Forum Index Tips & Rules
SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Join to post comments.

Is your name welcomed below? Then you are invited to post in these forums: Politics Philosophy Diversions Theology
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Frank Miller interview with NPR

Posted by Juergen 
Frank Miller interview with NPR
September 11, 2009 07:31PM
Quote

NPR: […] Frank, what’s the state of the union?

FM: Well, I don’t really find myself worrying about the state of the union as I do the state of the home-front. It seems to me quite obvious that our country and the entire Western World is up against an existential foe that knows exactly what it wants … and we’re behaving like a collapsing empire. Mighty cultures are almost never conquered, they crumble from within. And frankly, I think that a lot of Americans are acting like spoiled brats because of everything that isn’t working out perfectly every time.

NPR: Um, and when you say we don’t know what we want, what’s the cause of that do you think?

FM: Well, I think part of that is how we’re educated. We’re constantly told all cultures are equal, and every belief system is as good as the next. And generally that America was to be known for its flaws rather than its virtues. When you think about what Americans accomplished, building these amazing cities, and all the good its done in the world, it’s kind of disheartening to hear so much hatred of America, not just from abroad, but internally.

NPR: A lot of people would say what America has done abroad has led to the doubts and even the hatred of its own citizens.

FM: Well, okay, then let’s finally talk about the enemy. For some reason, nobody seems to be talking about who we’re up against, and the sixth century barbarism that they actually represent. These people saw people’s heads off. They enslave women, they genitally mutilate their daughters, they do not behave by any cultural norms that are sensible to us. I’m speaking into a microphone that never could have been a product of their culture, and I’m living in a city where three thousand of my neighbors were killed by thieves of airplanes they never could have built.

NPR: As you look at people around you, though, why do you think they’re so, as you would put it, self-absorbed, even whiny?

FM: Well, I’d say it’s for the same reason the Athenians and Romans were. We’ve got it a little good right now. Where I would fault President Bush the most, was that in the wake of 9/11, he motivated our military, but he didn’t call the nation into a state of war. He didn’t explain that this would take a communal effort against a common foe. So we’ve been kind of fighting a war on the side, and sitting off like a bunch of Romans complaining about it. Also, I think that George Bush has an uncanny knack of being someone people hate. I thought Clinton inspired more hatred than any President I had ever seen, but I’ve never seen anything like Bush-hatred. It’s completely mad.

NPR: And as you talk to people in the streets, the people you meet at work, socially, how do you explain this to them?

FM: Mainly in historical terms, mainly saying that the country that fought Okinawa and Iwo Jima is now spilling precious blood, but so little by comparison, it’s almost ridiculous. And the stakes are as high as they were then. Mostly I hear people say, ‘Why did we attack Iraq?’ for instance. Well, we’re taking on an idea. Nobody questions why after Pearl Harbor we attacked Nazi Germany. It was because we were taking on a form of global fascism, we’re doing the same thing now.

NPR: Well, they did declare war on us, but…

FM: Well, so did Iraq.

Go get yourself a copy of 300, Kai.


“Forget the war between the sexes. If being equal means we have fight and have the 50% chance of divorce for every marriage we have, forget it. Let's respect each other for what we are and try to get along with more respect. "Equality" might be an illusory goal, since we've each got different equipment, inside and out, but respect and compassion are eternal.” — Barack Obama
Re: Frank Miller interview with NPR
September 12, 2009 12:17AM
Quote
Mighty cultures are almost never conquered, they crumble from within.

Politically ambitious power-seekers try to rally people against a common enemy like this-- read George Orwell's "1984". Since the Soviet empire fell, conservatives have been caasting about for a new bogeyman.

But Islamists are not out to take over the West, they are simply reacting to Western aggression in their own lands, paricularly the British colonialism that culminated in the handover of Palestine to Zionists. How hypocritical of Western conservatives to present themselves as the antidote to Islamic fundamentalism when the only reason that conservative Christians are more moderate than Islamists is because of the influence of Western secular humanism. Religious fanaticism is toxic to civilization; the cure is rationalism, democracy and tolerance. Dark, backward movements like funamentalism are already at work within our culture, but it is the Christian variety, not the Islamic, that is the greater threat.
Re: Frank Miller interview with NPR
September 12, 2009 06:25AM
While America has been looking at herself in the mirror (either in admiration or disdain), she is falling behind her peers in the civilized world.

Cultural religious fanaticism doesn't just arise in a vaccum but comes as a response to feelings of fear and helplessness. Islamofascism is a Frankenstein monster that the West helped build with its corruption, aggression and interference with others' sovereignty. (By the way Juergen thank you for supplying the information about Operation Ajax on another thread. I didn't know about that and I don't think many Americans do.)

We recently saw a video of a teen girl being stoned to death while law enforcement looks the other way. It is shocking in its brutality particularly because of the pettiness of the offense she committed and because it was her own kin who did it. But it isn't a whole lot different than the lynchings that were common in the US just decades ago. Likewise I believe these "barbarian" cultures could make their way to the civilized world if the conditions are right to do so.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Frank Miller interview with NPR
September 12, 2009 07:37AM
If you're interested in operation Ajax I really recommend the book "All the Shah's Men."

Be very careful when you call a culture "barbarian" btw.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

President Eisenhower
Re: Frank Miller interview with NPR
September 12, 2009 07:52AM
Myce, if there'll ever be a serious contender to Islamic fundamentalism I think it's going to come from Iran. Their system is reasonably democratic and open to reforms, apart from the recent electoral fraud. I think their Upper House is only filled with unelected Shi'a clerics, but I guess whether that's much worse than the British system (where the Upper House is full of unelected aristocrats) is up for debate.

BTW, you might like these: [www.youtube.com]

Also: [www.reddit.com]


“Forget the war between the sexes. If being equal means we have fight and have the 50% chance of divorce for every marriage we have, forget it. Let's respect each other for what we are and try to get along with more respect. "Equality" might be an illusory goal, since we've each got different equipment, inside and out, but respect and compassion are eternal.” — Barack Obama



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2009 08:07AM by Juergen.
Re: Frank Miller interview with NPR
September 12, 2009 08:14AM
Kairos, I know of the book but actually, I am more interested in having that fact on hand for the next time my conservative friend at work (with whom I often enjoy sessions of recreational arguing over lunch) brings up the topic of Iran.

Be very careful when you call a culture "barbarian" btw.

Why? Stoning girls to death while law enforcement looks the other way is barbaric. Notice I acknowledged the US role in cultivating barbarism, I put it in quotes and I noted that if they could get their democracies and their economies to work right then maybe they could stop being barbaric. And vice versa.

Juergen, possibly. I see it as hopeful that some demonstrators were pleading to Obama to help them, although I'm afraid there isn't much we can do to intervene as much as we might want to. Will check your links now.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Frank Miller interview with NPR
September 12, 2009 08:45AM
Myce if you ever want to hammer your conservative friend on the topic of Iran that book will keep you well armed.

<Be very careful when you call a culture "barbarian" btw.>

Quote

Why? Stoning girls to death while law enforcement looks the other way is barbaric. Notice I acknowledged the US role in cultivating barbarism, I put it in quotes and I noted that if they could get their democracies and their economies to work right then maybe they could stop being barbaric. And vice versa.

Because you can't define an entire civilization based on its laws. I've noticed a pattern that when one civilization gets self righteous and wants to expand they call another civilization barbarian and they pick out one small part of it to justify the ends. IE the British labelled India barbarian, because of the burning of the widows (only about 500 a year mostly voluntary). Then they took over and mismanaged India causing starvations of several million dead.

The Romans called everyone barbarian from the Celts to the North Africans using child sacrifice as a means of propaganda to justify expansion. Nevermind the Romans had no qualms about feeding people to the lions.

Look at Afghanistan Bush pretends hes a feminist (the bastard does have a twisted sense of humour) then he tortures, maims and fills mass graves. There are actually loads of people using this stuff to justify the US invasion of a sovereign nation. Let's get real here how is this any different than what the Romans were doing 2000 years ago?

Anyway let's put it this way if you're going to call some civilizations barbarian. Why don't you make a list of "civilized countries" and "barbarian countries" along with the criteria. What makes a country, culture or civilization barbarian? Does torture? The Death Penalty? Draconian laws? Killing innocent people?

I don't mean to pick on you. This is just one topic that really gets me. I have an ongoing debate with a professor who calls anyone who wasn't greco-roman 2000 years ago "barbarians".

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

President Eisenhower



Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2009 09:00AM by Kairos.
Re: Frank Miller interview with NPR
September 12, 2009 08:57AM
Kairos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [...]
>
> The Romans called everyone barbarian from the
> Celts to the North Africans using child sacrifice
> as a means of propaganda to justify expansion.
> Nevermind the Romans had no qualms about feeding
> people to the lions.
>
> [...]
>
> I don't mean to pick on you. This is just one
> topic that really gets me. I have an ongoing
> debate with a professor who calls anyone who
> wasn't greco-roman 2000 years ago "barbarians".

lol, Kai, everyone who isn't Greco-Roman literally is a barbarian. That's what the word means: Non-Greek. Getting upset about that makes as much sense as getting upset when someone calls a non-Jew a gentile.


“Forget the war between the sexes. If being equal means we have fight and have the 50% chance of divorce for every marriage we have, forget it. Let's respect each other for what we are and try to get along with more respect. "Equality" might be an illusory goal, since we've each got different equipment, inside and out, but respect and compassion are eternal.” — Barack Obama
Re: Frank Miller interview with NPR
September 12, 2009 10:41AM
Yes Jeurg I'm well aware of the word origin. Which brings me to the obvious question. Why the hell are non-Greek people still using 2000 year old oudated ethnocentric Greek terms to refer to non-greeks like themselves?

Secondly if Barbarian simply means non-greek why did Myce single out fundamentalist Islamic people as barbarians when everyone who is not greek is a barbarian according to that definition?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

President Eisenhower



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2009 10:44AM by Kairos.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login


This forum powered by Phorum