Forum Index            

Cookies Consent Information
SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Join to post comments.

Is your name welcomed below? Then you are invited to post here: Politics Philosophy Diversions
Selector comment pages: Presidential Candidate Religion Christian Past Lives Philosophy Careers Dog Breeds

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Do you think David Bowie was an influence on Marylin Manson?

Posted by Κairos 
Do you think David Bowie was an influence on Marylin Manson?
January 23, 2013 10:04AM
[www.youtube.com]

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

President Eisenhower
z
Re: Do you think David Bowie was an influence on Marylin Manson?
January 23, 2013 08:07PM
I'm not familiar enough with Manson's music to make a call. Cool Bowie tune, though.
January 23, 2013 09:34PM
Yeah kind of catchy. Can't remember the precise Manson song this reminds me of, but it reminds me a bit of this one. [www.youtube.com]

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

President Eisenhower
January 24, 2013 05:38AM
Considering Manson's entire career is based mostly on cover tunes and stuff produced by Trent Reznor - I have no doubt if nothing else he stole the idea for the two different eyes from Bowie.
January 24, 2013 08:03AM
What was the two different eyes. Pictures? I read Marylin Mansons autobiography years ago. It was probably ghost written, although I'm sure it was at least based on interviews with him. He's repackaged about every idea that came before him in rock. He copied alot of Pink Floyd ideas, Doors, Kiss etc.

The song Rock is Dead is actually the name of a doors song.

President Eisenhower
January 24, 2013 09:33AM
Manson wears the contact in one eye so he has two different eyes. Bowie also had two different eyes. The story I heard was Bowie was hit in the eye with a rock as a child and the pupil in that eye is now permanently dilated - so his eyes really are different...

Manson came from here - So. Fla. - he cut his teeth playing the bars down here. The local rock critics used to make fun of him and call him by his real name (I think it's Brian Tanner) because it totally pissed him off. Then he got huge.
January 24, 2013 09:41AM
Wow weird, bowie's eyes are also different colours, although that on its own is not entirely unusual.

President Eisenhower
January 26, 2013 10:53PM
[www.youtube.com] k Bowie 4:18
And Syd Barrett 1:90

[www.youtube.com]

President Eisenhower
January 27, 2013 09:42AM
Oh no... It never should have been...

[www.youtube.com]

President Eisenhower
January 27, 2013 08:30PM
Bowie would don a burqua and play the Taliban palace if he could make a buck. It's no wonder him and Mick get along so well - they're both all about the money.
January 27, 2013 09:28PM
Sting actually did that. He did a concert in Uzbekistan for the brutal dictator of Uzbekistan's daughter for a couple million.

President Eisenhower
January 27, 2013 09:39PM
Another one who's all about the money.
February 07, 2013 09:12PM
[www.cbc.ca]

President Eisenhower
February 07, 2013 09:20PM
Video DENIED! Too bad - I would have liked to see that. I have mixed emotions about Marilyn. He's done some good stuff - especially with the Spooky Kids in the early days. But I saw him around the time of Antichrist after he had kicked everyone except Daisy Berkowitz out of the band and his stage set-up was straight out of Nazi Germany. The music was still good - the stage show... not so much. Hole was supposed to open - they cancelled and I ended up with a free ticket (my friend's wife wanted to see Hole - not Manson). So I saw Manson twice - both times free. smiling smiley
February 07, 2013 09:26PM
Here it is. Not much to see really.

[www.youtube.com]

President Eisenhower
February 07, 2013 09:42PM
Looked more like he sat down or something.

That's very similar to the stage show I saw - the banners with the lightning bolts that evoke the swastika banners like Hitler had for his big speeches. Plus the Nazi outfit - the officer's hat and the black get-up. He was nothing like that when I saw him in the bar in the early days. The first time it was more like REM meets Alice Cooper (Manson stole most of his onstage mannerisms from Cooper, btw - the riding crop, the way he moves, etc...).
February 07, 2013 09:46PM
In his autobio he said he stole about everything from 70s acts like Cooper, Kiss, The Doors, Pink Floyd etc.

The nazi thing he ripped off from Pink Floyd's the Wall, (and a little bit off the Bowie nazi thing) there's not much difference from his nazi act routine than Roger Waters'.
February 07, 2013 09:56PM
True - there's a whole sequence like that in The Wall movie. The Doors were huge in the late 70s - there was a massive revival around '79-80, so that's easy to understand too - he must have been heavily exposed to that. The first time I saw him, the band he most reminded me of was REM - he was wearing the long sleeve striped shirts, with the Dr. Seuss hat and 3 or 4 songs employed the megaphone for vocals like REM was doing at the time (mid 80s). There was a little emo there - but none of the Nazi stuff.

And the Alice Cooper moves - it's obvious he must have every Cooper album. smiling smiley
February 07, 2013 10:02PM
Waters' stage act is the same. I just saw it 7 months or so ago. He dresses up like a nazi has the big nazi-like double hammers flag up, the megaphone etc. Actually wasn't that impressed by the show. He was obviously lipsynching (his 70s voice couldn't handle the same stuff) at points, and mostly just playing off a recording on hey you it was just playing a recording from the album while he hid behind the wall on the stage iow he wasn't even playing, just the album was playing.

I felt ripped off on that one.

I'd seen Waters and Mason play 6 years ago, and that was another story, it was an amazing show. I guess that's the difference between Waters with at least another member of Pink Floyd and Waters alone.
February 07, 2013 10:17PM
Couple years ago a friend offered me a ticket to Waters - but I had to drive up to Palm Beach by myself, meet him in the parking lot somewhere, etc... etc... Too big a hassle since I wouldn't know anything except the Floyd stuff anyway (and I had already seen Floyd on Division Bell) - so I turned it down. Afterwards when I asked him about it he said it was a good show - but I've known this guy forever and I could tell from the way he was talking about it that he was really disappointed.

Saw Pink Floyd on Division Bell - which was everyone except Waters - was great. You know how I feel about Floyd - I'm over it. But they put on a great show and every song sounded like classic Pink Floyd to me. It was in a stadium and they had all the props - the pig, the wall, the big round screen, the ufo, the flying bed - everything. Perfect show for someone like me who's not a huge fan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

The best cities to meet opposite sex singles

Your 24 easiest weight loss diet options

Why most people buy the wrong laptop computer

Your best college value isn't where you'd guess

Secret to taking quality photos is this camera

Running shoes that won't cripple you or your wallet

16 dog breeds that won't kill your toddler

High earning jobs for low energy people

Which of over 100 cars & trucks is best for you?

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!