Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
ST: Discovery
January 31, 2018 04:51PM
Okay, I watched the first six episodes last night. I must admit that I am impressed for the most part. A couple things bugged the hell out of me though.

In the first episode, the Klingons light up their Beacon of Khales or whatever it was and it's bright light spanned the universe calling all the 24 houses of the Klingon Empire to come together. Even the Federation saw it. Everybody saw it.

Instantly.

*blink*

I guess in the future even light isn't restricted to the speed of light.

Another thing that bugged me wasn't mistake-based... but still. That one albino Klingon guy looked so much like the great big humanoids from the movie Prometheus I kept thinking I was watching some sort of cross-over episode. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they were recycling the same facial prosthetics from that movie. Irked the sh*t out of me.

On Sunday I also watched the latest episode that was broadcast and that after-show they do, so that was a bit of a spoiler for me. But I can't wait to keep watching the new episodes. I'll be fully caught up by next Sunday.

My Biggest Joy: Harcourt Fenton Mudd. What a perfect character to bring back from the very first series. And perfectly executed.
Re: ST: Discovery
February 01, 2018 11:01PM
I guess they feel the need to change Klingons every once & a while.

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but someone told me that Worf addresses this
on DS9, saying that some Klingons experiemented with genetic engineering
to make them look fiercer or something.
February 04, 2018 08:09AM
Well, I'm all caught up. Looking forward to tomorrow's episode.

I have to admit... I'm hooked.

February 07, 2018 11:32PM
ST is all over the place with the Klingon explanation. Had something to do with them trying to look more like humans (TOS) and then some flu screwing up their genetics. The story that sounds most convincing to me is Gene Roddenberry wanted them to have the big foreheads of the later series from day 1 - but they couldn't afford to do the make-up in TOS. Later when they rebooted the movies and TNG - there was more cash available and they could make the Klingons look more militaristic as Roddenberry wanted. The only problem was now they had to explain it somehow.
February 07, 2018 11:40PM
Probably would have been 100 bucks in makeup. A lot in those days.

Now, they probably have better technology to make prosthetics.
February 28, 2018 05:06PM
There are a lot of problems with linking up the different variations of Star Trek. I'm getting a little better at not caring about it anymore.

I totally loved this first season of the new Star Trek. Completely satisfied. I can't wait for Season 2. smiling bouncing smiley

March 01, 2018 12:01AM
I thought it was OK. I'm not too bummed it is not on regular TV.
March 01, 2018 11:11PM
I don't worry too much about the continuity between the varying series - the time differences are a good enough explanation to me. A lot of things could have happened to the Klingons in the time between TOS and TNG (for instance). I'll be happy with it as long as they don't turn it into kiddy sci-fi like Star Wars (which almost happened with Beyond).

Have not seen the new series. If it becomes available for free I'll watch it just for Michelle Yeoh if nothing else.
March 02, 2018 08:17PM
Michelle Yeoh!?!

Just watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon!
March 02, 2018 09:03PM
Saw it years ago.
March 02, 2018 09:07PM
I saw it one year ago (or less). I have the DVD.
March 05, 2018 06:59PM
The other woman is the attraction in that one for me - Zhang Ziyi. She is beyond amazing.

[www.pinterest.com]
March 05, 2018 10:39PM
I thought both were attractive, but different.
March 07, 2018 07:16AM
I really gave it a chance for Yeoh myself. I've always loved her ever since Crouching Tiger. I once went to see what turned out to be the worst movie I ever saw just because she was in it. I learned a great lesson that day: Never go see a film at a theater without checking the Tomato Meter score first. It got an "8%". I hate to imagine how she got hooked into being in Babylon A.D. What an appalling bupkie that was. I was actually screaming "That was BULLSHIT!!!" at the screen when the credits came up.

I wasn't going to pay for the new Star Trek program, but it turned out that the cable package I have already included that CBS app thing or whatever it is. I went all marathon on it.

March 09, 2018 04:30AM
She got hooked in with cash. smiling smiley

She was also in Sunshine which looks like it's going to be the greatest sci-fi movie ever until the last 25 minutes or so when they totally ruin it with the lamest ending ever (outside of Babylon A.D., of course).
March 09, 2018 11:31PM
Ponderer
I really gave it a chance for Yeoh myself. I've always loved her ever since Crouching Tiger. I once went to see what turned out to be the worst movie I ever saw just because she was in it. I learned a great lesson that day: Never go see a film at a theater without checking the Tomato Meter score first. It got an "8%".

I never care what actor is on a movie.
I care about what the plot is (sometimes a good director or writter might make a difference).

~Angel

America is plagued with an epidemic
of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.
D-K affects nearly every family.

You have to know, the real Dunning-Kruger
effects fake liberals to make them
think that they know everything.
No matter how many facts you
show them, they don't learn or accept.

Too many people are brainwashed into
believing their political party is benevolent.
While both are deep state knights & pawns.

We need outsiders like Donald Trump.

Do not confuse the Dunning-Kruger Effect
with the Dumb-Krueger Effect, started by
pseudo-psychologist to attack MAGAites.

The cure for Dumb-Krueger is knowlege!
May the facts be with you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!