Bookmark and Share  
Home Forum Index Politics Philosophy Diversions Theology Join to post Tips & Rules
SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Morgellons Disease

Posted by PowerToThePeople 
Morgellons Disease
October 05, 2011 09:26PM
This is one of the strangest diseases I've ever heard of. I found out about it from a featured MSN article on the top ten strangest diseases. They ranked it #1.

Musical artist Joni Mitchell suffers from it.

From [www.timesocket.com] -

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced today that it is launching a study to learn about an unexplained condition that causes people to feel as if they have foreign substances growing from their bodies.

People with the condition, referred to as Morgellons disease, say they have fibers and other inorganic material growing out of their skin.

“We earnestly want to learn more about this unexplained illness, which affects the lives of those who suffer from it,” said Dr. Michele Pearson, principal investigator leading the study for the CDC, in a press release. “Those who suffer have questions, and we want to help them.”

“We have a team of epidemiologists, laboratorians and pathologists to carry out the study,” Pearson said.

The study will be conducted in conjunction with Kaiser Permanente’s Northern California Division of Research. [...]

“What I saw were bundles of fibers, *** of fibers,” [biologist Mary] Leitao says. “There was red and blue.” Even stranger, they glowed under ultraviolet light. ]...]

Forensic scientist Ron Pogue at the Tulsa Police Crime Lab in Oklahoma checked a Morgellons sample against known fibers in the FBI’s national database. “No, no match at all. So this is some strange stuff,” Pogue said in 2006. He thought the skeptics were wrong. “This isn’t lint. This is not a commercial fiber. It’s not.”

How it typically looks:

Magnified 8X:

Fibers removed from a lip lesion. 60X:

Image showing autofluorescence of fibers:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 09:27PM by PowerToThePeople.
pb
Re: Morgellons Disease
October 05, 2011 09:57PM
Don't it always seem to go...?
Anonymous User
October 06, 2011 12:17AM
My doctor/friend said that Morgellon's Disease is "bull$hit".

Mayo Clinic study
A study conducted of 108 patients at the Mayo Clinic was published in Archives of Dermatology on May 16, 2011. The study failed to find evidence of skin infestation despite doing skin biopsies and examining specimens provided by the patients. The study, which was conducted between 2001 and 2007, concluded that the feeling of skin infestation was a delusion, delusional parasitosis.
[en.wikipedia.org]
October 06, 2011 12:55AM
Look at the photos, the autofluorescent red, black, blue or white fibers. Scientists who've looked at these fibers have never seen anything like them. I think if you read more about the disease, you'd come to the same conclusion I and an increasing number of researchers have, that it's a real disease. Kaiser Permanente started a study on it in 2008. I'll see if I can find the results.

Btw, for thirty years, doctors said that ulcerative colitis was bullshit, too.

The CDC will be releasing the results of their study supposedly in the near future.

I've done a lot of reading on this. There's no question in my mind that it's a real disease, but we'll see.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 01:20AM by PowerToThePeople.
October 06, 2011 01:22AM
Have to say, Curt - no offense or anything - but the "doctors" you have there in Oregon seem to have some very strange medical opinions.
Anonymous User
October 06, 2011 04:33AM
Indy! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have to say, Curt - no offense or anything - but
> the "doctors" you have there in Oregon seem to
> have some very strange medical opinions.

Apparently you think that at the Mayo Clinic they have some very strange medical opinions too. My doctor/friend sent me this link... [www.sciencebasedmedicine.org] The doctor/writer of the article concludes:
At present there is no compelling evidence that Morgellons exists as a discrete entity separate from DP. The CDC is currently studying the condition (which they are calling unexplained dermopathy) but has not yet made any report of their findings.

My review of the evidence is that it best supports the conclusion that Morgellons is a mostly a psychocultural condition (it may be triggered in cases by an underlying skin condition). It is a combination of a cultural phenomenon spreading mostly online, giving specific manifestation to an underlying psychological condition. I am willing to be convinced that there is a biological process going on, but so far no compelling evidence to support this hypothesis has been put forward.
October 06, 2011 07:53PM
Then what' s causing the multi-colored autofluorescent fibers that have no match with any known fibers?

The medical establishment has historically been very slow to recognize new diseases. Ulcerative Colitis is one example. AIDS is another.

In 1983, a group of scientists and doctors at the Pasteur Institute in France, led by Luc Montagnier, discovered a new virus in a patient with signs and symptoms that often preceded AIDS. They named the virus lymphadenopathy-associated virus, or LAV, and sent samples to Robert Gallo's team in the United States. Their findings were peer reviewed and slated for publication in Science.

At an April 23, 1984 press conference in Washington, D.C., Margaret Heckler, Secretary of Health and Human Services, announced that Gallo and his co-workers had discovered a virus that is the "probable" cause of AIDS. This virus was initially named HTLV-III. That same year, Casper Schmidt responded to Gallo's papers with The Group-Fantasy Origins of AIDS, which was published by the Journal of Psychohistory. Schmidt posited that AIDS was not an actual disease, but rather an example of "epidemic hysteria" in which groups of people are subconsciously acting out social conflicts. Schmidt compared AIDS to documented cases of epidemic hysteria in the past which were mistakenly thought to be infectious. (Schmidt himself would later die of AIDS in 1994.)

- From AIDS Denialism (Wikipedia) [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 08:02PM by PowerToThePeople.
Anonymous User
October 06, 2011 08:07PM
PowerToThePeople Wrote:
> Then what' s causing the multi-colored
> autofluorescent fibers that have no match with any
> known fibers?

I am suspicious of the "any known fibers" claim. You mean that chemists and other scientists can't analyze and identify what the the strange substance is?

My wife told me about one case which she was reading about. A person who presumably had Morgellons had a some strange fibers eminating from their wounds. It was later determined that the patient would compulsively scratch their legs while sleeping and the blood from their self-inflicted injuries would scab over fibers from their blankets.
October 06, 2011 08:27PM
I'm sure that can happen and that not every case brought to a physician is evidence of an actual disease. But there have been at least several researchers who have examined the fibers under a microscope. I posted some of those photos. None of them have been able to identify the fibers. One researcher attempted to match them to the FBI's catalogue of known fibers which they use in investigations, and found no match.

The CDC has been studying Morgellons since 2008 and so far has not published its findings, although I read somewhere that the study has been completed. If Morgellons is really just "delusional parasitosis" as Mayo and others claim, I would think that the CDC would have been able to corroborate that pretty quickly. But as I said, we'll see.
Anonymous User
October 06, 2011 08:42PM
PowerToThePeople Wrote:

> The CDC has been studying Morgellons since 2008
> and so far has not published its findings,
> although I read somewhere that the study has been
> completed.

[www.cdc.gov] We [The CDC] recently completed the data analysis. A final report has been submitted for publication in a peer-reviewed scientific journal.
October 06, 2011 09:13PM
Morgellons Disease; More Questions Than Answers and Sufferers are Dying]

I have been involved in Morgellons relief for 5 years now. During that time, I have run into so many questions that remain unanswered while the suffering and death continue with no end in sight;

What is Morgellons?
How did I get it?
Where is the US government help or support?
Why is there no meaningful research being done?
What medical tests are there to detect Morgellons?
How many kinds of Morgellons are there?
Which Doctors should I see and which are just in it for the money?
How do MD’s get away with making a psychiatric diagnosis when that is the purview of Psychiatrists?
Why is the CDC delaying releasing their report so much?
Why are so many MD’s “cashing in” on Morgellons without adding any value to patients?
How can I tell if Morgellons is contagious?
Do newborn babies get Morgellons?
My pets seem to have Morgellons; what can I do?
How can I reduce or eliminate Morgellons symptoms in specific areas:

scalp?
eyes?
ears?
sinuses?
for women, “downstairs”?

15. Can Morgellons kill me or do I have to do that myself?
16. Are there answers or am I doomed?

These are all important questions and as a Morgellons sufferer you deserve to have your answers.
We can provide them for you.

With many thousands of Morgellons sufferers becoming symptom-free, now is the time to end your suffering. We can guide you out of the woods and back to being “YOU” again. We guarantee it. End your suffering now.
Anonymous User
January 26, 2012 09:18AM
PowerToThePeople Wrote:
> I've done a lot of reading on this. There's no
> question in my mind that it's a real disease, but
> we'll see.

PttP,
You were correct. Morgellons is a real disease. A psychiatric disease.

Just getting the research done was a major coup for Morgellons sufferers, who had been clamoring for a serious scientific study of their illness for years. But by ruling out infectious and environmental causes of the disease and suggesting it's a delusional condition, the CDC report was disappointing, patients said Wednesday. Source: [www.sfgate.com]

CHICAGO (Reuters) - After an exhaustive search, researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have found no sign of an infectious agent, parasite or environmental exposure that could explain the mysterious skin condition known as Morgellons disease.

People with the condition complain of crawling, itching and stinging sensations and they often see tiny fibers or filaments that poke out of sores on their skin.

But the long-awaited government study, released on Wednesday in the journal PLoS One, found these fibers were mostly bits of cotton and nylon.

"We found no evidence that this condition is contagious, or that suggests the need for additional testing for an infectious disease as a potential cause," said Dr. Mark Eberhard, director of CDC's Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, whose study appears in the journal PLoS One.

Eberhard said the study was not able to show the exact cause of the condition, but roughly half of the people in the study had illnesses, and most were psychiatric in nature.

Doctors have long suspected the condition was psychiatric rather than infectious. Source:[www.chicagotribune.com]

The study cost nearly $600,000. Its long-awaited results, released Wednesday, conclude that Morgellons exists only in the patients' minds. [www.newsday.com]

Reading between the sensitively worded lines, the study appears to be saying Morgellons — which some in the medical community describe as delusional parasitosis — is in the sufferers' minds. But the CDC, which for years received pleading calls from sufferers seeking help, was not willing to put it in such bald terms."Where we're on the highest ground is to say we found no infectious cause and we don't think there's an environmental link. And the fibres are inanimate objects that are not playing a role in this," said Mark Eberhard, a parasitologist who was the senior author on the study. [www.winnipegfreepress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2012 09:39AM by Curt Anderson.
January 26, 2012 08:26PM
The experts can't explain it, so they conclude that sufferers of Morgellons are nuts.

I'm not convinced either way.

Btw that newsday link doesn't link to an article on Morgellons.

From the winnipegfreepress link:

"Where we're on the highest ground is to say we found no infectious cause and we don't think there's an environmental link. And the fibres are inanimate objects that are not playing a role in this," said Mark Eberhard, a parasitologist who was the senior author on the study. [emphasis mine]

The phrase "We don't think" denotes uncertainty. It's a sort of disclaimer. If they were certain, they would have said "there is no environmental link".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2012 08:33PM by PowerToThePeople.
Sam
January 26, 2012 08:34PM
It could be the result of alien biological interventions and/or experimentation. We should know for sure sometime after 12-21-12.
January 26, 2012 09:06PM
The Morgellons Research Foundation (MRF) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization established in 2002 in honor of a two-year-old child with an unknown illness, which his mother labeled "Morgellons disease". The MRF is dedicated to raising awareness and research funding for this poorly understood illness, which can be disfiguring and disabling, and affects people of all age groups including an increasing number of children. The number of families currently registered with the MRF is believed to represent a fraction of the true number of affected families.

[www.morgellons.org]

Yes - I have no doubt that TWO YEAR OLD was imagining his disease. eye rolling smiley
Anonymous User
January 27, 2012 12:57AM
Indy! Wrote:
>
> Yes - I have no doubt that TWO YEAR OLD was
> imagining his disease. eye rolling smiley

Indy,
Nobody at the CDC says that a two year old, nor anyone else for that matter, imagined the illness. (Not to say that the mother didn't imagine it)The "mystery fibers" that have been protruding from people's sores have been identified as "bits of cotton and nylon" material---which would happen if a person scratched their skin raw and clothing or blanket fiblers got into the scabs. However, the CDC in a study that lasted for years determined that many of the people affected had diagnosed cognitive issues and/or psychological issues. The areas of the body where "Morgellons" appeared was in areas where some people could and do routinely scratch--in other words they caused their own wounds. This isn't to say that these people are raving lunatics. This sort intense and uncontrolled scratching probably falls somewhere between nail biting, hair pulling and violent self-mutilation.

After spending about $600,000 and seeing a couple hundred Morgellons patients they satisfactory ruled out environmental causes and there was no indications that it was contageous or an inherited disease. When you rule out all the reasonably possible causes you are pretty much left with psychological illness, especially given the known mental problems of the patients in the study. It is likely scratching that people do unconsciously or in their sleep. The "crawling skin" issues they complain of is probably in their heads or caused by the medications they are taking.

PttP,
You act like science is religion when you highlighted "we don't think". Science is always open doored. Scientists tend to be cautious in their statements.
January 27, 2012 02:03AM
Curt,

The scientific and medical communities don't ever say "We think cigarettes cause heart disease and lung cancer" - they say "Cigarettes cause heart disease and lung cancer".
Anonymous User
January 27, 2012 03:36AM
PowerToThePeople Wrote:
> Curt,
>
> The scientific and medical communities don't ever
> say "We think cigarettes cause heart disease and
> lung cancer" - they say "Cigarettes cause heart
> disease and lung cancer".

