Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The Orville

Posted by Ponderer 
The Orville
October 28, 2017 04:38PM
We're loving it. I recently saw it put on a list of the 7 worst shows on TV right now and whoever put this show on the list is a moron. Their whole critique couldn't have been more wrong. I suspect that it was someone connected to CBS who doesn't like how this show is more like Star Trek than the current Star Trek CBS is running. If you pay the extra money to watch it.

My only criticism is that it's a tad too heavy on 20th century cultural references. But even so, it still works.

Re: The Orville
October 28, 2017 11:20PM
The premise turned my off, I am not a fan of Seth McFarland so I maybe prematurely and unfairly wrote it off without even watching it.

Trump is unintentionally sabotaging his own and Republican candidates' campaigns.

November 04, 2017 06:19PM
Went looking for the new Star Trek in the On Demand section and it wasn't available because it's a pay show - but ran across Orville so I watched episode one of that instead. Sorry - wasn't impressed. Seemed very cliched and expected (I'm on the fence with McFarland - I like some of his stuff but not all of it). I could have predicted all those characters beforehand they were so obvious - right down to the ex-girlfriend/wife/whatever who (of course) magically (and secretly) ends up assigned to his ship. It wasn't good enough to make me want to watch more iow.

Is the first episode a dog and the rest are good or something?
November 06, 2017 09:49PM
The 1st episode was wierd, but I wouldn't call it a dog.
I mean a dog is a little better. grinning smiley

~Angel

America is plagued with an epidemic
of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.
D-K affects nearly every family.

You have to know, the real Dunning-Kruger
effects fake liberals to make them
think that they know everything.
No matter how many facts you
show them, they don't learn or accept.

Too many people are brainwashed into
believing their political party is benevolent.
While both are deep state knights & pawns.

We need outsiders like Donald Trump.

Do not confuse the Dunning-Kruger Effect
with the Dumb-Krueger Effect, started by
pseudo-psychologist to attack MAGAites.

The cure for Dumb-Krueger is knowlege!
May the facts be with you.
November 07, 2017 03:08AM
I just saw an article about new shows this season that are hated by the critics but loved by audiences.

The Orville made #1 on the list with the largest discrepancy: Liked by 18% of critics but by 93% of audiences.

Indy!, I didn't actually expect you to like it so no harm, no foul. I've gotten to kind of know your taste after all these years. That said, I know what you mean about McFarland. I'm usually fine with him until he starts singing. For some reason his singing voice grates on me. So far... no singing in The Orville. We really like the show. It's the best show in the world, but we find it quite entertaining and have never regretted watching a single episode.

We only ever saw the first episode of the new Star Trek. We won't be paying to see anymore of them. Oh it was flashy... lots of explosions and huge special effects and technical wizardry, but I got to the end and couldn't for the life of me figure out which characters I am supposed to give a flying rat's ass about. For me it was none of them. Plus it looked like it was just going to be another space war show. That's what killed Babylon 5 and Deep Space 9 for me was when they started being full-time space war stories. Basically, this new show was just like so many big budget block buster Sci-Fi movies and they didn't try to hide their intention to be. Not much in the story/plot department but special effects spurting out its ears.

November 08, 2017 11:28PM
I was disappoint with a few things too.

1-I would rather see a show that takes place later in the timeline.

This means we don't know every thing is going to workout for the best.
(This is why TNG, DS9, & Voyager were so exciting.)

We also had one show that happened before Kirk's time (the original series).
It was Enterprise!

2-If we are going to do a prequel series. I would have preferred it to happen way
at the beginning. Right after the events of Star Trek 1st Contact.

This way we could see things that happened that are not so commonly spoke about
in the Star Fleet history

3-Why do we love the movies . . . even the ones that are going back to events of
Kirk & Spock with new actors? Because they made a new timeline!

If you're gonna do something - make it exciting & werthwhile.
(Yes, I will settle for even werthwhile if I can't get worthwhile - lol.)

~Angel

America is plagued with an epidemic
of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.
D-K affects nearly every family.

You have to know, the real Dunning-Kruger
effects fake liberals to make them
think that they know everything.
No matter how many facts you
show them, they don't learn or accept.

Too many people are brainwashed into
believing their political party is benevolent.
While both are deep state knights & pawns.

We need outsiders like Donald Trump.

Do not confuse the Dunning-Kruger Effect
with the Dumb-Krueger Effect, started by
pseudo-psychologist to attack MAGAites.

The cure for Dumb-Krueger is knowlege!
May the facts be with you.
November 09, 2017 03:16AM
I saw a "Best Star Trek" list on the internet that incomprehensibly picked Deep Sleep 9 as the "best" of the Star Trek series. Seriously - #1... better than the original, better than STNG, better than all of them. confused smiley
November 09, 2017 06:24AM
I thought The Next Generation was the best of the bunch, although I still love the original series.
November 09, 2017 04:32PM
Probably my biggest criticism of The Orville is all the references to the late 20th century and early 21st in the writing. You would think that hundreds of years from now it was the most popular time in all of human history. Could you imagine a program taking place in the present where some characters were constantly making references to Elizabethan England and Shakespeare as if nothing entertaining has happened since then?

November 10, 2017 12:47AM
I honestly think TNG was the best. Though I love the plot of DS9,
& I wish it was aired.

(I was soooo pissed several years ago. I was watching on Spike, & before they even
finish the season they were on, they stopped airing it. (Ohhh, at least finish that season.)

I never watched Voyager cause it was on a different network, till recently & liked it to.
November 10, 2017 07:15AM
Well tonight's episode begins with one of the main characters singing karaoke to Journey's Any Way You Want It...

November 11, 2017 07:10AM
You'd think they could at least pick good songs from the 20th century. smiling smiley
Anonymous User
November 13, 2017 11:55AM
Honestly, I like that find phenq here doing stuff like this. If only it was a bit more funny though. I liked it when the episode opened with the crew watching Seinfeld on the bridge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2019 10:27AM by Tauber.
November 13, 2017 10:04PM
I think they'll find the right balance before too long, Tauber.

November 15, 2017 09:46PM
Journey, lol.
November 15, 2017 09:46PM
Not saying I don't like journey, but there's just so much better.
Like say Led Zep or Ozzy.
November 17, 2017 09:40PM
My first sighting of a former Star Trek actor appearing on The Orville last night. The guy who played the holographic doctor on Voyager appeared playing the father of one of the crew members.

November 20, 2017 11:38PM
Robert Picardo (LOL, almost Picard).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!