Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Exploding Kenmore glass oven door

Posted by Stacey K 
Anonymous User
Re: Exploding Kenmore glass oven door
December 11, 2011 06:17PM
My Kenmore 3690 Range Door Shattered leaving glass all over my kitchen floor last night. Model # 79036909900 As far as I can tell the part that shattered is part number 318304124. I have spoken with several people at Sears none of whom naturally have anything to offer except to send a repair person or to sell an extended warrenty. I paid over $1300 for this range (on sale!) in April of 2010. I also several months ago a prong on one of the range top grates broke off for no reason (which was going to cost several hundred dollars to repair) so now I just avoid using that burner.

Both of these issues are serious safety risks. I am going to call the recall department on Monday (800-659-7026) but I suspect based on other reviews there is no recall. This should be reported until it is addresses. Imagine if a small child had been standing in front of the oven door when this occured!!!

I was told that most Govenors offices have a Consumer Hotline that may also be a good place to start to raisemore awareness if everyone who has had this issue reports it accordingly.
Anonymous User
February 14, 2012 05:03AM
Ok, it happen to me today, just took the food out the oven and BOOM glass all over the floor. We were about to sit down to dinner and now I am cleanning up glass. I called Sears and spoke to Daniel, he gave me his ID code, i think he made it up. All he wanted to do was sell me an extended warrenty. I am complaining about my oven, that I can't cook in and he's trying to sell me this warrenty. $251.00 ok it covers
techican to walk in the door, tell me the glass is broken (duh), Labor/ and parts up to $500.00.. ok
Then they give you some window the techican will be by ( you wait around for 4 hrs window).
NEVER BUY FROM SEARS.. NEVER BUY ANYTHING FORM SEARS THEY ARE THE WORST COMPANY...I don't want people to be out of work but i hope they close doors FOREVER. I WILL NEVER SHOP THERE AGAIN..

I WILL TELL EVERYONE HOW BAD SEARS IS...
Anonymous User
March 09, 2012 08:30PM
ANYONE WHO HAS FILED A COMPLAINT IN THE ONLY APPROPRIATE PLACE, THE CONSUMER PRODUCTS SAFETY COMMISSION, CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME YOUR FILE NUMBER? I CALLED AND MADE A REPORT TO THE CPSC AND THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY HAVE NO REPORTS! THIS MAY BE THE SAME AS THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU.....PROTECTS THE COMPANIES MORE THAN THE LITTLE GUY.....CAN SOMEONE HELP. I WILL PUBLISH MY COMPLAINT NUMBER AS SOON AS I GET IT IN THE MAIL SO THAT YOU CAN TELL THEM MY NUMBER WHEN THEY TOLD YOU THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE.
Anonymous User
March 29, 2012 09:45AM
My Kenmore inner window exploded today. I called their 888 number and they had never heard of such a thing. They did want to sell me a $250 service though. Im done with Kenmore and Im done with Sears.
Anonymous User
April 04, 2012 12:34AM
I sent a report to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Report #: 20120307-47A12-1236038 : Kenmore Gas Range
STOVE, Kenmore Gas Range, Model 790.71.323704, Serial # = VF83467311, Pics Attached
2012-03-05 at approximately 7PM glass on the outside of stove explodes and shatters into pieces.
Date Purchased = 2008-09-14

Everyone, from Sears to the CPSC appears to not care. We will probably sue and looking to start a class action law suit to get them
to admit that some of these ovens have are defective. A child can be crawling on the floor next to these units and get hurt.

PLEASE REPORT EVERY INCIDENT TO THE CPSC:
Consumer Product Safety Commission to file a report on what happened. 800-638-2772

MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT TELL YOU THEY HAVE NOTHING ON RECORD! THIS IS A RECORD! SEE THE NUMBER ABOVE.

WE SHOULD CONTINUE TO POST UNTIL THE APPROPRIATE OFFICER TAKES RESPONSIBLITY FOR THIS
Anonymous User
April 11, 2012 08:13AM
My four year old Kenmore oven glass door exploded the day before my husband's 73rd Birthday party. Needless to say we hadn't used the oven all day but were planning to that night to prepare for his big celebration. I had to rent another oven quickly. We had a huge mess to clean up with glass all over the place. My young grandchildren were not far from where it exploded.
I am very upset with Sears and Kenmore! Why be passive about this? This has happened to numerous people scaring them and causing them a lot of grief and expense. Why don't we all get together and sue them? A company has no right to infringe on innocent people's safety. When a product is made it should not explode, that is very dangerous and is not good business on their part. They are in the wrong, let's get together and do something. Is there an attorney out there who can offer us all some sound advice? We are waiting to hear from you.......................
Anonymous User
April 30, 2012 05:38AM
This just happened to us also. Outside oven door glass just exploded all over kitchen. Took over 3 hours to cleans up. My son was in the shower and thought someone shot a gun. Oven was off and glass just exploded. The oven was about a year old.
Anonymous User
April 30, 2012 05:57PM
On 04/26/2012 the outside glass on my Kenmore Range Oven door just exploded. Tiny pieces of glass were shot everywhere. Thankfully no one was near the oven and it had NOT been used that day. First, I spoke with Kevin from the Repairs Dept. who told me this can happen but "unfortunately there is no recall" because "some people" didn't have the problem. He said because the oven is a few months over warranty the only thing I can do is buy another warranty agreement for $240 to get it fixed. I then googled "Kenmore oven door shattered" and was shocked at the pages of posts that come up with complaints of people who had the same problem Some had pictures of the damage which looked exactly like ours . There was even a news station in Rhode Island that broadcasted a story titled "Kenmore keeps News 4 viewers in the dark on exploding oven doors". I printed out these articles and brought the stack into my local Sears, where I purchased the oven, to show the manager. I tried to explain to him this needs to be replaced and fixed because I can't take the chance of this happening again, this time injuring my three year old daughter who likes watching her cookies bake. The manager, Asad, told me he had no power to do anything and just put me on the phone with Tiffany, an employee with the National Customer Relations Dept. She listened to my concerns then just kept reading the warranty agreement over and over. Tiffany said she would fill out a product safety form and told me there is no one else I can call. This is a serious defect that can disfigure or seriously injure someone if not fixed and Sears just won't address it.
Anonymous User
May 30, 2012 01:49AM
I just had my legs and feet sprayed with exploding glass from my Kenmore elite electric range. I was opening the oven door while baking and when it was only opened about an inch or two BOOM! The whole glass panel shot outward hitting my legs and feet. Very surprisingly I wasn't cut because it came out with some force and hurt. Kenmore and Sears will be receiving a nasty phone call tomorrow morning.

Update: I called Sears and got connected to someone in India who was clearly just reading from a a que card. They offered to send a technician out for $75 (not including parts) which I refused. They then offered me a $275 extended protection plan which i also refused. I told them I would not pay for an apparent product defect. They just kept transferring me from department to department and I got nowhere. This oven is going to the scrapyard and I will never buy another Kenmore product again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 04:11PM by DMonaco.
Anonymous User
June 01, 2012 01:46PM
In reply to D Monaco - the reason why you did not receive injuries is because the glass used on oven doors is "tempered". This means that it has undergone a treatment which results in it crumbling into reletively smooth edged pebbles rather than shattering into shards. Obviously this doesnt mean that no-one will ever get hurt, but since this blog started I have been keeping an eye on it (it appears to be gathering a life of its own!) and I am yet to hear of an injury that is anything more than minor....
Ultimately it is unfair that you should have to pay for a new door when it is potentially a defect in the glass that caused it to blow out in the first place. It is also accepted that the cost of making perfectly pure tempered glass would result in a prohibitively expensive oven.
So of course that leaves the consumer with the option of buying an oven that does not have a glass door.

I do think that manufacturers and retailers should be publicising this more vigorously though..... No-one seems to know that there is a reasonable possibility of the oven glass exploding until it happens to them (or someone they know).
Actually if you think about it, the glass is exposed to 200 C, for about an hour or two, at least once a week, plus undergoing all sorts of chemical cleaning, knocks and scrapes with different implements - really it's a wonder it doesn't happen more often!

As always, do keep up the posts, but it would be SO good if people updated with what happened AFTER they complained - it's no good just moaning with no follow up!
Anonymous User
June 02, 2012 05:21AM
I am on a rescue squad and have window punched much tempered glass and it never explodes like this even after car crash, rollovers and burning,
Hard to believe that cleaning and bumps would eventually cause outside glass to explode when not even near it. I would like to know if anyone can even get replacement glass. My next step is attorney generals office. This is rediculous
June 29, 2012 12:20AM
@June 1 Anonymous User, I have a feeling most people run out of steam and move on, especially after hitting road blocks. I started this discussion after my Salton/Toast Master toasteroven door glass exploded, and I published a webpage about my whole encounter with Salton as well as with the CPSC. I received copies of all their similar complaints up to that time (I assume they sent all). They only closely investigated one or two, if i remember right. I kept my oven for years and never got a call from the CPSC. I was told they were overworked and underfunded. I have a feeling that they will wait until someone gets hurt before doing anything. These companies should at least provide a warning. My son was heading for the oven to check his toast and could have easily been very close to it when it happened. Children should never stand close to a glass oven door. Even if not sharp, any exploding projectiles aren't safe for anyone, especially for children. I was hoping that "the squeaky wheel would get the grease" as more and more people file official complaints with the CPSC but i don't see that happening. It will probably take a class action suit. Some people here on this forum have said they'd initiiate one but I don't think anyone has. I think the industry and the CPSC might regard these exploding glass episodes as acceptable risk, as no one has gotten hurt badly, like you said, as far as we know. Anyway, thanks for writing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 12:22AM by Lorie Anderson.
Anonymous User
July 26, 2012 05:55AM
Just happened to us, on a 1.5 year old stove, was baking, opened door to get pie & boom!! glass all over the floor. I will call Consumer Product Safety Comission first thing tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2012 05:57AM by DouglasArizona.
Anonymous User
August 22, 2012 06:55PM
Happened to me a week ago Friday. The outside oven glass door exploded while we were broiling something. This Kenmore Elite oven is only three years old! Glass everywhere! I called Sears and they also said they've heard of no recalls on this product. We had Sears come out -- $80 service call and they want $400 to replace the glass! We did not order the glass. I posted my complaint on their Facebook page and sent the representative who called me a link to the hundreds of complaints on the product. They are supposed to have a product review meeting today -- I hope she's not just feeing me a line.
Anonymous User
August 22, 2012 09:50PM
Hi all,
I have had the same experience as everyone else except my range is a Frigidaire. Model #PLES389ECG. It is 4 years old, the appliance hadn't been used in at least 2 days. My husband and I came home from work and found glass all over our kitchen. It was the outer glass on our oven door.
I called Frigidaire/Electrolux and guess what! Because it wasn't under warranty they are not going to fix it. Let's not stand behind our product.
I did some research based mostly on this thread and found something very interesting. The first three numbers of a model number identifies the manufacture of Kenmore appliances I found several models that are manufactured by Frigidaire. Most of the model numbers listed for you exploding Kenmore's are in fact actually manufactured by Frigidaire!
An interesting side note about Frigidaire not standing by their product, when I researched my problem to see if maybe it was a recall, (it wasn't) I did find a recall on my oven. The burners can turn on buy themselves or not turn off and cause a fire. When I pointed that out to the Frigidaire rep. she said she didn't see my model number listed on recalls on their website, therefor it hasn't been recalled. When I went to the Consumer Product Safety Commission website, (a gov. office) there in print is my ranges model number.

