Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.

The job of the Biden campaign is simple, and Trump is helping.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Isn't it odd that . . . .

Posted by Henry M. Paulson 
Isn't it odd that . . . .
August 04, 2010 09:11PM
Isn't it odd that although it seems reasonable to believe that intelligent extraterrestrial life is more likely to exist than omniscient extraterrestrial life, people who believe messages are being beamed to them by aliens are laughed at or carted off to mental institutions while those who claim to receive help from a god are taken seriously?

And, sadly, this mindset holds true for many non-religious posters on this board.
Anonymous User
Re: Isn't it odd that . . . .
August 04, 2010 10:56PM
on what basis is it more reasonable? there is NO evidence of ANY KIND that life exists anywhere else.
August 05, 2010 02:45AM
We know beyond reasonable doubt that intelligent life (all jokes aside) exists in the universe. There is evidence that the cosmological principle is true even though that evidence is not anywhere near sufficient to constitute proof. Given those two facts alone, there is some non-insignificant probability that intelligent life exists beyond earth.

There is NO evidence that omniscience exists anywhere and some even argue that it cannot exist.

OTOH, no one argues that intelligent life cannot exist beyond earth. At best, some people (although not the majority of those who know best about these matters -- astrobiologists) believe that that proposition is only to some degree unlikely.
August 05, 2010 03:03AM
Why the recent interest in ETs, Henry? Have you been visited?! eye popping smiley
Anonymous User
August 05, 2010 03:24AM
HMP, your view here is irrational in that it subscribes to and adopts a theoretical and miniscule probability of life elsewhere, despite a total failure by science to date to find any evidence whatsoever of ETL. It isn't as though we've failed to look, over the past several thousand years. You've accepted what more and more is being recognized as a failed hypothesis----namely, the spontaneous generation of life on Earth as a biochemical incident or accident. The probabilities you're chasing here are simply proving to be too small for rational credence. The best current hypothesis is now that life was created here through some form of "intelligent" intervention. This is the theory that best fits the available knowledge in cellular biology.
August 05, 2010 03:48AM
Bellyfire, have you considered getting your GED? It might be worth looking into. Maybe even get an increase in your hourly wage that way. Good luck.

George, no, I haven't been visited. I am a visitor (but don't tell anyone).
August 05, 2010 05:58AM
Well I could have told you that, Henry...
August 05, 2010 07:40AM
The best current hypothesis is now that life was created here through some form of "intelligent" intervention. This is the theory that best fits the available knowledge in cellular biology. - belly

The best hypothesis? Why is that the best? Who besides you said it was the best? Certainly not the scientific community.

Who intervened to create the intelligent interventionists who allegedly created life on Earth? And who intervened to create those interventionists? And so on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2010 07:42AM by PowerToThePeople.
August 05, 2010 09:34AM
Bellyfire writes,

The best current hypothesis is now that life was created here through some form of "intelligent" intervention. This is the theory that best fits the available knowledge in cellular biology.

That "hypothesis" is not accepted by any legitimate biologists anywhere on earth. It is a religious cult doctrine, nothing more. If you don't realize that you are stunningly ignorant.
August 05, 2010 11:00AM
I find it more than odd I find it mucho bizzaro.

As I've stated before the odds of there NOT being any intelligent life besides us in the Universe borders on the ridiculously impossible.

Just like the odds of the existence of a bronze age god who took human form to sacrifice himself for his flawed creation borders on the absolutely absurdly impossible.

Hank it's obvious to me that theists are in denial, the very notion that we're not god's one and only special little creation sends them into hysterics not to mention that it doesn't say anything about ETIL in Genesis.

Bellyfire abiogenesis is a emerging science but there a number of sound hypothesis that can explain how life came into being on earth. I suggest you read something other than the non scientific crap the Discovery Institute put on their website. Though I find it ironic that you claim that an "intelligence" started life here on earth but don't believe intelligent life other than humans, exists in the universe.

As for evidence of ETIL well bellyfire. We only started looking in 1974 and there was a hint of something that got everyone at SETI excited.

The Wow! signal was a strong narrowband radio signal detected by Dr. Jerry R. Ehman on August 15, 1977, while working on a SETI project at The Big Ear radio telescope of Ohio State University.[1] The signal bore expected hallmarks of potential non-terrestrial and non-solar system origin. It lasted for the full 72 second duration that Big Ear observed it, but has not been detected again. Much attention has been focused on it in the media when talking about SETI results.

Amazed at how closely the signal matched the expected signature of an interstellar signal in the antenna used, Ehman circled the signal on the computer printout and wrote the comment "Wow!" on its side. This comment became the name of the signal.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2010 11:05AM by Fascinated_foreigner.
pb
August 05, 2010 03:33PM
Somehow, go, I've never succeeded in laughing WITH you. I can only get as far as laughing AT you.

Subjectivity certainly is your truth. You just don't get that.
August 05, 2010 04:01PM
FF wrote: "As for evidence of ETIL well bellyfire. We only started looking in 1974 and there was a hint of something that got everyone at SETI excited."

What are you talking about, FF?

Belly just told us that we've been looking for extraterrestrial life for the past "several thousand years"!!! You mean to say you think he's mistaken?

Seriously, what this suggests to me is that Belly's probably mistaken old Flintstones episodes for documentaries.

"Wiiiiiiilllmmmmmmmaaaaaaa!!! Where's my telerockoscope?"
August 05, 2010 04:39PM

The first important Western thinkers to argue systematically for a Universe full of other planets and, therefore, possible extraterrestrial life were the ancient Greek writer Thales and his student Anaximander in the 7th and 6th centuries B.C. The atomists of Greece like Epicurus took up the idea, arguing that an infinite universe ought to have an infinity of populated worlds. Ancient Greek cosmology worked against the idea of extraterrestrial life in one critical respect, however: the geocentric Universe. Championed by Aristotle and codified by Ptolemy, it favored the Earth and Earth-life (Aristotle denied that there could be a plurality of worlds) and seemingly rendered extraterrestrial life philosophically untenable. Lucian of Samosata, in his novels, described inhabitants of the Moon and other celestial bodies as humanoids, but significantly different from humans.

Authors of Jewish sources also considered extraterrestrial life. The Talmud states that there are at least 18,000 other worlds, but provides little elaboration on the nature of those worlds, or on whether they are physical or spiritual. Based on this, however, the 18th century exposition "Sefer HaB'rit" posits that extraterrestrial creatures exist, and that some may well possess intelligence. It adds that humans should not expect creatures from another world to resemble earthly life any more than sea creatures resemble land animals.

Hindu beliefs of endlessly repeated cycles of life have led to descriptions of multiple worlds in existence and their mutual contacts (Sanskrit word sampark (सम्पर्क) means "contact" as in Mahasamparka (महासम्पर्क) = "the great contact"winking smiley. According to Hindu scriptures, there are innumerable universes to facilitate the fulfillment of the separated desires of innumerable living entities. However, the purpose of such creations is to bring back the deluded souls to correct understanding about the purpose of life. Aside from the innumerable universes which are material, there is also the unlimited spiritual world, where the purified living entities live with perfect conception about life and ultimate reality. The spiritually aspiring saints and devotees, as well as thoughtful men of the material world, have been getting guidance and help from these purified living entities of the spiritual world from time immemorial. However, the relevance of such descriptions has to be evaluated in the context of a correct understanding of geography and science at those times.

Source: [en.wikipedia.org]
Anonymous User
August 05, 2010 09:36PM
the hindus were wrong about the far side of the moon
August 06, 2010 05:13AM
Gee Hank the ancient Greeks, ancient Jews and Hindus had their own SETI program! Do you think they improve on Fred Flintones telerockoscope?

I think they had satellite dish made out of bronze on top of the Parthenon and Mt Sinai.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!