Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.

The job of the Biden campaign is simple, and Trump is helping.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

KAIROS WROTE: Why is homosexuality EVIL? Also why is fornication EVIL?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Re: KAIROS WROTE: Why is homosexuality EVIL? Also why is fornication EVIL?
July 28, 2010 10:21PM

kai,

Do you have problems with the possibility that there may be a good that exists beyond your understanding? Or, are you so presumptuous that you believe that you have everything figured out?

Are you talking about benevolent aliens?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!
pb
July 28, 2010 10:52PM
Kairos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> kai,
>
> Do you have problems with the possibility that
> there may be a good that exists beyond your
> understanding? Or, are you so presumptuous that
> you believe that you have everything figured out?
>
>
> Are you talking about benevolent aliens?

I'm talking about you.
July 28, 2010 11:37PM
pb Wrote:
> kai,
>
> Do you have problems with the possibility that
> there may be a good that exists beyond your
> understanding?

Why would you think that Kai or anyone else would have a problem with the possibility that Nessie or Santa or the Easter Bunny or Zeus or Nicole Simpson's "real" killer or your god might exist in a place beyond his understanding?

What is the significance of the possibility of god's existence to the probability of god's existence? Can you answer that or do you need help?
Sam
July 29, 2010 12:13AM
robby said: "evil or sin is simply that which is contrary to the nature of god and his will for us."
Precisely and since there are no gods, there is no such thing as evil or sin.

peebs, Kai does have everything figured out. Makes perfect sense. It's you trailing behind...
Hank, Can you come up with a new way to explain the difference between possibility and probability, perhaps a good source would be Reasoning for Dummies?
July 29, 2010 12:33AM
If I thought pb and the other fundamentalists on this board would read that book I'd personally buy and ship each of 'em a copy.

They'll never get it. To them, not knowing something means, for some reason, something beyond being ignorant about it. In one step they go from declaring that god is mysterious and inscrutable and "possibly" existent to telling us all about this mysterious, inscrutable, possibly existing god as if they're talking about their own grandfather!

It is plainly insane.

In another thread, pb implies that Jesus cares about poverty since he ("he" being Jesus, certainly not pb) spent some of his precious earthly time caring for the poor. Well, hello, anyone home? Apparently pb has temporarily forgotten that he thinks Jesus is a freakin' omnipotent god? If Jesus wanted to alleviate poverty and if Jesus is an omnipotent god, poverty would be alleviated NOW!

Then you've got "Christians" like Peter and Islander who can't even define the words that they use and . . . well, what can you do?
Sam
July 29, 2010 12:43AM
Welcome to every family reunion I've ever been to...
July 29, 2010 01:03AM
Poor you. Thank god my family's not religious. Dealing with those people, even though you love 'em (or may because you love 'em), must drive you nuts.
Sam
July 29, 2010 01:09AM
You have no idea...Making myself a Proud Strong Atheist has scared a few off me so I've got that going for me...lol...being xian they all think they are alike and I'm a black sheep until somebody actually brings up a point which sets them off against each other....my precious time to escape usually...to the backyard with the kids who don't give a flying f*ck about any of it...Heaven
Poor you. Thank god my family's not religious. Dealing with those people, even though you love 'em (or may because you love 'em), must drive you nuts. -Henry

You do not need to be religious. All you need is "relationship" to the true and living God - Jesus Christ.

Study the four Gospel. All the religious leaders were against Jesus with the exception of Nicodemus and Paul when he was converted into Christianity in Damascus road (Book of Acts).

God bless.
pb
July 29, 2010 05:18PM
What is the significance of the possibility of god's existence to the probability of god's existence? Can you answer that or do you need help? hank

How is that a non sequitur?
pb
July 29, 2010 06:34PM
Henry M. Paulson Wrote:
> If I thought pb and the other fundamentalists on
> this board would read that book I'd personally buy
> and ship each of 'em a copy.

And, I'd read it--but only after you finish Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling. But, even though I'm sure you'd get it, you'd be afraid to embrace the truth in it, eh?
sam says:
"Precisely and since there are no gods, there is no such thing as evil or sin."

sam are you sure you believe that? you really live your life as if no thing was evil, that no action is undesirable?
July 30, 2010 01:25AM
There is no contradiction in living one's life as if some things were evil and at the same time for evil not to exist any more than there is a contradiction in living one's life as if a god exists and at the same time for no god to exist.
July 30, 2010 02:11AM
you really live your life as if no thing was evil, that no action is undesirable? - rob

Sam has a problem with the word "evil" because it has a religious implication, i.e. "forces of evil", demons, Satan, etc. That's very different than acknowledging that sometimes people commit horrible acts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2010 03:56AM by PowerToThePeople.
Sam
July 30, 2010 03:47AM
PttP, It appears you are attributing that statement to me when it was actually robohnonotagain who said that in response to my statement that evil doesn't exist because gods don't. Probably just a typo? I agree there are many actions that are undesirable, horrible. Gods and angels and demons oh my all battling it out, Forces of Good and Evil? Yikes, let's grow up, k? Enough with the comic book vernacular already.
July 30, 2010 03:57AM
Oops! My bad. Sorry about that, Sam.
henry
"There is no contradiction in living one's life as if some things were evil and at the same time for evil not to exist any more than there is a contradiction in living one's life as if a god exists and at the same time for no god to exist. "

well, first, i didn't question that, i questioned if she was sincere in saying nothing is good or evil. but if no creator, on what basis do you decide if something is good or evil?

sam
" I agree there are many actions that are undesirable, horrible. "

i thought so. now....on what basis do you decide which is which?
July 30, 2010 08:27PM
You need to get Beyond Good and Evil, rob. (Good name for a book title, eh?)

The particular behaviors, actions, etc., that people call "good" change over time. This is because what is called "good" are the things that are thought to benefit society or the powers-that-be at any point in time, and that changes from era to era and sometimes even from generation to generation.

Example: In America today it is thought to be a "good" thing to work yourself to death. This has not always been the case and will not be the case in the future when people look back at us and go -- "What the hell were those people thinking? Are they really our ancestors?"

At one time it was a good thing to burn a witch at the stake and to allow leeches to suck your body almost dry of blood. In some parts of America today it is considered "good" by some people to babble incoherently like an idiot and to pick up poisonous snakes and such. Actions, behavior, etc. that are considered "good" is not universal, generally speaking. What is considered to be "good" at one point in time in one place might not be considered "good" at another point in time or in some other place.
Sam
July 30, 2010 10:49PM
rob, On the basis of what makes me cringe and what makes me smile...
July 31, 2010 03:15AM
"but if no creator, on what basis do you decide if something is good or evil?"---Rob

Rob, pick up a copy of your state’s DMV laws. On what basis did we decide those rules? On what basis did we decide that it would be good to put up a stop sign and require people to stop when they came to that intersection that? We made those decisions based on real life experiences.

What is good or bad (evil) depends on your goal. If we want to drive from point A to point B as quickly and safely as possible, things that help us to accomplish that are good, while things that inhibit that are bad (evil).

I want to live as freely as possible in peace and harmony with my neighbors…what promotes that is good, what inhibits or prevents that is bad.

Basically, this is how we decide what is good or evil. We can support those beliefs, if we are “believers” by asserting that God has ruled that this is good and that is evil.

Depending on how deeply you want to get into it, such a belief might or might not be true. However, a creator need not be necessary to determine for us and tell us what is good and what is bad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!