Forum Index Tips & Rules
SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Join to post comments.

Is your name welcomed below? Then you are invited to post in these forums: Politics Philosophy Diversions Theology
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Maddie

Posted by Indy! 
Re: Maddie
April 24, 2012 08:10PM
Curt Anderson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maddie,
> You can correct me, but my understanding of
> Hinduism is that it is believed that suffering is
> essentially punishment for past (life) bad
> behavior. So if a person is struggling in a lower
> caste and in miserable poverty, the message is
> that they deserve it. It's a blame the victim
> mentality. It's not surprising that the
> Christian missionaries found some converts.

Curt, what you're referring to is the law of Karma - just deserts. Back then, education was denied to lower caste Hindus. So it's highly unlikely they would have had the inclination to analyse their life from the point of view of a lofty concept like Karma. It is more credible to believe they converted to Christianity to escape the oppression from the higher castes - why not when they see this new religion which promises benefits like education, food and medicine, and more importantly an absence of caste system.

Maddie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2012 09:55PM by madmadmadonna.
April 24, 2012 09:43PM
"The hundreds of $millions Americans have invested in missionary activity accounts for the reality that Christianity is growing exponentially in China and India and Africa and that S Korea is nearly predominantly Christian!" -pb

You say that like it's a good thing...

Obesity in China: Waistlines are Expanding Twice as Fast as GDP
Obesity on rise in Indian school children
Africa—Yes, Africa—Has an Obesity Problem
Korean population has recently experienced a rapid increase in obesity

I may have to greatly expand My Thesis. I am apparently onto something here...

"Bush lied us into a war, Obama lied us into health care - which one are you more upset by?" -Jimmy Dore
April 25, 2012 02:38AM
madmadmadonna Wrote:
> Indy! Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The real problem is you can't discuss religion
> > ever - for any reason. blah, blah...

> Not true with all religious people. Your
> encounters have been with American religious
> people - as is the case with the majority of
> Americans, they think the world begins from Mexico
> to Alaska from south to north and New York to CA,
> east to west. This view clouds the mindset of your
> countrymen. Intelligent AND religious people
> prefer to refrain from wasting their time and
> energy discussing religion with people with that
> kind of mindset.
>
> The very fact most if you take silence for
> ignorance or inadequacy speaks for itself!
> Projection!

Maddie - nonsense! Look at all the stereotypes you needed in that post! This is really not worth debating (and everyone else is already beating you up smiling smiley ), but I will say... I'm agnostic (not atheist), my father is a deacon in the Catholic Church and why do people in other countries always think America is not diversified?!!!

Comparing Cities: What is the most ethnically and culturally diverse city in the world?

Since foreign born population on Dubai and Hong Kong is skewed on low skilled labor from India and China respectively, I would say Toronto, Miami and LA are the leading cities with diversity (in terms of foreign born residents).

1. Dubai 83.00%
2. Toronto 44.90%
3. Hong Kong 38.00%
4. Miami 36.50% <---------------- Indy lives here.
5. Los Angeles 34.70%
6. Riyadh 34.00%
7. Sydney 31.20%
8. San Francisco 29.50%
9. Merbourne 28.50%
10. New York 27.90%
11. London 27.10%
12. Houston 21.40%
13. Washington DC 19.90%
14. Singapore 18.30%
15. Dallas 17.70%
16. Paris 17.60%
17. Chicago 17.50%
18. Moscow 10.90%

[www.quora.com]
April 25, 2012 06:50AM
No one beats Maddie up, honey. It's your ego which tells you Maddie is beaten. As long as Maddie is blessed with spiritual faith, no one beats her up on account of religion.

btw, don't bloody analyse everything with silly statistics. You know what I meant about the general frog in the pond American attitude. Why, I have personal experience! I post anything to do with India or Pakistan or Burma or whatever, only a couple of people like Curt or you or Whats (and of course Kairos when he was here) respond. Others are simply not interested in anything not related to the USA. People like you are exceptions among the general populace - I salute that. My American boss who is a PhD from Harvard said something similar about his countrymen, that it's worse among those who haven't traveled outside the country.

