Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Australia's own Chinese Lesbian Minister for Climate Change has announced that she doesn't believe in gay marriage. Gay groups, appalled by this heresy, have already beginned with the torches and pitchforks.

Posted by George 

A LESBIAN minister in the Gillard Government has spoken of being discriminated against because of her sexuality and race.

Gay rights activists have accused Climate Change Minister Penny Wong, who is also Australia's first openly gay federal government minister, of selling out because she has said she supports Labor's policy rejecting gay marriage.

But Senator Wong has defended her approach of publicly supporting the stance of defining marriage as being between a man and a woman.

The issue is getting little attention in the election campaign, which is instead focusing on the economy and immigration.

Equality?

Under Kevin Rudd, Labor amended laws to give gay couples more rights and recognition for their relationships. The government said that was part of ending discrimination against gay people.

But Labor drew the line at changing the marriage laws, saying the community expected "marriage" to remain solely for heterosexuals. The Coalition has a similar stance, but the Greens want the law changed.

An audience member on last night's Q&A on ABC1 criticised her for not leading the charge on gay marriage, because of her personal connection to the issue.

"By virtue of who I am, prejudice and discrimination are things I have first-hand knowledge of," she said.

"When I entered the parliament, I did actually think very carefully about how to handle being Asian and gay and in the parliament, because it hadn't been done before."

Senator Wong said that before entering public life, she decided to be "absolutely open" about who she was.

"Part of the reason I did that was because I thought it was very important to show that you should never be ashamed of who you are," she said.

Greens senator Christine Milne took exception to Senator Wong's defence of Labor's record on tackling gay discrimination. "This is a lack of leadership I have to say," she said.

Earlier, her party leader, Senator Bob Brown, said he was "horrified" by Senator Wong's position.

Senator Brown, also openly gay, said Australia needed to move on from the status quo. "I was horrified. To somehow excuse discrimination ... on the basis of culture or heritage - are we going to bring back in hanging?"

He said Australia's political leaders needed to drag attitudes into the 21st century, rather than sweep the issue under the carpet.

Labor powerbroker Graham Richardson, a former Hawke government cabinet minister, leapt to Senator Wong's defence on the program. "I'm amazed somewhat by these questions, really," he said.

Labor's policies to help gay defacto couples would not have happened without Senator Wong's place in the Government, Mr Richardson said, adding that many ALP members were opposed to the measures.

Read more: [www.news.com.au]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2010 04:53AM by George.
I've met gays and lesbians who think marriage should only be for heterosexuals. I work with a very religious lesbian who thinks that in fact.

Assuming that your "very religious" lesbian friend is a Christian, how does she rationalize the fact that the Christian God disapproves (to say the least) of homosexuality?
Beats me. She does go to a very progressive and accepting small Christian church.

Ponderer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've met gays and lesbians who think marriage
> should only be for heterosexuals. I work with a
> very religious lesbian who thinks that in fact.

Ponderer, do you consider this a betrayal of other gays in any way? Because to hear the beat-up this is getting over here, you'd think a Jew had endorsed the holocaust.
I think considering it a betrayal is a knee jerk reaction many will have in the gay and lesbian community. I would guess that many if not nearly all of the gays and lesbians who are against same sex marriage believe that because of their religious convictions. I think it's a bit unfair to expect some one's connections to a community based on sexual preference to override their religious beliefs. Even if they seem to be able to do it in other areas.

I also think it may be possible that some in the gay and lesbian community who are against same sex marriage have adopted that opinion in an attempt to over-compensate for the apparent contradiction of their lifestyle to their religion. I kinda get that feeling with my co-worker.

Henry M. Paulson Wrote:
> Assuming that your "very religious" lesbian friend
> is a Christian, how does she rationalize the fact
> that the Christian God disapproves (to say the
> least) of homosexuality?

Good question.

I've known people whose natural inclination is to desire sex with those of the same sex but whose commitment to Christ led them to a life of celibacy. As I've said many times in the past, it's simply hedonism to believe that a desire is its own justification. Most followers of Jesus acknowledge that there are some things that they desire that are sin.

pond,

Does your friend engage in same sex sex? If so, how does she justify her actions based on the teachings of Jesus and the apostles?
pb Wrote:
> I've known people whose natural inclination is to
> desire sex with those of the same sex but whose
> commitment to Christ led them to a life of
> celibacy. As I've said many times in the past,
> it's simply hedonism to believe that a desire is
> its own justification. Most followers of Jesus
> acknowledge that there are some things that they
> desire that are sin.

Its not just same sex sex that is hedonist. But ANY sex for the purpose of pleasure instead of making babies IS hedonistic.

God design sex for making babies, not for wasteful spilling of His precious seed in rubber tubings.

Palin is a babe.

Pitt

------------------------------------------------------

But do you understand what the New York Times wants, and the far-left want? They want to break down the white, Christian, male power structure, which you're a part, and so am I, and they want to bring in millions of foreign nationals to basically break down the structure that we have. In that regard, Pat Buchanan is right. So I say you've got to cap with a number. - Bill O'Reilly thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2010 05:50PM by PalinIsTheTruth.
Its not just same sex sex that is hedonist. But ANY sex for the purpose of pleasure instead of making babies IS hedonistic.

huh?

I assume you're attempting to characterize what I think. You're not even close.

God design sex for making babies, not for wasteful spilling of His precious seed in rubber tubings.

I'm sure you don't believe that and I, for sure, have never said that.

Palin is a babe.

Amen! Preach it!
No time to engage in serious discussions nowadaze. sad smiley

Pitt

But do you understand what the New York Times wants, and the far-left want? They want to break down the white, Christian, male power structure, which you're a part, and so am I, and they want to bring in millions of foreign nationals to basically break down the structure that we have. In that regard, Pat Buchanan is right. So I say you've got to cap with a number. - Bill O'Reilly thumbs up
PITT:
> Its not just same sex sex that is hedonist. But
> ANY sex for the purpose of pleasure instead of
> making babies IS hedonistic.

PBish:
> huh?
>
> I assume you're attempting to characterize what I
> think. You're not even close.

Nope! The views which I've just presented above was simply just one which is more consistent and less hypocritical that your's. It was meant as a "suggestion".

Since, how does, (QUOTE) " As I've said many times in the past,
> its own justification. "
...apply exclusively to same sex sex but not different sex sex?

Pitt

PB wrote: "I've known people whose natural inclination is to desire sex with those of the same sex but whose commitment to Christ led them to a life of celibacy."

It's not enough just to lead a life of celibacy, one must also lose the desire for illicit sex; for it is written: "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery [or, here, homosexuality] with her in his heart."
"pond,

Does your friend engage in same sex sex? If so, how does she justify her actions based on the teachings of Jesus and the apostles?
" -pb

Again, I don't know how she justifies it. I've never grilled her about it and she's never offered. She is in a 20-something year long relationship. She doesn't strike me as the unfaithful type at all. Neither does her partner.

Perhaps gay politicians just say they are against same sex marriage to get their foot in the door at election time? Politicians are not famous for telling the truth...
Nope! The views which I've just presented above was simply just one which is more consistent and less hypocritical that your's. It was meant as a "suggestion".

I'm experiencing yet another Heisenberg moment.
Since, how does, (QUOTE) " As I've said many times in the past,
> its own justification. "...apply exclusively to same sex sex but not different sex sex?

Duh.

It doesn't!

I can only imagine what it must have been like to be Heisenberg!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!