Forum Index            

Cookies Consent Information
SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Join to post comments.

Is your name welcomed below? Then you are invited to post here: Politics Philosophy Diversions

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I still have WOW moments.

I still have WOW moments.
October 25, 2016 05:10PM
Howdy mates?

Hope your enjoying the election years as much as I have.

Now I had to tell you about my recent WOW moment.

First the preamble.

If you're not a student of palaeoanthropology you're not a true level 6 atheist.

That discipline is  an atheist's bread and butter. The discipline is dynamic. So you're always a student even if you have a PHD on the subject.

Now the missing link @#$%& is beyond dispute.

@#$%& they recently found the link between Australopithecus and Homo erectus. It was the find of the century. But JFGI if you want more info on that.

Ok Homo Hablis maybe developed tools as far as we know... in circa 2000000.  But that's an exaggeration of course because a plethora of animals use tools.

So let me reintegrated.. We developed complex tools And from there in 2 millions years we  went from an apple size brain to a melon size brain in an evolutionary blink of an eye.

Now this @#$%& always @#$%& me up as a youth. How can you explain that rapid progression of the brain and still call it natural selection.

It took me a while of studying. But the masters always come up with an answer I can totally believe i.e. that got a shitload of evidence and a great hypothesis.

Climate change, diet change and sexual selection.

Let me start with sexual selection. This( and I may be biased in stating this) is the strongest force of life. Noobs and experts know the cliché' examples but they are none the less accurate. The lions mane, the peacock feathers the giraffe's neck the human breast and human penis... all products of sexual selection, a force that can change the makeup of a species,  in evolutionary terms, overnight. Suffice to mention that  without sex none of us would  in the here and now ( except  maybe for  some of you millennial. It's a Brave New World) 

And that  is one of  factors that gave us our big brains.

Ok...Once upon a time there was a mutation and like most mutation it was benign . It had no purpose until then the world changed. The mutation, a slight growth of the  cortex and you could  think in abstracts...thrived .It was like eating from the tree of knowledge and Eden fell but it still helped the proto humans survive.

You're able to consciously manipulate nature. You adapt to the changing environment when all around you perish.

Imagine yourself in that position. You survive because you make better tools or develop ways to hunt effectively.You can feed the troop in the harshest of times. You're essential to their survival.

Brains over Brawn. Power  over  life and death..

And what happens next? 

With true power comes lots of p.....

Progeny ( that's for the Trump fans) 

And if you have ten that survive,  there's bound to be a couple with your brains. And so on and so on for generations.

Add to that lots more protein because of your innovations and BANG! Mutant brains and the fuel to grow them.

So  we get what Stephen Jay Gould called Punctuated Equilibrium.

The brain grow exponentially on a feedback loop.

This @#$%& is paleo-anthropology 101.

The Wow moment for me today   have everything to do with what  I've written.

I know if  I d kept being the student,  this doco wouldn't have Wow'ed me so much. But picture this. There's evidence that there was a great ice age over 100,000 year ago and genetic evidence backs up the theory that humans were as endangered as mountain gorillas Bengal tigers and white rhinos, during that time because of this climate change. There was between 1000 - 500 of us left. Man I thought Tabu eruption was bad but they have evidence that  during that period the Sahara desert double in size.

Decimating the Cradle of Humanity.

So what do the clever chimps do.

We go to the shore.

This doco showed with evidence dug up in Eastern Africa that we  became truly human at the shore.

Again because  climate change, change of diet and.... Art.

Here a quiz folks. What does almost every culture consider brain food?

All together now! SEAFOOD! EFAs you mussel @#$%&!

EFA's altered our brains. Now folks I was in the natural products industry for over a decade and the best peer reviewed evidence for natural products was for  omega 3 6 and 9 it's impact on brain development and brain health is almost unquetionable. Yet this was still a wow moment for me. I was kicking myself for  not connecting the dots.

The doco showed evidence of a technological revolution .. hell a human paradigm shift. Hooks,, needles projectile weapons and cave art. Symbolism and language. At the shores of East Africa.

The zinger for me that the doco reminded me of was the fact that we are natural water monkeys. We have ancient cultures that still exist where individiuals can hold there breath for 5 mins underwater at 25 metre depth. And scientific evidence  shows that anyone human can do the same with practice. Have you seen the footage of those crazy mothers chucking their six month old babies in the pool and the babies swimming under water like its second nature.

Or those competition divers ( I love the Big Blue) holding there breath for 10 or more minutes.

That is an evolutionary trait.

So that was my Wow moment. Seafood and the Shore that is what humanity is made of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2016 06:08PM by Fascinated_foreigner.
Re: I still have WOW moments.
April 17, 2017 01:20PM
Thank you for sharing it here. There are things here that I didn't think some time as of late. Because of cool such a position, to the point that is to a great degree carefully taken, we will talk a huge amount of colleagues about it.

website
April 17, 2017 09:13PM
"The zinger for me that the doco reminded me of was the fact that we are natural water monkeys. We have ancient cultures that still exist where individiuals can hold there breath for 5 mins underwater at 25 metre depth. And scientific evidence shows that anyone human can do the same with practice. Have you seen the footage of those crazy mothers chucking their six month old babies in the pool and the babies swimming under water like its second nature."

I haven't seen that stuff, but I've heard of people holding their breath a while.
So much for the 3 minutes till death theory, but I'd be lucky to get to 3 minutes, lol.

Let me get this straight, this scene is illegal in 300 cities?
April 30, 2017 03:28AM
How come no other species have come close to homo sapiens in our intellectual advancement? There's a HUGE gap between humans and all other species.
May 01, 2017 08:32PM
Hornswoggle
How come no other species have come close to homo sapiens in our intellectual advancement? There's a HUGE gap between humans and all other species.

So true & strange.
I guess we're lucky though, or it could be like The Planet Of The Apes.

But in some ways other species are being proved to be like us in many ways.
The have social habits, tool making, & great strides od compassion.

May 02, 2017 05:22PM
Perhaps we had some outside help.
May 02, 2017 09:16PM
I do believe in the ancient alien/astronaut theory.

May 03, 2017 01:47AM
I do too, angel. I also think it's possible that they might be getting ready for another update.

Much of what's reported on the series "Ancient Aliens" is incorrect, though.
May 03, 2017 09:04PM
Well, no one can be 100% right.

Like I think Erich Von Daniken is great, but better about asking
questions that giving answers, lol. And it looks like his theory
about Atlantis being Peru (South America) is wrong, cause
they found an area in the Mediterranean that matches Plato's
description of the fabled island.

If we do get an update, will it be a good one or a bad one?
There are supposedly both kinds of aliens.

Yet some the theories are hair brained. The say the tall ones are good
& the grey are bad, but they also say the grey work for the tall ones.

May 05, 2017 07:44PM
Perhaps the greys are AI. A civilization that's thousands or tens-of-thousands (or more) more scientifically advanced than our own would certainly have AI.
May 05, 2017 11:48PM
Live long & prosper.
May 17, 2017 06:48PM
Hornswoggle
Perhaps the greys are AI. A civilization that's thousands or tens-of-thousands (or more) more scientifically advanced than our own would certainly have AI.

Maybe they decided it was not a smart move (forgive the pun).
May 18, 2017 10:17PM
Live fast, die never!
May 21, 2017 06:38PM
Thanks for sharing! Great story.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

The best cities to meet opposite sex singles

Your 24 easiest weight loss diet options

Y'all should use this tool to identify any dialect.

Your best college value isn't where you'd guess

Secret to taking quality photos is this camera

Running shoes that won't cripple you or your wallet

16 dog breeds that won't kill your toddler

High earning jobs for low energy people

Which of over 100 cars & trucks is best for you?

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!