Forum Index            

Cookies Consent Information
SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Join to post comments.

Is your name welcomed below? Then you are invited to post here: Politics Philosophy Diversions

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ESCAPE 666 - BIBLE PROPHECY REVEALED

Posted by BeSetFree 
Re: ESCAPE 666 - BIBLE PROPHECY REVEALED
December 12, 2007 01:18AM
I've heard you quote that before, and it strikes me as a strange thing to hear from you. Weren't you just trying to convince me of another Genesis interpretation in the other thread?”---Georgeous

What I was doing on the other thread was trying to compare interpretations yours/mine to see which more closely conformed to reality. It wasn’t a representation of my feelings about religion.

Theological explanations and interpretations evolve over time, even the so called “unchanging teachings of the Catholic Church” evolve (change), however they don’t call them changes…they simply say they have a better or more complete understanding.

For instance, their theological opinion on the doctrine of Original Sin is not the same as it was in Augustine’s time:

"Theology refers to this state of affairs by the certainly misleading and imprecise term ‘original sin’. What does this mean? Nothing seems to us today to be stranger or, indeed, more absurd than to insist upon original sin, since, according to our way of thinking, guilt can only be something very personal, and since God does not run a concentration camp, in which one’s relative are imprisoned because he is a liberating God of love, who calls each one by name. "---Pope Benedict XVI (A Catholic Understanding of the Story of Creation and the Fall ---William B. Erdmans Publishing Co., 1995)

The Pope has written, "the Christian message [is] not only 'informative' but 'performative'," meaning that even though theology can't inform about God, it can perform in bringing a person towards God.”---Georgeous

As stated that’s too vague a statement for me. It’s one of those claims that sound impressive until you start to think about it. I don’t think it can be demonstrated to be true or false. How do we know if there is a God and/or if the information we have been taught about Him is true or false ("theology can't inform about God"winking smiley, and if we say something about God, what does it mean? What do theologians try to inform us of, if not that? If we don’t know any of that…how can we say theology brings a person toward God?
December 12, 2007 01:21AM
Religion is not necessary for good people to do good things. Sainthood is bestowed upon people by people and it has much more to do with how they've chosen to dedicate their lives to other PEOPLE, rather than their dedication to god”---Sam

Do you remember about a year or so ago, Sam, when I told you that I thought you were a Christian?---Scrunching up, holding my hard hat securely on my head, and waiting for you to bean me once again with a baseball bat!---Well I still think you are!

What did Jesus say was the greatest commandment? ---Yer supposed to love God with your whole heart and soul…and…love yer neighbor as yourself…and here comes the important part…he said one’s the same as the other!

Soooo…even though you are an atheist, if you love your neighbor, you ARE living the most important teaching…and, nah nah na nah nah---you’re loving God the way your supposed to! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2007 02:25PM by islander.
December 12, 2007 01:57AM
Georgie boy is that it? A cheap shot at my poor grammer and spelling and a couple of photos as a retort. Wow.

Isn't it ironic that most of those guys you list were shot because of their views by religious maniacs?

BTW buddhism isn't a religion per se.

"The most heinous and the most cruel crimes of which history has record have been committed under the cover of religion or equally noble motives."
Mohandas Gandhi
December 12, 2007 12:12PM
islander Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As stated that’s too vague a statement for me.
> It’s one of those claims that sound impressive
> until you start to think about it. I don’t think
> it can be demonstrated to be true or false. How do
> we know if there is a God and/or if the
> information we have been taught about Him is true
> or false ("theology can't inform about God"winking smiley, and
> if we say something about God, what does it mean?
> What do theologians try to inform us of, if not
> that? If we don’t know any of that…how can we say
> theology brings a person toward God?

Know a theology's teachings are true by their results? I'm not sure I know what you mean.

--
Georgeous

December 12, 2007 12:14PM
facinatedforeigner Wrote:
> "The most heinous and the most cruel crimes of
> which history has record have been committed under
> the cover of religion or equally noble motives."
> Mohandas Gandhi

You contradict your previous statements by quoting that religion is a noble motive.

--
Georgeous

December 12, 2007 04:03PM
"Know a theology's teachings are true by their results? I'm not sure I know what you mean."---Georgeous

Lets look at Augustine's theological opinion regarding original sin and baptism: Due to original sin, infants who die unbaptized go to hell.

Since, according to your quote, theology doesn't really inform us about anything [with regard to God], without appealing to some other theological opinions, which, ultimately inform us of nothing...how can it be said, regarding Augustine's theology, that "even though theology can't inform about God, it can perform in bringing a person towards God"?

Just out of curiosity, assuming there is a God, do you really think a baby's eternal fate (or anyones) can be determined by whether or not a certain ritual was performed? I don't know how many people actually believe that today...but no small number did in the past. Do ya really think that a mother's anguish over the eternal suffering of her unbaptized infant draws her, or anyone else, towards God?

Can you see why I don't think the orginall quote really says much of anything?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2007 04:06PM by islander.
Sam
December 12, 2007 04:40PM
Isle, This ones for you. Yeah, it's me and god sending our festivus cheer to one and all...Enjoy! [www.elfyourself.com]

Have a merry elfin' xmas (www.elfyourself.com) or just go scrooge yerself! (www.scroogeyourself.com)
December 13, 2007 12:07AM
Sam,

GOOD ONES! :-)

"Merry Christmas to you and god!"
December 13, 2007 12:04PM
islander Wrote:
> Since, according to your quote, theology doesn't
> really inform us about anything , without
> appealing to some other theological opinions,
> which, ultimately inform us of nothing...how can
> it be said, regarding Augustine's theology, that
> "even though theology can't inform about God, it
> can perform in bringing a person towards God"?

I didn't say theology doesn't teach us anything, but that it can't by informing us ever bring us to know God, because "No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him."

> Just out of curiosity, assuming there is a God, do
> you really think a baby's eternal fate (or
> anyones) can be determined by whether or not a
> certain ritual was performed?

No. You're confusing a "christening" ritual with baptism.

--
Georgeous

> Religion is not necessary for good people to do good things

Religion is need to improve our lifes. But we need non christian religion but right religion!

That speaks AntiChrist, who was born to be free! Who was born under sign 666 !!!

[my666.boom.ru]
December 17, 2007 02:08AM
I didn't say theology doesn't teach us anything”---Georgeous

Nor did I … I was responding to your position that, “theology can't inform about God”.

Can you address the questions I asked regarding this? “How do we know if there is a God and/or if the information we have been taught about Him is true or false ("theology can't inform about God"winking smiley, and, if we say something about God, what does it mean? What do theologians try to inform us of, if not that? If we don’t know any of that…how can we say theology brings a person toward God?”

No. You're confusing a "christening" ritual with baptism.

No, I’m not. For most of the largest and oldest mainline Christian churches, Baptism is a sacrament, and what we’re discussing is infant baptism, specifically, how the theological information, that God will not allow an un-baptized infant (one who has not received that sacrament) into heaven, can bring a person closer to God?

Granted, most of the modern theological opinions on this have qualified baptism to the point that it’s meaning now makes it possible for even non-Christians and un-baptized infants and/or adults to enter heaven…But the point remains, how do theological speculations bring us closer to God if they can’t inform us about God? To say they can’t inform about God, but bring us toward God, is a vague and somewhat meaningless statement.
December 17, 2007 02:56AM
islander Wrote:
> No, I’m not. For most of the largest and oldest
> mainline Christian churches, Baptism is a
> sacrament, and what we’re discussing is infant
> baptism, specifically, how the theological
> information, that God will not allow an
> un-baptized infant (one who has not received that
> sacrament) into heaven, can bring a person closer
> to God?

I'm telling you what I know, and I know that the baptism ritual isn't the true baptism. A lot of people went off track with their understanding of these things, and instead of receiving the truth they went back to having a prefiguration of the truth (like the pagans had in their own religion.)

> Granted, most of the modern theological opinions
> on this have qualified baptism to the point that
> it’s meaning now makes it possible for even
> non-Christians and un-baptized infants and/or
> adults to enter heaven…

They build even more complex doctrines instead of going back to the real message lost.

> But the point remains, how
> do theological speculations bring us closer to God
> if they can’t inform us about God? To say they
> can’t inform about God, but bring us toward God,
> is a vague and somewhat meaningless statement.

They do inform us about God, but being informed about God is different from knowing God. They do, however, bring a person to know God, in that they have a performative (as well as informative) value.

--
Georgeous

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2007 02:58AM by Georgeous.
December 17, 2007 04:21PM
I'm telling you what I know[believe], and I know[believe] that the baptism ritual isn't the true baptism.”---Georgeous

But there are huge numbers of Christians whose knowledge (beliefs) with regard to baptism (and many other things) differ from yours, and yet I have to say that I’ve met few devoute Christians who did not firmly believe that their religious doctrine/dogmas, etc, no matter how contradictory and different from other Christians, are ultimately derived from the same source. That source being “Scripture”. Seems to me to be to be a rather of sad and messy state of affairs.

They build even more complex doctrines instead of going back to the real message lost.---Georgeous

Ok, so you’re telling me that theologians build more complex doctrines, instead of going back to the “real message lost”. Am I correct, then, in assuming that if the theologians were to ask, since you know the real message lost, you’d be able to explain to them which of their doctrines are false and should be discarded, and which ones they can keep?

Since both you and the theologians claim Scripture as the authority and the base from which religious claims are made…are your theological descriptions and opinions any more authoritative than theirs?

They do inform us about God”---Georgeous

But that’s the very opposite of what you claimed earlier---“ theology can't inform about God
December 18, 2007 02:42AM
islander Wrote:
> But that’s the very opposite of what you claimed
> earlier---“ theology can't inform about God”

It probably would have been better to say "By informing, theology can't create knowledge God".

--
Georgeous

December 18, 2007 08:50PM
Do you know God, Georgeous?
December 18, 2007 11:47PM
No, he knows "theology", an eleaborate game of one-upmanship, and this is his god.
December 19, 2007 01:30AM
islander Wrote:
> Do you know God, Georgeous?

I'll let Linc answer, since he seems to know.

--
Georgeous

March 16, 2017 06:55PM
Please open this link and read it carefully right through it will teach the errors of site.

[escape666bibleprophecyrevelead.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 06:59PM by challengingwebsite.
March 16, 2017 08:42PM
"IS HELL FOREVER? THE MYTH OF GOD AS A SADISTIC PUPPETEER"

No, eventually we die & leave this forsaken place.
That's what hell is. earth, that's the actual translation!

If I close my eyes forever...
Will it all remain unchanged?
If I close my eyes forever...
Will it all remain the same?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

The best cities to meet opposite sex singles

Your 24 easiest weight loss diet options

Y'all should use this tool to identify any dialect.

Your best college value isn't where you'd guess

Secret to taking quality photos is this camera

Running shoes that won't cripple you or your wallet

16 dog breeds that won't kill your toddler

High earning jobs for low energy people

Which of over 100 cars & trucks is best for you?

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!