Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.

The job of the Biden campaign is simple, and Trump is helping.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Women's suffrage was a mistake

Posted by Anonymous User 
Re: Women's suffrage was a mistake
July 14, 2009 04:07PM
"I was acting like a real man and looking out for my fellow forum-goers." -George

LOL!!!

Like you are with threads like "How to make cocaine"?

LOL!!!

You madcap, wisecracking quipster! grinning smiley

Anonymous User
July 14, 2009 08:21PM
If you're such a man, G, why don't you have the balls to tell us what obligations you'll have imposed on you when gay marriage is legalized?

Make whatever snarky comments you want. You can't erase the fact that you are STILL evading your own question.
Anonymous User
July 15, 2009 01:14AM
George you have noted that I make an effort to understand different points of view. I took that as a compliment thank you. My original post was mostly mockery, obviously, but you are correct that it contains grains of truth even if you are just being funny. But you indicated that you are not so certain, is that right? Not so certain, of what? Does it make you uncomfortable that I pointed out parallels between opposition to women's rights and gay marriage? Or that there was more to the opposition to women's rights than the underestimation of our capabilities? Back in the day even some women opposed women's suffrage. But contrary to your suggestion, I do not fear that opponents of women's rights may be correct. I am very confident that the arguments in favor of women's rights are much stronger than the arguments against.

I think the curse of Eden, including patriarchy (but not necessarily oppression), was a sociobiological inevitability. Modern people have overcome much of the pain of the curse through technological and cultural evolution: we have air conditioned tractors and egalitarianism. (Most) men in the developed world are no longer compelled to live short hard lives of labor, and (most) women are no longer held hostage by their innate vulnerabilities. This is a good thing George. If you ever doubt that... you know we have some issues with our technologies and the pollution/destruction they cause. That is a problem with the design of the technology not with the technology itself; it means we need better tractors, not to get rid of the tractors altogether. Same thing with women's rights, if you perceive a problem with it then we need to go forward to solve the problem not backward.

Welfare is a double-edged sword, and it is a complex issue that I have not studied thoroughly. It is too simple to point to welfare as the cause of social problems, as it has done a lot to help people. But on the other hand it is naive to claim that it doesn't trap people into a lifestyle of learned helplessness and/or irresponsibility. As for the disintegration of family values, I don't know- it's another complex issue. I think conservatives tend to exaggerate the problems while liberals tend to downplay them too much.
Anonymous User
July 15, 2009 04:41PM
myce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> George you have noted that I make an effort to
> understand different points of view. I took that
> as a compliment thank you. My original post was
> mostly mockery, obviously, but you are correct
> that it contains grains of truth even if you are
> just being funny. But you indicated that you are
> not so certain, is that right? Not so certain, of
> what?

The welfare rant.

> Does it make you uncomfortable that I
> pointed out parallels between opposition to
> women's rights and gay marriage?

No. It doesn't follow that I'd think one expansion of rights is good because I think another is.
Anonymous User
July 15, 2009 06:01PM
When Negroes were enslaved by southern plantation owners, their family units were more cohesive. -- pt

It is a myth--and a racist one at that--that only negroes have ever been slaves.
July 15, 2009 06:09PM
Okay. So who made that claim?
July 15, 2009 06:11PM
AH, your absolute mastery of obfuscating and ignoring a point is really something to behold. It truly is.

Anonymous User
July 15, 2009 07:50PM
George I would ask you to elaborate but this board is already piled up to its ears in homohedonarcissism and it's making me a little queasy. So never mind. I'll ask another time.

Speaking of slavery, that was a nonsensical statement from PT. Slave owners didn't care about slave families and broke them up for sale whenever they felt like it.

On Pb's point, nobody has suggested that only Blacks were slaves, but I see where that came from. In school I took an African history class to fill a "multicultural" requirement. Unfortunately, I kind of blew it off because it was just a general requirement and I must have mistook it for a social-science class. I should have known better- history isn't so easy. I barely passed. That's beside the point though. The class was about 90% black students and the professor was black too but he was not American and wasn't pc brainwashed like some of the professors I encountered. (Fortunately you don't get too much of that in the science department where I lived. But I had a botany professor tell a heart-wrenching story about how humans cruelly rip an onion from the ground and steal its food because we are species-ist.) I remember a discussion of slavery and the teacher was talking about some time and place where white women were prized as sex slaves. Some students acted like they were surprised, like they had never heard of anyone but their own ancestors being enslaved let alone whites. One guy asked a question- he wanted to be assured that his ancestors in the cotton fields had suffered worse. The teacher agreed that picking cotton is more unpleasant than living as a domestic slave or concubine.
July 15, 2009 07:52PM
I think it was meant to be satirically nonsensical, myce.

July 15, 2009 09:35PM
Speaking of slavery, that was a nonsensical statement from PT. Slave owners didn't care about slave families and broke them up for sale whenever they felt like it. - myce

Sure, that happened, too. But it's nonsensiscal to claim that that always happened. My statement was not absolute, but rather a general commentary.
Anonymous User
July 15, 2009 09:48PM
Okay. So who made that claim? -- pt

Here's what you said, pt:

When Negroes were enslaved by southern plantation owners, their family units were more cohesive. You didn't have Black dads losing their jobs, becoming hopeless drunks or leaving their families, because the slave owners wouldn't allow that to happen to their investments. The southern American economy was booming and everything was generally hunky dory in the south (and also in the north) when Negroes knew their place in White society and were kept there by law, not to mention whips.

No matter how you take it, there are numerous layer of racism packed in those sentences--and more than a little historical misinformation.
Anonymous User
July 15, 2009 10:06PM
I think it was meant to be satirically nonsensical,

yes, and

No matter how you take it, there are numerous layer of racism packed in those sentences--and more than a little historical misinformation

yes.
July 15, 2009 11:35PM
No matter how you take it, there are numerous layer of racism packed in those sentences--and more than a little historical misinformation. - asshole

The alleged racism was unintentional, and the piece was intended more for satire than for historical accuracy.

Your complaint was It is a myth--and a racist one at that--that only negroes have ever been slaves.

I maintain that nowhere in my piece did I suggest that only negroes have ever been slaves.

This is just more of your obfuscation and mischaracterization that you seem to be addicted to, and again, the main reason that I stopped associating with you. You just won't stop.

"When they say there’s not enough money, they mean there’s not enough money for YOU." - Jill Stein, Green Party presidential nominee.
July 15, 2009 11:39PM
He's a master at it I tells ya. A Jedi-level master.

July 15, 2009 11:47PM
I disagree hun. If he were a master, he would be able to get away with it. You're confusing genius with audacity.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!