Forum Index            

Cookies Consent Information
SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Join to post comments.

Is your name welcomed below? Then you are invited to post here: Politics Philosophy Diversions

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Has anyone seen the film The Devils?

Posted by Kairos 
Has anyone seen the film The Devils?
April 25, 2016 10:30AM
Just saw it yesterday.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!
Re: Has anyone seen the film The Devils?
April 27, 2016 05:30AM
Ken Russell's movie? Yep - awesome. The nuns all dying to be possessed was hilarious.
April 27, 2016 05:50AM
Yeah. I wasn't quite sure if I liked it at first, but then the day after I thought that the film was really awesome.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 27, 2016 07:15AM
Yeah, he made a lot of films that were cool if not totally awesome. I like that he played outside of the rules and didn't seem to be as concerned with making money as most directors. The 70s was the perfect era for him because it was before blockbusters became the standard. IMHO, Altered States fell flat because he tried to play the game and it took the edge off. If they told him just cut a two hour film on some dude tripping his ass off in an isolation tank it would have made a better movie - but only people like you and me would have paid to see it. But who else could make Tommy? Nobody.
April 28, 2016 12:12AM
Yeah agreed 100% Altered States was a real let down for exactly those reasons.

He made the same mistake the guy made in Dark City imo which was to turn a great idea in the end into a typical hollywood marvel comic. Proyas was literally told by the Hollywood directors to 'dumb it down.'

Much better movie of that genre have you seen From Beyond?

Still haven't seen Tommy.

April 28, 2016 06:56PM
Saw it. Everybody I knew went to check it out because Re-Animator was huge and that was basically the follow-up by the same group - Stuart Gordon, Jeffrey Combs, etc...

If you like the Who - you have to check out Tommy. Like all Russell's films it has some problems, but it's also well worth the two hours or so if you're into the stuff the Who was making in their prime.
April 28, 2016 10:42PM
Not a Who fan. Even had the opportunity to see them in London the day after Pink Floyd, but didn't bother.

April 29, 2016 06:39PM
I'm not big on them either - but the film is still enjoyable. Saw them twice back in the day - they were good until they got super old and cranky.
April 30, 2016 07:09AM
Yeah apparently one of the old Who guys was whining about Michael Moore when he made Fahrenheit 9/11.

April 30, 2016 09:53PM
Really?
May 01, 2016 07:07AM
"However, Townshend refused permission for director Michael Moore to play the song over the closing credits of Fahrenheit 9/11, as he was suspicious of Moore's journalistic credentials and did not want his work to be associated with a possibly inaccurate film. Townshend later said "[o]nce I had an idea what the film was about, I was 90% certain my song was not right for them."

[en.wikipedia.org]

May 03, 2016 09:24PM
Yeah, that about covers it for the Who - they tend to believe their own press. Like the Stones and other dinosaur bands, they had about a 5-year period where they were making some pretty good music. The problem is they stuck around for 50 years living off those 5. smiling smiley
November 13, 2016 04:55PM
". I think, it could be related to the world's situation these days. The violence around."

Indeed definitely still relevant like the film Caligula in this regards.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

The best cities to meet opposite sex singles

Your 24 easiest weight loss diet options

Y'all should use this tool to identify any dialect.

Your best college value isn't where you'd guess

Secret to taking quality photos is this camera

Running shoes that won't cripple you or your wallet

16 dog breeds that won't kill your toddler

High earning jobs for low energy people

Which of over 100 cars & trucks is best for you?

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!