Then how can they be expected to know how religious people in the rest of the world behave? So, I agree. This discussion is not worth carrying forward since i am talking to folks with a half baked perspective about religion. I realized it after the second post itself and that's why I tried to leave it. But you guys wouldn't leave me alone! Anyway, nothing you say will provoke me to come back to this thread again. Don't let's waste time, there's a dear! Let's talk about the pipeline from Antartica or the changing characteristics of polar bear poo due to global warming or something cool smiley

Maddie
Anonymous User
April 25, 2012 07:58AM
Some of us (including me) violated the purpose of this forum, as defined at the top of this page which states that Diversions is a "home for not-so serious conversations and topics not covered in our other forums".
A. A discussion of Hinduism could have been posted in the Philosophy/Religion forum.
B. We got too serious.
April 25, 2012 08:12AM
Very surprised at the stereotypes. I think your Harvard boss has misled you. Then again - Harvard... Massachusetts... not a very diverse area. Perhaps it is the boss who has a problem with diversity? Hmmm... eye rolling smiley
Sam
April 25, 2012 04:35PM
By far, Maddie makes more anti-American remarks than everyone else (if any) combined who have ever made any comment that disparages another country or culture here. Anti-religion is as universal as religion and it doesn't matter if you are xian or hindu (or both, lmao) because there are no borders when it comes to crazy. Methinks Maddie is simply too sensitive and ignorant about what religion really is to support her claims or position on issues related. I hope she stays away this time because it's silly to keep trying to get someone interested in discussing her religion(s, lol) when she brings up subjects related to it but refuses to recognize that and then tries to keep those who do and are interested in the subject from commenting. Her "style" here reminds me of my teenage granddaughters facebook pages: adolescent and over-emotionally dramatic. Pfft...Besides, talking ABOUT Maddie is much more fun than talking TO her, lol...Just how many gods DO you worship, MadOne? Your hindu he-she god is very pretty, btw. I can see why Indy! fell in love at first sight, lol...
April 25, 2012 04:40PM
Sam, I love you but I really do wish you'd stop trying to chase all the believers away from here.

"Bush lied us into a war, Obama lied us into health care - which one are you more upset by?" -Jimmy Dore
Sam
April 25, 2012 05:34PM
I'm not trying to chase them all away. I want to talk to them about their beliefs but they would rather (say they will) run away than do that it seems. That said, if they can't stand the heat, they should get out of the kitchen. And seriously, if a comment from me can make them run, well, they're pretty lame because I am the most powerless debater of all time. If someone takes it personally when I ridicule the institution of religion, well, they shouldn't be posting on a forum where that is a common topic. Would you rather I leave, Pondy? Be honest and if the answer is yes, I certainly will. I will not, however, stay and change my "style" of dealing with this craziness...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 06:12PM by Sam.
pb
April 25, 2012 06:08PM
I said American religious people (read MISSIONARIES etc) are the sort of Christians these atheists have interacted with and that gave them the wrong idea of Christianity. Missionaries are ONLY concerned about converting people to Christianity, and that's not what Christ intended true Christians to be like. Missionaries give Christians a bad name. Instead of helping spread Christianity, they invoke antagonistic feelings about religion amongst people.

I know many missionaries from this side of it. I think you are mischaracterizing them.

Apparently, they don't give Christians a bad name with everyone. A hundred years ago 80% of practicing Christians lived in Europe and North America. Today, 80% live in Asia and Africa.

I do appreciate reading your take on them, though.

Oh yes, they have succeeded in converting many. But in my state for instance, many so-called lower caste Hindus were converted by missionaries in the 19th century and the purpose of the many of these Hindus was to overcome the oppression imposed on them by higher caste people. They saw Christianity as a short cut to resist oppression. After equality was established in the 20th century, many converted back to Hinduism.

From what I hear, the number of Christians is expanding rapidly in your part of the world.

I'd love for you to break down what you wrote. Obviously, the people converted in the 19th century are now dead. They themselves could not convert back.. Who is converting back.

As far as the issue of oppression: When Christianity is true to Jesus, it ALWAYS attacks oppression. Read what Jesus says about Judgment in Matthew 25:31-46?
April 25, 2012 07:14PM
Ponderer Wrote:
> Sam, I love you but I really do wish you'd stop
> trying to chase all the believers away from here.

Pondy, you're such a sweetheart. tongue sticking out smiley
It's not easy to survive on a board teeming with atheists and agnostics when you're a believer, especially someone like me who even the so-called believers do not support. But in spite of being singled out for my views, I have survived on this board since November 2004. I function like the "sun in Seattle" as someone called me once, mainly because I feel like the odd one out here. But that's ok. I like you lot in spite of our differences. Yes, I AM sensitive AND proud of it. But spite or insults will not drive me away form here, maybe make me post less and shut my mouth up about religion, that's all.

Maddie
April 25, 2012 07:39PM
I'd love for you to break down what you wrote. Obviously, the people converted in the 19th century are now dead. They themselves could not convert back.. Who is converting back. - pb

Maddy was very clear. She said "After equality was established in the 20th century, many converted back to Hinduism." So many of the people who converted to Hindu before equality was established converted back after equality was established.
Sam
April 25, 2012 07:55PM
This thread is not supposed to be about religion anyway. It's obviously all about Maddie and how much she dislikes talking about her religions, both of them. Now, MaddieDear, lol, you know what it feels like in RL for atheists and even some agnostics whose daily lives are teeming with religious crazies. At least you can escape your discomfort by leaving this board or ignoring certain comments. Singled out for ridicule on a religion forum for not wanting to discuss religion? Lmao, poor MadOne. You've been here for 8 years and you still expect different results when you come here? I don't call you Mad for nothing...~Fight for your beliefs!~ Start by answering this question: how can someone worship more than one god when one of the gods only wants you to worship it?
April 25, 2012 08:21PM
The day Curt asks me to leave this board, I will, Sam, not until then. He owns this board, not your daddy. People I respect can succeed in belittling me, and that doesn't include you. What you say is like water off a duck's back. So save your bitchiness for someone else. It's wasted on me.

btw I notice you use lol and lmao in most posts addressed to me (you always feel the need to laugh at me for some baffling reason!), totally out of context. You perhaps need to spend some time on your grand daughter's FB pages to learn how to use lol and lmao in the correct context - either do that, or behave with some dignity and maturity expected from a 50 plus woman.

Maddie
April 25, 2012 08:45PM
Sam's not saying that she wants you to leave this board, Mads. She's asking you reasonable questions.

People tend to be more confrontational in online discussions than real-life ones. You should know that by now, Mads. Grow some skin.
April 25, 2012 08:48PM
Sam's not asking her to leave. I stand corrected. She's just hoping she stays away this time.

April 25, 2012 08:58PM
Sam Wrote:
> At least you can escape your
> discomfort by leaving this board or ignoring
> certain comments.

English may not be my first language, but I am not that bad, Peety Pondy!

Peets, I don't plan to grow more skin - wish to retain some sensitivity.

Reasonable questions, Peets? Sam? SAM??? REASONABLE??? Sam gets personal during discussions and uses insulting language and I don't see a point in carrying on discussions with people like that. The very fact I am on this board for so many years proves that not only do I have a thick skin but have been able to carry on sane conversations most of the time. If I fail to answer what seems to you reasonable questions, then there's got to be a reason, right?

Maddie
April 25, 2012 09:01PM
The only trouble I have with Sam is that she can dish it out but she complains bitterly when people give her the same treatment.
April 25, 2012 09:04PM
Peets, would you care to repeat Sam's "reasonable questions" to me in a language I can understand (devoid of insults and silly lols and lmaos)? I will try to answer them.

Maddie
April 25, 2012 09:08PM
> At least you can escape your
> discomfort by leaving this board or ignoring
> certain comments.

English may not be my first language, but I am not that bad, Peety Pondy!

What's so bad about that statement? She's not asking you to leave the board. She's just pointing out that you have ways you can escape it if you want. You're too touchy.

Reasonable questions, Peets? Sam? SAM??? REASONABLE???

Well which question was unreasonable?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum