Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Logan on DVD (& X-Men)

Posted by angel.us 
Logan on DVD (& X-Men)
December 15, 2017 12:23AM
Logan on DVD (some spoliers)

Normally I forgo buying X-Men on DVDs. The special features are between crappy & none.
Rarely will I see a movie in the theater either. I'd rather wait till DVD. (Then if it sucks I could
always sell it & get money back.)

I decided to get this one because the price was good.

If I compare it to early X-Men films on DVD, it only has some special featuress:
commentary &* deleted scene (w/ optional commentary).

To recap the other DVDs, in which I have 1-3 & Origins: Wolverine, all have deleted scenes,
commentary (at least one); 3 has a version that came with a comic book; and all have a vast
array of interviews & featurettes.

But after that they got cheap. The only one I saw on DVD with a single special feature was
The Wolverine. Being that it was the worst movie in the series, I didn't get it.

This all probably has to do with trying to push the failed Blue Ray, by putting better features there.
There was a cheaper Blue Ray & DVD combo available, but I didn't buy it for the principle.

The movie itself is fairly good. But it was directed by James Mangold, who also
directed blundered The Wolverine. (Which is why I was hesitant to get it & waited
till the price dropped.) Mangold likes to protray a more mortal & vulnerable Wolverine.

I didn't have an issue with the Silver Samurai cutting off one set of Logan's claws in
The Wolverine. However, doing it to both hands was ridiculous. Logan is not stupid.
(And Logan leaving a woman he loves to travel around the world, with another woman,
was not believable!)

Thank goodness Bryan Singer decided to give Woverine his (metal) claws back in the next
movie. Even if his explanation was not believable (nor are others). We just like him better
that way!

Logan the movie deals with an older Wolverine taking care of an even older Prof. Xavier.
However, in this film, the producers decided to take one of the things that makes Wolverine
immortal - and make it into something that kills him.

When you think about it (logically & scientifically) a person can't live with a metal skeleton.
Bones are a living/organic thing . . . not just structure & defense for the body. Even Wolverine's
bones would rot & suffer major arthritis without nutrition.

So I don't have a problem with him aging or dying. Other films (such as Gladiator) showed that
a film can still be great when the hero dies.

But Logan is not a great movie. It's somewhere in the middle ground. X-Men 1, Apocalypse, &
The Wolverine were let downs. X-Men 2, 3 & O.W. were indeed great. Others were mediocre.

I do have a slight problem with having both Logan & Professor X ailing in the same movie.

More so, I just don't believe Wolverine as this guy who wants to take care of an old Xavier (&
only him) denying compassion to all others.

I don't want to get into a long debate over how wrong it was to use chemicals to supress
the Professor's powers. But it is a deus ex machina.

The worst though is this adamantium bullet Logan carries around - just in case he decides
to opt for suicide.

I don't know where he would have gotten such a thing. I suppose it's possible (just not plausible).

The big problem here is that in O.W. Major Stryker does hoot Logan (multiple times) with adamantium
bullets. It affects his memory, but it doesn't kill him.

So what we have is 9 X-Men movies, all enjoyable in their own way, nut bad continuity.

Think about this or these:
We have different dog tags by movie.
Claws cut off, then back on.
An evil (all powerful) phoenix that must be contained,
but it's ok to release it when we need it to kill something else.
People's ages & looks vary from film to film.
People are dead - not dead.
I can even live with them getting powers wrong (most notably on Juggernaut).

This movie seemed X-Men meets Mad Max with a splash of western & a hint of horror.
And like X2, the story is more unique, while the others cater to cliches of comics & characters.

So should you see this film? If you're a big fan of the X-Men & Wolverine - yes. (If for no other
reason than it is the last of the X-Men movies.) It's enjoyable . . . even if flawed. Mangold
himself has improved.

Some of the deleted scene are worth anything. The commentary is good though. The film's
lenth (2 hours, 15 minutes) does leave you satisfied. The rating is R, and not just for more
blood & sexual content, but to tell a more muture story line.

I give Hugh Jackman Kudos for his performance and willingness to play this charaxcter
so many times.

While not important to the plot, it was disappointing that no one addressed that Laura, being
implanted with a metal skeleton, will not be able to grow physically. Though the film does
show growth of character for many people.
Re: Logan on DVD (& X-Men)
December 15, 2017 03:54AM
There are like 2 good X-Men movie out of the millions they've made...

The Wolverine (confirmed as one of the best because you don't like it)

and

First Class.

The time travel one with the young X-Men is not terrible either.

The selling point for blue ray is 3D. The picture is also much sharper - especially on a 4K TV, but personally 1080 is fine for me.
December 15, 2017 11:13PM
Indy!
There are like 2 good X-Men movie out of the millions they've made...
The Wolverine (confirmed as one of the best because you don't like it)

Well, since you said that I'm going to have to change my mind, lol
(I've already said why it was a let down & not realistic.)

and
First Class.

