Forum Index Tips & Rules
SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Join to post comments.

Is your name welcomed below? Then you are invited to post in these forums: Politics Philosophy Diversions Theology
pb
Jeff Fisher for Eagles' Coach
October 06, 2011 03:52PM
He cut his coaching teeth with the Eagles in the Buddy Ryan days.

Andy Reid has lost his magic. The dream team has become a nightmare.

It's time--at the end of the season.

------------------------------

"...this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth." -- the ONE, Billy Joe McAllister Day 2008
Re: Jeff Fisher for Eagles' Coach
October 06, 2011 05:17PM
Andy's getting desperate. The West Coast offense has been dead for years and he's lost without it. When you go the Dan Snyder route - trying to buy the Super Bowl with a bunch of high-priced studs - you know it's time to abandon ship. It might be fun to watch if it weren't for poor Namdi Asumgha. Talk about destroying a guy's career - he's the number one shut down corner on the planet and they have him playing ZONE! LOL! WTF? They paid him $60 mil so they could play him like your average every day nickel back? They could have used their 3rd round pick on some lower level project and got the same results. Meanwhile Namdi's old team would be a serious contender if they still had him plugging the holes back there.
pb
October 06, 2011 09:02PM
Indy! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Andy's getting desperate. The West Coast offense
> has been dead for years and he's lost without it.
> When you go the Dan Snyder route - trying to buy
> the Super Bowl with a bunch of high-priced studs -
> you know it's time to abandon ship.

Well, I think that the higher ups engineered that. What has happened is the recent drafts haven't produced good enough players to sign to long-term contracts which is what Andy did in the past.

> It might be
> fun to watch if it weren't for poor Namdi Asumgha.
> Talk about destroying a guy's career - he's the
> number one shut down corner on the planet and they
> have him playing ZONE! LOL! WTF? They paid him $60
> mil so they could play him like your average every
> day nickel back? They could have used their 3rd
> round pick on some lower level project and got the
> same results. Meanwhile Namdi's old team would be
> a serious contender if they still had him plugging
> the holes back there.

Amen. Namdi is a class guy, though.

If any survives, count on there being a whole new bunch of coaches to do something with this talent.
October 07, 2011 06:57AM
Namdi is such a solid player he'll pick up the zone and excel at that too - if that's what they want him to do. He's a physical specimen and he has the brains and character to do anything they want him too. But why? You don't pay a guy $60 mil to play zone - you pay him that much to shut down the best player on the other team. You put him on Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson and take those guys out of the game. Make the other team beat you without their stud.

The Philly drafts suck because Andy is yesterday's news. He's still drafting for the west coast offense and that aint flying anymore.
pb
October 07, 2011 02:37PM
Well, Andy's had quite a few defensive clunkers in the draft.
October 07, 2011 07:54PM
Who's fault is that? And it all goes back to what I said - you can't get away with short slow DBs anymore like you could with the west coast. Now you have big guys going deep and jumping high - not running backs coming out of the backfield for an 8 yd catch. It's a different game - Andy's stuck in the past.
pb
October 07, 2011 07:57PM
Agreed.

------------------------------

"...this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth." -- the ONE, Billy Joe McAllister Day 2008
October 07, 2011 08:04PM
Now you have big guys going deep and jumping high - not running backs coming out of the backfield for an 8 yd catch. - Indy!

My Ravens have both. Plus that spectacular D. Which is why they'll be playing in the Super Bowl this season.
pb
October 07, 2011 08:09PM
PowerToThePeople Wrote:
> Now you have big guys going deep and jumping high
> - not running backs coming out of the backfield
> for an 8 yd catch. - Indy!
>
> My Ravens have both. Plus that spectacular D.
> Which is why they'll be playing in the Super Bowl
> this season.

Two words:

Joe Flacco

The AFC is wide open. The Pats can't stop anyone. The Steelers are too old. The Jets need to fix the O line and learn how to run. The Raves have a shot, but they also have their flaw.
October 07, 2011 08:20PM
Well you may have a point there. He's currently rated 22nd among QBs.

[espn.go.com]

He looked pretty flawless against the Steelers, though.
pb
October 07, 2011 08:34PM
Did you hear Brett Favre's classless comments about Aaron Rodgers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2011 08:34PM by pb.
October 07, 2011 08:43PM
No. But nothing Brett Favre said would surprise me. He seems like a dickhead.
pb
October 07, 2011 09:09PM
PowerToThePeople Wrote:
> No. But nothing Brett Favre said would surprise
> me. He seems like a dickhead.

Indeed, he does.
October 07, 2011 11:43PM
Favre's the worst kind of athlete - one that can't retire gracefully. He had his time - he was great for a period. Move on. Disappear until they elect you to the HoF (which is a sham btw) - then accept your bust and disappear again, please.

Ravens have a tough road to the Super Bowl.
Anonymous User
October 08, 2011 12:10AM
PowerToThePeople Wrote:
> No. But nothing Brett Favre said would surprise
> me. He seems like a dickhead.

You can read and listen here for yourself. It seems to me that Favre is being unfairly pilloried. Go to [content.usatoday.com]

The source of the controversy: Favre told the station that he was not shocked that Rodgers led the Packers to a triumph in Super Bowl XLV. "The biggest surprise to me,'' he said, "would be that he didn't do it sooner.''Favre also called the Packers' Super Bowl MVP signal-caller "very bright'' and a "tremendous talent.''"It is very (infrequent) when I do interviews,'' Favre said. "I was very gracious and complimentary of the Packers and Aaron Rodgers.''
October 08, 2011 08:09AM
Yeah there was that. OTOH there was:

"I don’t think there’s any pressure on him now, the talent around him is even better than when I was there. So I’m really kind of surprised it took him so long.

Here's a comment from Kevin Seifert [espn.go.com] -

You know Favre. His answers are so meandering that nothing he says comes off like a sledgehammer over the head. On the whole, this response was pretty neutral on Rodgers. But there were some very Favre-like passive shots in there as well. Is Rodgers a great quarterback, or did he "just kind of [fall] into a good situation?" And does the Packers' overall talent diminish our view of how effective he is? Finally, Favre made clear that Rodgers "got a chance to watch and see successful teams do it right." So Favre taught him how to win?

I agree it's being overblown. After reading about it, I thought Favre's comments were pretty innocuous.
pb
October 08, 2011 04:21PM
Lots of backhanded compliments.

Rodgers will win more Super Bowls than Brett and he knows it.
Anonymous User
October 08, 2011 09:12PM
pb Wrote:
> Lots of backhanded compliments.
>
> Rodgers will win more Super Bowls than Brett and
> he knows it.

You never know. I remember when Dan Marino was considered a lock to win a lot of Superbowls. At this point they are tied with one Superbowl win each.
October 09, 2011 08:02AM
I stand by what was said. I don't think there is anyone who believes last year's Pack was a better team (in context) to the team Favre took to the SB (remember all those injuries to last year's team? Please.). And Favre never helped Rodgers when they played together, so for him to now pretend like Rodgers learned everything from sitting on the bench watching the master play is pure horse hockey. Favre is like Joe Montana - neither one were good sports and neither knew when it was time to pack it in.

Marino never had the kind of teams Favre did. By the time Marino got to the Fins, the game had pretty much passed Shula by. He lived off Marino's arm all those years - they never had a decent running game (or even ONE decent running back) and the defenses were usually average. All those wins came on Marino's arm and nobody - not even Elway could carry a team all the way to a Super Bowl win by themselves.

Speaking of Shula - my second favorite Don Shula quote is from the day the Fins drafted Marino. Shula was watching the board hoping Marino was going to be there, but the Jets picked in the slot before Miami and they wanted a QB too. When NY picked Ken O'Brien, Shula turned to the FIns GM and said... "Who?"
pb
October 17, 2011 07:12PM
Curt Anderson Wrote:
> pb Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Lots of backhanded compliments.
> >
> > Rodgers will win more Super Bowls than Brett
> and
> > he knows it.
>
>
> You never know. I remember when Dan Marino was
> considered a lock to win a lot of Superbowls. At
> this point they are tied with one Superbowl win
> each.

Marino lost the only Super Bowl he reached.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum