Forum Index Tips & Rules
SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Join to post comments.

Is your name welcomed below? Then you are invited to post in these forums: Politics Philosophy Diversions Theology
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Why are the GEICO caveman commercials so damned funny?

Posted by Ponderer 
Why are the GEICO caveman commercials so damned funny?
June 27, 2009 11:47PM
We here at Chez P&P think they are pretty hysterical.

We think they are social satire on a deep level. They point out the absurdity and cruelty of discrimination by creating a minority who they then proceed to be cruel and discriminatory against... and it's funny. Brilliantly funny. Every time you see that look of abject humiliation on one of those cavemen's faces as he reads that motto so easy, even a caveman can do it on something.

How did they do that?

I'll bet people either love these commercials or hate them.

Anonymous User
Re: Why are the GEICO caveman commercials so damned funny?
June 28, 2009 02:07AM
I'm not sure they are mocking discrimination against minority groups. I think they are mocking the sensitivity of minority groups who object to being the target of the joke. I can't really say where their hearts are regarding discrimination (the agency is our of South Carolina, Virginia or some place in the Old South). I do know that there intent is to get you to think Geico is easy.
Sam
June 28, 2009 02:11AM
They ruined my appreciation for their schtick when they tried and failed MISERABLY to capitalize on the caveman popularity by turning it into a sit-com...
Anonymous User
June 28, 2009 04:39AM
Sam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They ruined my appreciation for their schtick when
> they tried and failed MISERABLY to capitalize on
> the caveman popularity by turning it into a
> sit-com...

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I also forgot to ever watch it. I guess that show is extinct.
Sam
June 28, 2009 04:53AM
It was so stupid only a caveman would appreciate it...
Anonymous User
June 28, 2009 05:09AM
Sam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was so stupid only a caveman would appreciate
> it...

HAR! the finger smiley
Am I the only one who thinks that the newer commercials lack creativity??? Honestly all it is anymore is these cavemen doing something, then all of a sudden out of nowhere they see a sign with "GEICO: So easy a caveman can do it" then they get offended and storm off or make a mad face or whatever. Where does that have any humor aspect?? They've done that for like the last 10 effing commercials! Doesn't it ever get old? What happened to witty, humorous, creative writing? And the show, okay so the costumes were terrible but it was funny! If you thought that the cavemen commercials were funny and the "failed sitcom" wasn't, then you're CRAZY, because you wanna know why? The sitcom's screenplay was written by the SAME GUY who writes(wrote) the old commercials! Honestly people, open your eyes. Geico lacks creativity in their commercials. I don't understand what happened to the writer, maybe he was fired? I don't know. Don't get me started on the freaking money stack with eyes, those commercials get old too. Bring back the original writing and stop replacing it with gay, techno music.
Sam
July 28, 2009 06:44PM
The caveman commercials were funny because they were short, hit the funny bone and then left you to Ponder. The sitcom was like taking a jokey zinger and explaining it for a 1/2 hour. They will keep using the same commercial characters until their test groups stop rating them highly. The money stack thing is stupid, not funny at all. They should've made it more creepy-looking so we would feel the simultaneous pull of money with revulsion (that's the joke part).
July 29, 2009 09:47PM
I'm just always glad that they don't have that money talking.

I'm okay with the less verbal cavemen commercials. I think the one where they are bowling is hysterical. To me, subtle doesn't mean less funny. The earliest ones were more episodic with a whole plot developing towards a conclusion. These new ones simply feed off that plot in a straightforward, sight gag style. Sometimes subtle can be even funnier than blatant.

I saw about 15-minutes of one of the sitcoms. I didn't expect them to pull it off and they didn't. Twenty four minutes is a hack of a lot harder to write for than thirty seconds.

-----------------------------------------------

A snooty rich lady is about to leave a doctor's office and asks the receptionist...

Lady: Do you validate for the valet parking?

Receptionist: We don't have valet parking.

Lady: What do you mean? The man gave me this ticket (hands it to her).

Receptionist: (examining the ticket) This is a laundry ticket.

Lady: What are you telling me?

Receptionist: I'm telling you you gave somebody your car for a laundry ticket.

Lady: I fail to see the humor in that.

Receptionist: It's very subtle.

(From an old episode of Dr. Katz. I saw that probably 20 years ago and I swear to this day it still cracks me up big time)

Jun
August 02, 2009 09:42AM
I've searched through youtube. Some of them are a little bit amusing.
Sometimes, there are just no good reason as to why one person would find anything funny, you just do...winking smiley
It doesn't even have to make sense, as long as it "tickles your funny-bone".
I guess the commercials are only good to a limited audience, in my eyes, children. Yes, subtle can SOMETIMES be funnier but only in moderation! There is absolutely no creativity in these commercials. Only actions, and no dialogue. I'm sorry but good writing is the foundation for a good commercial! Yes it is more difficult to write screenplay for a sitcom rather than a commercial, but you get more time to write it! The writers have either gone on vacation or have just gotten extremely lazy. Regardless, they need to start fresh and think up some new ideas that will really get everyone's attention! Singing them the 5 dollar foot long song over and over again wont, just make them paranoid. The commercials are simply repetitive and eventually there needs to be actual dialogue besides "15 minutes could save you *blah blah blah*". Also I'm very happy that someone agrees that the money stack commercials are pointless.
Geico needs to find a fresh perspective. They all are overplayed and are now just annoying. STOP THE CAVE MAN.
A marketing company will keep using the same idea until it is dead. There are marketing campaigns that have been going for decades. Remember the Maytag repair man? Good for decades. The Cavemen were funny and some of the other bloggers are right, they did sort of flow together to create a sort of narrative. But at the heart of it was the cavemen.. I loved them and I can't pinpoint why. It might have been that dejected look on their faces I don't know. The bowling one is an absolute classic. The song's great and there's something awesome about finding a place to fit in. Isn't that what we all long for? Don't we all feel a little bit marginalized, lonely, lost? I think the Marketing Company that created the campaign was genius. They tapped into something with it and they used it as long as they could. Unfortunately, it seems anymore that the our mantra is, when the cow stops giving milk, kill it for meat. Saw 6 anyone? Please.
October 08, 2009 06:08AM
"I think the Marketing Company that created the campaign was genius. They tapped into something with it and they used it as long as they could." -Karl

But what is that "something" they tapped into?

What I find truly interesting is that these commercials essentially invented a minority that for some reason it is not only socially okay but absolutely hysterical to make fun of and discriminate against within the universe of these commercials.

Early on in the series of this ad campaign, the cavemen act just like any other minority would who happened across an example of tactless and disparaging images of them. They contact the advertising company and meet with some officer of the company who tries to console them and apologize to them by taking them out to an expensive dinner. The official apologetically pleads ignorance saying, "Frankly, we didn't realize you guys were still around". Then... in later commercials, the campaign steams right ahead to the constant shame and embarrassment of the cavemen as if they had never complained at all, dashing their self image to pieces over and over again. And it's hysterical.

Could you imagine if it was "GEICO... So easy, a BLACK person could do it!" instead? That wouldn't be very funny. So why are these commercials so funny just because the minority involved is imaginary? I feel... kinda guilty for laughing at these commercials but I can't help it.

Is it that they turn the whole notion of discrimination so totally on its ear? Is it that this is simply extremely successful and hard-hitting satire?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum