but I prefer an online program offering free do-it-yourself weight loss tools, not geared to a particular diet plan.
8. Some programs offer consultation with a weight loss expert (through internet chat, email, a forum, phone, and/or in person). Click your preference.
Yes, I want a personal consultant assigned to guide and monitor my progress (regular weigh-in might be expected).
No, but I do want access to program expert(s) to answer my questions as they arise.
9. Some plans offer a low (or very low) calorie plan or initial phase for rapid weight loss while others propose a more gradual weight loss as healthier. Which do you prefer?
Yes, I want a very low calorie plan, or intial phase (e.g. induction, kick-start, etc.).
No, I prefer a more gradual approach to weight loss, even to start - generally 1200 minimum calories.
10. Some diets involve counting and tracking certain quantities, for example: calories, points, grams of fats, protein, carbs, fiber, portions, etc. Check any of the following that reflect your preferences or skip all.
I prefer to count my meals' calories.
I prefer tracking other quantities.
I prefer a diet plan that emphasizes portion size to minimize (or avoid) counting.
I prefer a plan that offers menu planning to minimize (or avoid) counting and tracking.
11. Some plans require (or highly encourage) consumption of specific foods and/or drinks. Is this what you want?
12. Some diets prohibit (or highly discourage) specific foods and/or drinks. Is this what you want?
13. Do you want a plan that is designed, or easily adaptable, for vegetarians/vegans?
Yes vegetarian, and dairy is okay
Yes vegan; I don't eat dairy either.
No, I don't want a diet that is exclusively vegetarian or vegan.
14. I want to take/use a substance proposed to either block some fat absorption or suppress appetite. Check any of the following that reflect your preferences or skip all.
Yes, include over-the-counter (non-prescription) FDA approved for weight loss.
Yes, include prescription medication FDA approved for weight loss.
Yes, include herbal/dietary supplements and off-label prescriptions (CAUTION: Not FDA evaluated for weight-loss safety or effectiveness.)
15. Bonus question: Do you want extra weight (pun intended) given to diet plans rated among the top 10 out of 25 by the US News and World Report, 2012 “Best Diets”? (Note: Answering "yes" will also force a lower selector ranking to diets that US News didn't evaluate). Check one, both or neither.
Yes, consider best diets for weight loss effectiveness
Yes, consider best overall diets for weight loss and health combined.