SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Share
Write and post your long form essays and articles on The SelectSmart.com Post.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"

Posted by Dick 
Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 24, 2013 03:59AM
Belief in ET visitation is more about a lack of critical thinking skills than anything else. Lots of folks believe that it's a waste of time to study how to think but not to "study" ufology or the bible or the paranormal.

This, sadly enough, is the world we live in.
Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 24, 2013 11:42PM
Dick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Gordon Cooper
> claim to have met aliens?
>
> I think you have a scoop there, Indy.


I think you changed what was said - as you always do when your argument has been totally eviscerated.


>
> I'm sure those 3 people, like most people, have
> (or had) some pretty weird irrational beliefs but
> I haven't heard your particular claim attributed
> to them. Armstrong, for example, never or seldom
> exercised because he apparently believed that a
> person is born with a given number of breaths in a
> lifetime and Armstrong didn't want to speed up his
> demise by using up his allotted number of breaths
> faster by exercising.


LOL! Yes - I would be changing the subject if I were you too.
Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 24, 2013 11:44PM
Dick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Belief in ET visitation is more about a lack of
> critical thinking skills than anything else. Lots
> of folks believe that it's a waste of time to
> study how to think but not to "study" ufology or
> the bible or the paranormal.
>
> This, sadly enough, is the world we live in.



Dick loses the debate - but he's been holding onto that one since his OP - so he had to post it anyway or his head would have exploded. grinning smiley
Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 25, 2013 04:36PM
As far as those of us with IQs in the triple digits can see it, you've been floundering for the past 4 pages, Indy. Do try to keep up - that you can't follow Dick doesn't mean he "loses the debate"; and what a silly notion that is, coming from you - it means you need to put a little more thought in to what is being said. Do you even read your own posts?

============================================================================

*Sanders 2016*

"And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're going through"
Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 25, 2013 09:19PM
Sardo - I will spot you 20 points in an IQ test any time you're ready.
Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 25, 2013 10:07PM
Indy, do you believe ET has a base on the moon? Cause your friend Neil Armstrong did. Still find his opinion credible? Do you agree or disagree that there is or could be an ET base on the moon?

============================================================================

*Sanders 2016*

"And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're going through"
Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 26, 2013 04:57PM
Nothing that is extremely unlikely could ever possibly happen. Nothing we don't already know about could ever possibly be real. Nothing we don't have evidence for could ever possibly exist.

Anyone who doesn't agree with this is an illogical dreamer detached from reality and devoid of the capability of rational thought.

Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 26, 2013 06:18PM
That you sum it up that way is a gross misunderstanding or exaggeration of the point that is trying to be made.

The question, then, is whether or not you're purposely misrepresenting that position.

Well?

============================================================================

*Sanders 2016*

"And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're going through"
Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 26, 2013 06:34PM
In the Apollo days, astronauts were fighter jocks, not scientists. Some had engineering or aeronautical degrees, and of course nearly all of them had plenty of flight time in the best performing craft of their day. So they certainly had more experience than the average joe in identifying airborne objects, and they certainly had expertise on the matter of whether or not an object they were observing was performing outside of the capabilities of something manmade.** But they were pilots — their expertise falls under the category of flying their aircraft. People hear the word "astronaut" and their imaginations get the better of them. They start thinking all kinds of Buck Rogers stuff, like as soon as you get to a certain altitude, whammo! you burst into oooouttteeer spaaaaace, and you're dodging planets, starfighters, and green tentacle monsters.

When you get right down to it, Apollo astronauts were simply pilots who flew higher. I think it's a little silly to claim that what an Apollo astronaut believes lends any credence to any ET theory.

Sardo, you sure about Armstrong believing in an alien moon base? I always that that was something made up by the late-night UFO radio talk-show crowd.