PttP,
That's because those statements are true and be proven to be true. The statement "raindrops fall from the sky" is also true. It does not mean that it will rain here today (which may or may not be true). Not every cigarette causes heart disease or lung cancer. Not every person who smokes cigarettes gets heart disease or lung cancer. But it is true, as sure as the rain will fall, that some people who smoke cigarettes will get heart disease and lung cancer.

Now examine this statement: "...we're on the highest ground is to say we found no infectious cause and we don't think there's an environmental link". Obviously to rule out EVERY environmental cause is impossible, as every bug, plant, substance and element on earth would need to be tested to be ruled out. But the CDC likely tested the possible, logical and local substances that the patients may have had contact with. With a slight rephrasing, the scientist could have truthfully stated "...we're on the highest ground is to say we found no infectious cause nor an environmental link".

Expect the Morgellons people to complain that not every environmental substance was tested. And if every substance had been tested they'd complain it wasn't tested long enough. Or on enough people.

No doctor, no autopsy worker, can state unequivocally that cigarette smoking caused a person's heart disease. The patient may have had a naturally bad ticker, ate poorly or come in contact with something that caused heart disease. But we know that cigarettes are risk factor for various diseases.
January 27, 2012 11:41PM
Getting back to the 2-yr-old, there is obviously some kind of psychological problem if the child is habitually scratching as you suggest. You'll forgive me if I hold open the possibility that the CDC might not have all the facts.
January 27, 2012 11:55PM
It's clear to me that the researchers, by phrasing their conclusions that way, are leaving themselves an out.

There's a parallel between medical researchers, who after conducting exhaustive studies of a certain mystery illness which didn't reveal any underlying physiological or environmental factors, conclude falsely as a sort of default that the cause must be psychological in origin, and those throughout human history who upon failing to find scientific explanations for various mysterious medical conditions, e.g. epilepsy, conclude falsely that they're caused by demons, or even God. So as God or Satan have often been used as default culprits for poorly understood medical phenomenon in the past, so are the diagnoses of psychological factors often used as defaults for poorly understood medical conditions today.

This doesn't mean that psychological factors are never at the root of seemingly physical health problems; there really is such thing as a psychosomatic illness. But I think far too often, medical researchers, perhaps too embarrassed to admit that their study was inconclusive or that they quite simply are stumped, fall back on the default diagnosis of psychological illness.

The following case could turn out to be a case in point, although at this juncture it's too early to say.

Activist Erin Brockovich looking into teens' mystery ailment

Environmental activist Erin Brockovich has started her own investigation into the mysterious illness that's caused symptoms of facial tics and verbal outbursts among teenagers in Le Roy, N.Y., in light of new evidence about a toxic chemical spill more than 40 years ago that caused water and ground contamination nearby.

Brockovich gained notoriety with a 2000 movie (Erin Brockovich, starring Julia Roberts) about her efforts to expose a toxic chemical coverup in California.

She told USA TODAY on Thursday that after families of affected teens and other community members asked her to look into the Le Roy case, she has spent the past week studying federal and state reports of a 1970 train derailment that spilled cyanide and an industrial solvent called trichloroethene within 3 miles of the high school attended by the 12 girls who started reporting neurological symptoms last fall. Three other teens, including one boy, are reportedly experiencing similar symptoms.

A statement issued by the school district said "medical and environmental investigations have not uncovered any evidence that would link the neurological symptoms to anything in the environment or of an infectious nature." An indoor-air-quality report and a mold report are posted on the school district's website.

"When I read reports like this that the New York Department of Health and state agencies were well-aware of the spill and you don't do water testing or vapor extraction tests, you don't have an all-clear," says Brockovich, of Los Angeles.

According to a 1999 report by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, one ton of cyanide crystals spilled to the ground in the derailment, along with 35,000 gallons of trichloroethene. The crystals were removed but the trichloroethene was absorbed into the ground.

Brockovich says she has received about 100 e-mails regarding the girls' symptoms and the diagnosis of stress-related "conversion disorder."
"We don't have all the answers, but we are suspicious," Brockovich says. "They have not ruled everything out yet. The community asked us to help and this is what we do."

[www.usatoday.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login