SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Write and post your long form essays and articles on The SelectSmart.com Post.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey

Posted by sardonicadonis 
Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey
March 03, 2014 06:45PM
Is anyone else as excited as I am to see Neil deGrasse Tyson revamping Sagan's Cosmos series? The executive producers are Seth MacFarlane and Ann Druyan, Sagan's widow, and it airs in less than a week (March 9, 2014) on Fox and a few other Fox owned channels (FX, FXX, Nat Geo ... )

Cosmos has been a personal inspiration for me for years, and Sagan's "Personal Voyage" is still very applicable today. I love NDT amd trust he will do wonders with this fascinating series.

============================================================================

*Sanders 2016*

"And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're going through"
Re: Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey
March 03, 2014 07:43PM
Better than another Pawn Stars rerun.
Anonymous User
March 03, 2014 08:48PM
Don't even get me started on pawn stars...
March 03, 2014 09:43PM
We're pretty excited. smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley

March 04, 2014 01:17AM
Sardo, I'm super-excited for the series, not Tyson. I don't watch much TV, but I'll tune in to a few episodes to see if they meet the hype, and if they do I'll buy the box set. I was a huuuge fan of the original Cosmos. I remember watching it when I was a kid, but too young to understand it. Then I found the book and loved it. Bought the DVD's in 2006 and I've watched the whole series about four or five times.

I'm not as big fan of Neil deGrasse Tyson. I don't dislike him, but I don't find him compelling, and I find the comparisons to Sagan (that were being made long before the announcement of the new Cosmos) irritating. Sagan's charming humbleness and sense of wonder were what made Cosmos work for me. I'm going to do my best to put aside my biases and try to be as open-minded as possible when watching Neil.
March 04, 2014 05:26AM
Sagan was the best. No one is ever going to top him. That said, I can't think of anyone better to host a revisiting of the series than Tyson.

March 04, 2014 08:54PM
Sagan had the accent - that's all. Okay... and the Vidal Sassoon hair. Two things.
March 05, 2014 04:41PM
He had the passion about what he was talking about. You got sucked into his passion about the universe. Not everyone can do that on TV. I'm not even sure that Tyson can pull that off.

March 05, 2014 05:58PM
Tyson is certainly no Sagan ... but he's a good pick considering Sagan isn't an option sad smiley

I would've also liked to have seen Brian Greene as the host.

*Sanders 2016*

March 05, 2014 08:23PM
Leonard Nimoy. thumbs up
March 05, 2014 09:38PM
Too old.

March 05, 2014 10:42PM
Uggh. I would not watch if Nimoy were hosting ... never found him very interesting.

*Sanders 2016*

March 05, 2014 11:36PM
Nimoy voice timber and delivery make him a great narrator for science / sciene fiction / paranormal. But for Cosmos you need someone with a passion for making hard science accessible. Cosmos is about the human relationship to the universe, and thus the narrator's human qualities are important. That's Tyson or Greene. I also wouldn't have minded if Ann Druyan decided to narrate an episode or two.
March 06, 2014 01:01AM
How about the new Spock? thumbs up
March 13, 2014 04:11AM
Anyone catch the first episode? I felt it didn't have the same magic the original Cosmos did when I first saw it (and every time since ). I'm hoping the rest of the series picks up. I do like NdT, but maybe he's trying too hard?

*Sanders 2016*

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!