** Of course, that's only pertinent when we're talking about something that's performing just outside of the capabilities of something man-made ... anyone can tell that an object that makes a 90 degree turn and zips out of sight nearly instantly probably isn't a meteor or a 747.
Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 26, 2013 09:29PM
Navy,

I'm not sure about that, it's just something I read while looking in to the matter after Indy brought it up. It could be completely fabricated - I did, however, read several accounts of the three Apollo 11 astronauts did believe that there were aliens on or around the moon telling them to get out and stay away. This is also something that could be completely fabricated; it's just what I read.

============================================================================

*Sanders 2016*

"And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're going through"
Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 26, 2013 11:44PM
Navy2711 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the Apollo days, astronauts were fighter jocks,
> not scientists. Some had engineering or
> aeronautical degrees, and of course nearly all of
> them had plenty of flight time in the best
> performing craft of their day. So they certainly
> had more experience than the average joe in
> identifying airborne objects, and they certainly
> had expertise on the matter of whether or not an
> object they were observing was performing outside
> of the capabilities of something manmade.** But
> they were pilots — their expertise falls under
> the category of flying their aircraft.
>
> When you get right down to it, Apollo astronauts
> were simply pilots who flew higher. I think it's
> a little silly to claim that what an Apollo
> astronaut believes lends any credence to any ET
> theory.
>
> Sardo, you sure about Armstrong believing in an
> alien moon base? I always that that was something
> made up by the late-night UFO radio talk-show
> crowd.
>
>
> ** Of course, that's only pertinent when we're
> talking about something that's performing just
> outside of the capabilities of something man-made
> ... anyone can tell that an object that makes a 90
> degree turn and zips out of sight nearly instantly
> probably isn't a meteor or a 747.



A. We all saw The Right Stuff.

B. So you're telling us the eyewitness accounts of astronauts hold no credence whatsoever - but your opinion does? eye rolling smiley

Seriously... I couldn't make this stuff up. I humbly bow to your command of the absurd, Navy.


People
> hear the word "astronaut" and their imaginations
> get the better of them. They start thinking all
> kinds of Buck Rogers stuff, like as soon as you
> get to a certain altitude, whammo! you burst into
> oooouttteeer spaaaaace, and you're dodging
> planets, starfighters, and green tentacle
> monsters.


Have you tried putting a call in to SNL? They might be looking for writers. grinning smiley






Edit:

To change "opinions" to "eyewitness accounts".



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2013 12:48AM by Indy!.
Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 27, 2013 05:44AM
Ponderer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing that is extremely unlikely could ever
> possibly happen.


Simply moronic.

It is absolutely true that if X could possibly happen, then X could possibly happen.

I know you're smarter than this.
Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 27, 2013 05:56AM
Indy wrote: I think you changed what was said - as you always do when your argument has been totally eviscerated.

Come again? You haven't listed any of the evidence that you say makes you believe it's likely that ETs have visited earth. All you've done is to claim that 3 astronauts believe what you believe. Do you know what a fallacy is? Do you know what an argument is? You don't seem to.

All the time in your life that you wasted perusing UFO sites and reading books like "Chariots Of The Gods" would have been much better invested in one single solitary critical thinking course. It's probably too late for that now, though.
Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 27, 2013 11:13AM
Bravo. Author, author... You found yet another opportunity to trot out the tired Mr. Peabody routine again. How on Earth (capitalized... it's a proper noun) could anybody have guessed that's where you were headed with this thread? eye rolling smiley
Re: "Why Do People Believe in UFOs?"
December 27, 2013 11:47AM
Do you know what a fallacy is, Indy? Do you know what evidence is? Do you know what an argument is? You don't seem to know any of these things or care about them. You seem to accept as true whatever catches your fancy at the moment without applying any critical thinking skills whatsoever.

Why do you believe aliens have visited earth? Do you have any evidence at all for this besides the fact that you think 3 astronauts and some other people. as well, also believe it? Is it that you're afraid to test your beliefs?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login



Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!