I have filed a complaint with the commission as anyone who has had this occur should do. Go to www.cpsc.gov to do so. I am also contacting my local news station. Frigidaire is going to take responsibility for a defective product and they will repair the recall that is currently on my range.
Also a request, if you post to this thread about your oven glass exploding, please include the model number of your oven. Let's see if we can get this dangerous oven recalled!
Anonymous User
August 22, 2012 10:18PM
I previously posted about my Frigidaire range glass exploding. I mentioned that Kenmore is manufactured by several other companies. You can tell which company by the first three numbers of the model number. Several are manufactured by Frigidaire. I find it interesting that most of the model numbers listed on this thread start with 790, which is a product of Frigidaire.
Anonymous User
September 05, 2012 08:01PM
I just thought I would add my info to the list of growing exploding glass doors. Model #79092803011. Of course exact same scenarios, all I did was open the oven door and glass exploded all over my legs (Oven hadn't been used in days!). Luckily I only received two small cuts on my leg. Although my brand new wood floor did receive hundreds of tiny nicks from the glass......this really ticks me off! Of course after all these complaints Kenmore and Sears answers were the same, "Oh my, we have never heard of this." I also received the run around same as everyone else! My guess is they will never recall because they know the glass is tempered and will shatter and most likely not hurt anyone. Plus they are making money off of it .......when people pay to replace the glass! From my understanding they aren't losing any money on it in lawsuits, so why would they pay for a recall! I would love to see a class action lawsuit against them!
Anonymous User
September 22, 2012 06:23PM
My oven door exploded too. From looking at the oven door it appears there was a good deal of preasure in the lower right corner of the door since fragments were stuck in the metal. We too will never by another Kenmore product. It says a lot about a company and the people running the company that don't fix defects in their products. It is clear to me there is no more pride in producing quality products at Kenmore.
Anonymous User
September 22, 2012 06:41PM
A very interesting news story on the exploding dor at [www.kmov.com] and how Kenmore is not responding.

HERE IS WHERE TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE Comsumer Product Safety Commission: [www.saferproducts.gov] This is the thread on the exploding Kenmor glass door.
Anonymous User
October 10, 2012 08:24PM
I just had this same thing happen to me! I've been on the phone with Sears, Hung up on and am just furious!! Waiting for the Supervisor to call me back. I have a Kenmore Elite 790 that is 4 years old. Paid $1700! I shouldn't have to pay for a service tech to come out. At the price I paid for this oven, I shouldn't have to pay anything!! Whatever happened to companies standing behind their product? Before this stove, I bought a Kenmore and the control panel when out just over the 1 year mark. After much rangling, they let me return it and which time I upgraded to the Kenmore Elite 790 to avoid issues! Mistake. Never never again will I buy another Kenmore or anything from Sears. I have bought several appliances from them for rental properties over the years but they lost me today. Filing a complaint right now!
Anonymous User
December 15, 2012 03:00AM
My oven door exploded today as my daughter was baking Christmas cookies.There was even glass up on the other counter and in the sink (and on cookies we had to throw away!).

Model #790.46789 900 Kenmore slide-in electric range.

Out of warranty - 2 yrs old - spent 2 hrs on the phone being transferred around, all for naught. Sears won't do anything.They offered to send a repairman out for $75 to give me an estimate on what it will cost to fix it.

Reported it to the CPSC. I'm not going to give up on fighting with Sears to pay for it - I see some people were successful with that.

In the meantime, it's 11 days till Christmas and I need Cookies!!! We can still use the oven, but it's much hotter with the inner two glass layers.

$132.14 for the door glass shipping included. Will be here by Dec 20
Anonymous User
January 07, 2013 07:56AM
I have a 1999-2000 electic range with the house I bought. I never had a stove's glass blow up the way this one did. What if my daughter was there?? If I didn't stand up? What would have happen to my eye's and face?? I called Kenmore and everyone else. You get the run around!! One number is 6 different numbers. CPSC for what I read does not do much! It goes back to 2007.They just sent me my report!! Then what??
Well if the" Eye Witness News" don't work......... what will?? Youtube it!!

- Such is life!
-Carma is 2
Anonymous User
January 23, 2013 03:42AM
1/22/2013 My wife was cleaning the kenmore elite slide in electric oven in self clean mode and the inside glass pane popped and it was cracked all the way across. It could have been a bad seen because the grand kids just left the kitchen area. Sears should replace the glass. I will make calls to them in the morning.
Anonymous User
February 01, 2013 01:36AM
We bought our Kenmore Elite gas range in April 2010. 2 weeks ago we had the same thing happen.....outer glass of the oven exploded and shattered for no reason. It went everywhere including on top of the counter into the food that was prepared on the counter. it flew about 4-5 feet across the room landing glass in my dog's bowls. Luckily, nobody was hurt.Sears customer service has been awful...gave us the run around the same as everybody else who posted here, trying to charge us for a visit and then a warranty. At one point he was on hold for 54 minutes. Last night my husband finally got somebody in their "escalation department" who finally agreed to send a technician out for a $10 service call. When the technician called prior to coming to our house he said he never received that message, called Sears, and they had no record of it, so we told him not to bother to come out. We bought our own replacement glass online and we are having an appliance guy install it, but we will be getting rid of this oven sooner than later and WE WILL NEVER, EVER BUY ANOTHER THING FROM SEARS!!! I will be taking this to our local news station and hopefully expose this problem.
Anonymous User
February 05, 2013 02:51AM
Kenmore Elite 790 gas range. Inner glass (fortunately) shattered while cooking. Less than a year old. Would never have purchased had I been aware of this problem. Sudbury ON Canada.
Anonymous User
February 08, 2013 11:36PM
I own a Samsung $1,599 unit and the SAME thing has happened. Nobody home, so no contact with door.
Oven had not been used in WEEKS! Came home to kitchen full of broken glass. Yes, it did explode off
the door as I found glass up higher than the floor! Very dangerous. Good thing the glass was tempered.

This happened nearly a year ago...bought it from Conn's Appliances...they wanted $75 to send someone
out to look at it! I told them I could send them the photos of the door and broken glass. No way, they said
plus yes, there is no guarantee. The oven works fine, the light in the oven still comes on. No problem except
for the nasty raggedy edges on the face of the oven door where black glass used to be!

Still working with Samsung and repairmen to learn if I can just replace the outter glass. If the whole oven
door has to be replaced, the cheapest I have found the door is $310. No idea what labor would be.

At this point I am so frustrated that I just want to buy a cheap range with NO glass in the oven door!
Anonymous User
March 04, 2013 11:07PM
My oven door just shattered while cleaning for the first time...I'm in shock...!

I will be calling Sears, and report back...

Model: 790.94463700

Serial Number: VF73538929

my report to CPSC with acknowledgement..

Your Report has been successfully submitted.
Thank you for submitting your Report to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). If you provided an e-mail address, you will receive a copy of your submitted Report.

Please keep this Report information for your reference:
•Report Number: 20130304-7328F-2147458232
•Date Submitted: 3/4/2013
•Report Status: Submitted and Certified

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2013 01:08AM by ColleenK.
Anonymous User
April 02, 2013 09:29PM
On March 11,2013 the oven door of my 3 year old kenmore range, model number: 7909745304, exploded. I opened it to put an item in. I only managed to open it about 6 inches before a shower of glass rained down on my feet. Some went flying 8 feet away. I had not pre-heated the oven, so it was cold, and the last time it was used prior to this incident was approximately 24 hours previously. I received a small cut.

Unfortunately, this is the second time that this has happened to this particular range. On December 6, 2011 the door exploded while my son was standing inches away. The door was replaced.. This time Sears is refusing to replace the door. They are, however, offering a 20% discount on a new one. I should say they "did" offer a 20% discount, because they are no longer taking my calls or returning my calls to tell them whether I will accept this ludricrous offer. They are expecting me to accept a 20% discount to replace a stove that I purchase three years ago for nearly $1000 during Thanksgiving sale. In addition they have put many stipulations on the offer such as the kind of store from which it can be bought and not floor models etc.

Even if I do decide to replace the range, how can I be sure that it will not happen to a new one, since it seems to be happening to a lot of the new stoves?
Anonymous User
June 13, 2013 06:58AM
This just happened to us last night. We have a Kenmore Stove that is less than 2 years old. The oven was not turned on it just exploded. thankfully, my 17 month old was not near me when it happened. We are currently working with Sears Parts and Service. They are sending a technician at no cost to come do an assessment. I'll keep you updated.

The Sears technician was here. He said Frigidaire (the original manufacturer) covers this under warranty 100%. Thank you, God! Sears Canada has handled this very well. My door will be fixed June 27th.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2013 12:02AM by scordova.
Anonymous User
July 03, 2013 03:32PM
I have just had the glass explode for a second time!!! The first time it happened I was on my way to Easter Sunday mass and the oven had not been in use. It just happened again yesterday while I was cooking. I am very disgusted with the way Sears is handling this situation. There should be a recall on this model. This is unacceptable. I contacted an attorney and was told to go to small claims court. Why should I have to keep shelling out money on an oven that is less than 5yrs old and have this safety hazard in my kitchen. I am now afraid worrying if it will happen a third time. Shame on Sears!!!!
Anonymous User
July 19, 2014 07:07PM
We have a Kenmore Model 790.92803011, and on July 1, right after we returned from vacation, we were heating the oven for a pizza (425 F). When the oven signalled the temperature was ready, I opened the dor, and the exterior glass just shattered and dropped out. We had purchased in November 2010 so it was clearly out of warranty. Since every person who has posted told their frustration at dealing with Sears Customer Service, and relayed stories of incredibly expensive repairs, I decided it was not worth the trouble. (I did call their 1-800 number to report the problem). I decided to go the D-I-Y root, and looked up the model on Sears parts website. After looking at the drawing, I decided to order the exterior glass (just under $70.00 plus shipping). We got the panel, and after a little time figuring the instructions (I found these online- nothing comes with the part), I got the panel replaced. My first attempt, I installed it with the glass upside down, so when I turned the door over, I had a clear glass area at the top revealing all the interior door parts.

The glass came from Electrolux, so I guess that is who manufactured the oven. To their credit there are actually three glass panels in the door, so we probably could have used the oven for the two weeks it took to research the problem, order the glass, and then actually repair the door. I also reported the problem to the CPSC, which had reports from 4 other owners of my model. Taking all Kenmore 790 series ovens into account there were literally hundreds of identical reports. It is obvious that the CPSC is only concerned about the size of the glass pieces. While most of my pieces were nuggets, I did have more than a few very sharp pointed shards that I would consider a safety hazard. Even after having the glass out, and the door completely disassembled, when I reassembled it there was the crunching of glass in the hinge mechanism the first few time we opened and closed the door. Everything is finally back to normal, but I find it disheartening that the CPSC does not mandate thicker glass on the doors, so it would not shatter. I guess consumer safety is not as important as corporate profits.
Anonymous User
August 29, 2014 08:49PM
I had a very similar experience to the mmcdonald just above. We had just gotten back from vacation and heated the oven to 450. I was in the next room and I heard a loud bang. The front glass exploded. This is a Kenmore 790.92803010. This stove is out of warranty - it is about 4 years old. I bought it in August, 2010. I called Sears and tried to appeal to their better judgment. The way I see it, this failure mode should NEVER EVER EVER happen under normal use. If your stove glass explodes, they should just fix it. I talked to 5 people in customer service and Sears refused to cover this under any sort of an extenuating circumstance special-case warranty. They did offer to send a service person or sell me an extended warranty, all at a cost, but did not admit fault. (They also offered to remodel my kitchen, which I declined. I'm not sure if their idea of remodeling is exploding glass shards covering the floor.)

Like the previous guy, I just ordered the glass and will replace it myself when it arrives. I also filed a complaint with the CSPC.

So, short summary: stove glass blew up, Sears didn't care, and the government probably won't care either. Please let me know if there's a class action lawsuit so I can sign up. smiling smiley
Anonymous User
September 24, 2014 03:29PM
Last night, Tuesday, September 23, 2014, my wife calls me at work around 7:00pm shaken up real bad. She tells me that our Kenmore Stove oven glass door exploded! She told me she was doing dishes and turned on the cleaner for the Kenmore oven while our 8 and 9 years old little girls were watching a show in the livingroom. After my wife was done in the kitchen, she and our daughters went into the bedroom to do their hair. My 8 years old daughter walked through the kitchen to go into the bathroom. After she was done in the bathroom, she was heading back to the bedroom, and right before she got into the kitchen, the outer glass on the Kenmore oven exploded, shattering all over our kitchen! I called Kenmore Service Repair at 1-888-536-6673, and talked to Gabriel, who was very concerned and calmed me down because I was still shaken up hearing about this from my wife. I am now waiting for a callback from Kenmore management on this today and will follow up.

I have NEVER heard of this happening before and just looked it up this morning on the Internet and found out this isn't rare with certain makes and models of ovens.
Anonymous User
September 24, 2014 11:29PM
UPDATE from September 23, 2014....

I called Kenmore last night and reported my Kenmore Oven glass door EXPLODING. I was informed I would receive a callback today from a specialist because this should not be happening. Well, forward to today, NO CALL BACK FROM ANYONE. I called Tina today and she was pretty much rude and acted like this was not THEIR problem. Very heartless even when I informed her that my 8 years old little girl was just feet from walking back through the kitchen to go to her mommy when the glass EXPLODED all over the kitchen. Now I understand that I have no warrentee on this, but I now have an oven that WORKS but cannot use it because it blows out glass in a 5' foot radius like a bomb. I read from one of the people on the website where they replaced the glass in the door and it did the same thing to the new glass they installed. I will NEVER buy anything from Sears or Kenmore again, and will spread the word on this SAFETY HAZARD!
Anonymous User
January 01, 2015 10:25PM
This morning I wake up to my husband standing in front of my Kenmore Elite Model # 790-36709501 Serial # NFh60208022, with shattered glass from the black glass oven door EXPLODING sending glass over 10 feet. Luckily, he was not hurt but to find this thread and over 140 complaints with over 40 of these that listed model numbers came from the 790 series. Some consumers have had the same problem twice. It appears this 790 series is manufactured by Frigidaire and nothing is being done by Sears, Kenmore, BBB, or Consumer Product Service Association. What will it take before action is taken. Very disappointed to find that none of these companies or protection agencies are considering a recall. Something needs to be done immediately. I placed a call but due to the New Year holiday offices are closed. I will call first thing in the morning. Will update response.
Anonymous User
April 04, 2015 08:01PM
What did you do? The same thing happened to me today. 4/4/15
First time self cleaning oven since bought in 2009? Glass inside shattered.
Anonymous User
April 06, 2015 10:17PM
This just happened to us yesterday, Easter Sunday. The oven was not on nor the stove and had not been on for hours. We never used the auto cleaner because I just got a bad feeling about using it. Glass on the outside just shattered. Again thank god no one was in front of it.
24-48 hours before Kenmore gets back to us!
Bad Business!
Anonymous User
June 03, 2015 08:15AM
First the handle fell off my built-in Kenmore oven. Then the front glass BLEW out. I assumed I had caused the blow when I opened the door sans handle. I ordered the glass replacement assembly in early November 2014; I received it the first of April 2015. 5 months - without oven - no holiday baking last year. Scheduled a repairman THRU SEARS to install. $40 service call. He called to confirm his arrival to "check my oven". I said, "No, to replace the glass front." And "Yes I already had the glass (after 5 months)." And "Yes, they had quoted me the cost. $40 min." Well I'd mistaken his 10 minutes to screw on a piece of glass as part of a minimum call. How much LESS could one do? But he said it would cost $170-210". Labor. I told him No Thanks.

I don't believe I can afford to do business with Sears: their snotty & condescending in-store personnel (Lawn & Garden, Collin ck mall)
NOR their parts personnel that can't seem to identify a part ON THEIR SCHEMATIC
NOR a *service* dept that is not forthcoming about cost (by a multiple of 5x).
Anonymous User
October 21, 2015 08:13PM
Same thing happened to me today. The entire front outer door panel of my Kenmore range exploded all over my kitchen. I'll be picking up pieces of glass for a year. It's an older model, I'm sure Sears will do nothing, but this shouldn't happen.
Anonymous User
Re: Exploding GE glass oven door
December 02, 2015 11:04PM
It's now 2015 and my GE gas range door internally exploded on it's own, with no help from us.... would of thought they had fixed it by now after reading all of this. My oven is a year and a half old (lucky me warranty) not sounding favorable after researching the net. I hardly use my oven.... still looks new, and having trouble getting through to GE.... should I be surprised? is there any class action yet on this matter? I have a horrible feeling I'm gonna get stuck with a repair bill that's not very affordable right now for something out of my control / not caused by me = FAULTY :/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!