A pretty good movie, but anything dealing with the past is predictable

The time travel one with the young X-Men is not terrible either.

Agreed - not terrible. Not great though. Would have been better if there was an
actual time travel device. It was a big stretch of Kitty's powers to be able to send
someone back in time. (Also, Wolverine shouldn't have been a civilian at that time.)

Let's not factor in what I said before about him getting his (metal) claws back.
Singer's explanation & all others were not realistic.

The selling point for blue ray is 3D. The picture is also much sharper - especially on a 4K TV, but personally 1080 is fine for me.

I care not what the selling point is. It is not that much better than DVD, that I am going to start buying
something else (no matter how many more special features they try & bribe us with). I already had to
go & buy everything again on DVD - I am not doing that again.

Besides, with true digital versions, green ray is outdated. It was shot in t he foot right out
of the starting gate, so to speak.

They tried the same crap when DVD came out of how better the picture was.. But by that point
most films were THX certified with a great picture. DVD was better, cause it is no where near
as likely to break as a tape.
December 16, 2017 03:12AM
I watched the Apocalypse one last night. I thought it was pretty good. It was good enough that it was my second time watching it.

December 18, 2017 10:25PM
My only problem with Apocalypse is that he was so dumb & didn't have
a back up plan. Apocalypse is usually 5 or so steps ahead of the X-Men
the game. This time Xavier outsmarted him on the 1st go. eye popping smiley

I can even live with that they used Phoenix to kill him, and that Logan
was kept in a box (just so he could make a cameo). eye rolling smiley
December 20, 2017 05:46AM
He couldn't have had omniscience about what all the mutants allied against him could do. And they wouldn't have gotten a second chance.

Plus, other mutants managed to entomb him in the past...

December 20, 2017 05:07PM
What else do you "have to buy" to watch blu-ray? Every DVD player these days is blu-ray.
December 21, 2017 12:17AM
Indy!
What else do you "have to buy" to watch blu-ray? Every DVD player these days is blu-ray.

I still have my actual & working DVD players, thank you.
December 21, 2017 12:19AM
Ponderer
He couldn't have had omniscience about what all the mutants allied against him could do.

True, he didn't have every power, just a lot.

And they wouldn't have gotten a second chance.

Not necessarily.

Plus, other mutants managed to entomb him in the past...

Better than dying, lol.
December 22, 2017 07:16PM
angel.us
Indy!

I still have my actual & working DVD players, thank you.

So there's no need to buy anything else - thanks for the support on that one.

Your prize is the secret to the X-Men series... if they need a guy who makes fire - they invent a mutant who makes fire. If they need ice, they invent a mutant that can freeze stuff. If they need a mutant that can fart pop tarts - they invent a mutant that farts pop tarts.
December 23, 2017 01:29AM
And if they need a mutant with powers that can save everyone at the very last minute........

December 24, 2017 02:17AM
I saw Apocalypse in 3D on Amazon for $12.99 - should I invest or not?
December 27, 2017 09:26PM
Indy!
If they need a mutant that can fart pop tarts - they invent a mutant that farts pop tarts.

Exactly!

Not every mutant has a cool power. Some just look wierd. Others have powers that suck.
(Maybe the pop tart thing was your power.) the finger smiley
December 27, 2017 09:26PM
Ponderer
And if they need a mutant with powers that can save everyone at the very last minute........

Than a villian of a past movie is called in to save thew day. eye popping smiley
December 27, 2017 09:28PM
Indy!

I'm going to say no (full well knowing you will ignore me & do it any way, but that's OK,
cause I will laugh at you), you should watch it on something like FX & DVR it for free. grinning smiley
December 28, 2017 08:55PM
FX doesn't show 3D movies and I don't have a DVR because there is always something to watch.

And you really need to work on your game - every comeback is exactly the same with you:

I know you are, but what am I.

So you're either a 3rd grader or an idiot. I vote the latter.
December 28, 2017 10:39PM
I never said FX plays 3D movies.

All I said was the movie wasn't worth buying. But please, go waste your money on it . . .
so I can laugh at you. grinning smileythumbs upsmiling bouncing smiley

If the only 2 choices are those, than I am the 3rd grader & you are the idiot.
The fact that you are even contemplating buy such a lame movie proves it. the finger smiley

As for the game, your is the one who always uses the same immature tacticz (that never
work BTW). All you ever do is try to make $#!t up. Has it worked? smoking smiley
December 29, 2017 01:38AM
Learn how to read...

Indy!

Obviously that was important or I would not have put it in the sentence... IDIOT.
December 29, 2017 11:20PM
angel.us
I never said FX plays 3D movies.

All I said was the movie wasn't worth buying. But please, go waste your money on it . . .
so I can laugh at you. grinning smileythumbs upsmiling bouncing smiley

Trying to save you (yes, even you the fool) some money was what I was talking about
December 29, 2017 11:20PM
With that now being said (3 times), go waste your money on the dumbish movie,
so I can laugh at you already.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!