Forum Index Tips & Rules
SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Join to post comments.

Is your name welcomed below? Then you are invited to post in these forums: Politics Philosophy Diversions Theology
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Exploding Kenmore Oven Door

Posted by RI Mom 
Exploding Kenmore Oven Door
July 26, 2011 03:33AM
Okay, well this happened to me too.... I spent 2 hours on the phone with Sears today... I bought my electric, smooth top, convection range 1 yr and 1 month ago - so figures the door explodes last night! Luckily my 2 and 4 year old were outside. My dog and myself did get get pelted with glass shards though...

Sears said that unfortunately since "this is the real world and my warrantee expired 3 weeks ago there is nothing they can do with the exception of sending out a tech to check it out for $129"... who knows how much they will quote to actually fix the issue. Not to mention, I am afraid to use my oven without the extra layer of protection...

My model # is 79097453804, or on the Sears website it is the Freestanding Electric Range 9745. I am beyond frustrating... I think you are all right, it will probably take many injuries and many reports of issues before Sears takes responsibility for their product... I will report this to consumer reports as well as my local tv station!!!!!!!!

Please be careful. As everyone has said, it exploded for no reason, and shot shards of glass at least 4 feet in most directions... not to mention all the glass that is now jammed in the door and drawer...
Anonymous User
Re: Exploding Kenmore Oven Door
December 29, 2011 06:30AM
Tonight , 12/28,2011, my outer oven glass exploded from my 2 year old Kenmore oven! The glass flew at least 6 to 7 feet. If anyone had been standing close to this oven, there would have been a 911 call. Unbelieveable that this seems to happen and yet Sears has not addressed this.The Sears agent I spoke to in the Tucson call center asked me what I did! I am reporting this to the Consumer Product Safety Comission, as should everyone this has happened to!
Anonymous User
January 23, 2012 04:52PM
I woke up this morning to see the glass on my Kenmore 790 also has shattered. It was still mostly intact showing no impact so there must be some frame flexing or pressure differential that's creating stress on the glass to the point it lets go. Thankfully we caught it before our dogs did or we'd likely be taking them to the vet for glass ingestion.

Called Sears and they directed me to the recall department which told me no such recall existed and that I should report it to the Consumer Product Safety Comission (saferproducts.gov), which I have done. Was disappointed that there were no other alternatives provided. I do not wish to replace the door after hearing everyone else's story. I'm going to have to start looking into a new brand oven now.
Anonymous User
March 09, 2012 08:31PM
PLEASE TELL ME YOUR COMPLAINT NUMBER WITH THE CONSUMER PRODUCTS SAFETY COMMISSION SO WE CAN START A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT..........THEY TOLD ME THEY HAVE NO COMPLAINTS......IF WE ALL POST OUR COMPLAINT NUMBERS. WE CAN GET KENMORE TO TAKE ACTION
Anonymous User
March 20, 2012 06:00PM
Well, I am real glad that I read all of these comments. I was just about to take my oven door apart to clean it. It has a glass front and grease from the self-cleaning is behind the glass and it looks nasty. I keep it covered with a tea towel most of the time, but thought it was time that I cleaned it. After reading all of these comments, I think that I will just take it to the dump and buy a new stove/oven that does not have a glass door. Better to be safe than sorry. I also have a grandchild that visits me often.
Anonymous User
September 22, 2012 06:13PM
Please post the website/phone # you used to contact the Consumer Products Safety Commission to save folks the trouble of looking it up and calling a different number. Also, there is another thread on Kenmore Exploding doors at [www.selectsmart.com]
Anonymous User
September 22, 2012 06:41PM
A very interesting news story on the exploding dor at [www.kmov.com] and how Kenmore is not responding.

HERE IS WHERE TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE Comsumer Product Safety Commission: [www.saferproducts.gov] This is the thread on the exploding Kenmor glass door.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum