Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
How come no football talk?
November 25, 2017 12:23AM
Oh okay, I see now.

Raiders: 4 and 6

49ers: 1 and 9
Re: How come no football talk?
November 25, 2017 04:14AM
Forgot one...

Ravens 5-5

I bet those two new LA teams are looking mighty attractive right about now. smoking smiley
November 25, 2017 06:35AM
The dismal record of the 49ers hasn't helped, but I honestly haven't watched any NFL mainly because of the CTE injuries. It's just not any fun watching players probably suffering systematic traumatic brain injuries.

The professional sport that gets my attention and interest is the NBA. Among other things, I like that the NBA is the most international of all sports leagues. at least among the US leagues. Also I like that NBA players and coaches are not shy about criticizing and insulting Trump.

Trump is unintentionally sabotaging his own and Republican candidates' campaigns.

November 25, 2017 07:38AM
Yep - I'm already on to the NBA too. The Heat just knocked off the Eastern Conference's #1 team - the Celtics - ending their 16 game winning streak the other night. Today I watched them hammer the T-wolves - #3 team in the West. We are going to be a very dangerous team this year.
November 25, 2017 10:35AM
I didn't forget about the Ravens. I have many friends in Baltimore who are Ravens fans, and I talk to them regularly on Facebook, not about football, though. But I read their comments about the Ravens. I haven't followed football for several years. I can only name one player on the Chargers, Philip Rivers, and I can't name a single player on the Rams.

But I remember you two discussing football constantly during football season as recently as last season.

The Raiders only have 4-6 record, but they're only 2 games out of first place. So it strikes me odd that you, Indy!, would suddenly be dropping the NFL and moving onto the NBA.

I think that part of the reason I lost interest in football has to do with what you said, Curt. The other part is that I've always been primarily a baseball fan.
November 26, 2017 08:04AM
I was psyched for football until the Raiders started under performing - but I'm still watching games. I treated my two brothers to the Raiders / Fins game here in Miami a couple weeks back - we had a great time. And yeah - the team can still win the division, but given the way we're playing? Wouldn't make any difference imho - we'd get knocked out in round 1 anyway. When you're losing there's not much to talk about that's all... still more exciting than baseball though. smoking smiley

My college team was doing great until Friday - #2 in the nation. They still have a chance at the title but now they're going to need some help. Good year - could have been great. Oh - and my fantasy team is in first place. There's all the news.

smiling smiley
November 26, 2017 08:46PM
I followed football real closely when I played fantasy football which I played from 1986 to 1999.
November 26, 2017 09:08PM
I was undefeated until the Raiders started to disappoint. That's the way it is every year - I do well until the Raiders disappear and then I start forgetting to set my line-up every week because I'm not paying close attention to the league. It's all in fun though - if money were involved? I'd pay attention.
November 26, 2017 11:26PM
The league I was in was at my workplace. Before the season started, we'd meet at someone's house and each draft 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 6 receivers, 2 kickers, and 2 defensive teams. Then during the regular season each of us would play against one other co-worker's team and play 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 receivers, 1 kicker, and 1 defensive team from our roster. Scoring was 5 pts for a QB throwing a TD, 5 pts for a receiver catching a TD pass, 10 pts for any offensive player who scored a running TD, 5 pts for a FG, 2 pts for an extra point, and 20 pts for a defensive TD or punt/kick return. We paid $2 to the kitty for any player transaction, including trades. No team could share players. I ended up in the money most years and won the championship once. It was a lot of fun.

Funny story: In the late 90s, we got busted for using Orange County, CA's computers to store league stats, standings, etc. At that time I was working for Lockheed Martin which ran OC, CA's computer systems. I'll never forget the morning I found out we were busted. I was sitting in my office, and two of my co-workers who also owned fantasy teams walked into my office and showed me an article in the Orange County Register -- very prestigious; OC's biggest newspaper -- exposing the "scandal". I have no idea how the reporter found out. Anyhow, my co-workers told me that "Sherman" (name changed), our manager at Lockheed Martin, was livid and wanted to see us immediately in his office.

So we all stroll into his office and Sherman's standing behind his desk with a scowl on his face holding up his copy of the article and proceeds to read us the riot act. He was livid. I remember him saying "Do you guys realize this could cost us our contract?" I couldn't hide my smirk, which made him all the more livid. "I don't appreciate your cavalier attitude about this!" he yelled at me. I calmly explained to him that we'd openly kept league-related information on OC's computers for years, that it only took up a minuscule amount of storage, that some league members were employees of Orange County, and that I was sure that this would all blow over. But he was having none of it. I thought he was going to have a stroke. "Funny" thing is a few years after he left in 1999, he did suffer a stroke. Last I heard, he suffered some damage, but was doing okay considering. But that was years ago. I have no idea if he's still alive.

Anyhow, Lockheed Martin's corporate office quickly found out about the exposé and the company president issued a statement to "Sherman" stating that he himself played fantasy football, and that he didn't consider any of this a big deal. No one was reprimanded by Orange County management, and as I predicted, it turned out to be a nothingburger.

So my cavalierness was vindicated.

After that meeting with "Sherman" the morning the article was published , my "cavalier attitude" became a running joke among my co-workers. Even "Sherman" himself lightened up and joked about it.
November 30, 2017 04:24AM
Funny story. grinning smiley

Also funny - thought I posted here already. Oh well, the post said I won the first time I played FF - $592.50. The team cost $105. total - for the draft, a couple trades and about 6 or 7 FA picks. That was 1990 - I still have the trophy. I used that money to move out of Jacksonville back to Miami - arrived here dead broke.
November 30, 2017 11:05PM
I was going to answer this "cause football sucks,"
but I saw several replies. So I won't.

Wait, you say it's too late? That this still counts as me saying football sucks?

Well good, cause it's true! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
December 01, 2017 06:57AM
I have no idea how much I made in the 14 or so years I played fantasy football. I'm sure it was a net positive. But if I hadn't made a dime or even lost some money, it would have been worth it because it was a lot of fun.

Our league didn't award winners with trophies, which was fine by me. I grew up in a family of duckpin bowlers, which used to be huge in the MD-DC area, and over the years we amassed so many bowling trophies we didn't know where to put them. I have no idea where they are now. I have a vague recollection that when my younger brother bought that house, he gave them to A&A Trophy House where both of us worked during college.
December 05, 2017 10:34PM
I didn't know we had trophies until they pulled it out and gave it to me. The trophy is in my closet somewhere - not sure where - but I'm never tossing it out. I was 1-3 and not really taking the game seriously until one of the other guys said he had a "gimme" the next weekend because he was playing me. They thought I didn't know anything about sports because I had never played FF and I was an artist. They laughed at my first draft pick because I chose a QB (Jim Everett - Rams) - hey, what did I know? But that was all it took - someone being a dick about it - then I got interested... Went on a 10 game win streak - beat everybody in the league from top to bottom. Lost the last game of the season for a 10-4 record, then killed it in the playoffs - knocking off the same guy with the big mouth in the title game 52-10 (he still won around $250. though - so he wasn't all that upset about losing). Yeah... I'm holding onto that trophy. thumbs up
December 07, 2017 11:35PM
Trophy in the closet, lol. eye popping smiley I could make a bunch of joke, but I'll refrain.
December 15, 2017 03:47AM
No, please... go right ahead. I'm interested in what you would think constitutes a joke.
December 15, 2017 11:20PM
Well then, it means you have to go back in the closet.
December 20, 2017 05:10PM
Okay - thank you, angled for confirming my suspicions.

===========================================

FF update...

Went 7-0, 1-1, then 0-5 to wrap up the season at 8-6 and 3rd spot in the 4 team playoff.

Won round 1 - now in the championship game this weekend against the #1 team even after a horrific end to the season. smiling smiley
December 21, 2017 12:20AM
Indy!
Okay - thank you, angled for confirming my suspicions.

Oh, you're very welcome. In fact, I am very thankful that you went back in the closet. the finger smiley
December 21, 2017 01:20AM
Question, angled - can you identify this sound...?

doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooouche....
December 21, 2017 10:44PM
Yes, that's the sound of your coworkers as you walk away from them. the finger smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!