Forum Index            

Cookies Consent Information
SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Join to post comments.

Is your name welcomed below? Then you are invited to post here: Politics Philosophy Diversions

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Professor suspended after saying Christians, Muslims have same make-believe God

Posted by Curt Anderson 
Professor suspended after saying Christians, Muslims have same make-believe God
December 17, 2015 04:43AM

CHICAGO — Wheaton College has suspended a political science professor who said her fellow Christians and Muslims worship the same God.

The prominent Christian college's decision, which sparked protest on campus on Wednesday, came days after Larycia Hawkins, a tenured professor, received attention in Christian media outlets after announcing she would wear a traditional headscarf known as a hijab through the Christian Advent season. Wearing the hijab is part of her personal effort to show solidarity with Muslims, who have faced backlash in the aftermath of recent mass shootings in San Bernardino, Calif. and Paris. More: [www.usatoday.com]

Mattress Selector
How to select the right mattress for you.
Re: Professor suspended after saying Christians, Muslims have same make-believe God
January 04, 2016 02:36AM
Actually he was fired for saying that Christians and Muslims worship the same God, not for saying that they had the same make-believe God. Not sure why you felt the need to add the words "make-believe". After all, you capitalized God.
Re: Professor suspended after saying Christians, Muslims have same make-believe God
January 04, 2016 09:33AM
Why did you say "he" was fired? I capitalized god out of habit.

Mattress Selector
How to select the right mattress for you.
January 05, 2016 06:00AM
Hornswoggle
Actually he was fired for saying that Christians and Muslims worship the same God, not for saying that they had the same make-believe God. Not sure why you felt the need to add the words "make-believe". After all, you capitalized God.

What? So just because someone capitalizes the name of a fictional character, like say Superman, you take this as evidence that that person actually believes in the physical existence of said fictional character? But why?
January 07, 2016 06:41PM
Many atheists including Sam, who used to post here, object to capitalizing "god". I was just going with what I thought was proper atheist protocol.

Btw, I said "he" was fired because I made a mistake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2016 06:44PM by Hornswoggle.
January 07, 2016 06:52PM
So just because someone capitalizes the name of a fictional character, like say Superman, you take this as evidence that that person actually believes in the physical existence of said fictional character? But why? - Dick

Of course I didn't say that. You have some kind of pathological addiction to putting words in others' mouths.
January 10, 2016 12:13AM
Then what did you mean when you said: "Not sure why you felt the need to add the words "make-believe". After all, you capitalized God."

Do you mean to say that when the word "God" is capitalized you believe the word always refers to a make-believe being thus rendering the phrase "make-believe God" redundant?

Unfortunately, you do not write nearly as clearly as you probably imagine you do.
January 11, 2016 06:05AM
Superman is a proper noun (and ergo capitalized) whether it be the fictional character, the TV show, the movies, etc... Otherwise it would be "super man" (adjective and garden variety noun). Same with "god"... "God" refers to the "one supreme being / creator" model only (look it up in the dictionary if you like). The god of the Bible is named Jehovah (proper noun). In the Koran it is Allah - again - proper noun. They use "God" (and He and Him) to reference only ONE (alleged) entity (the "one true god"winking smiley. So - unless you are referencing that particular idea (as in the story above) for clarification purposes - the proper term is "god" (just as if you were referencing some anonymous "super man" but not Superman). You (Dick) use "God" for every reference to a supreme being of any sort (non-religion specific, iow) - which suggests that YES you believe that is the only option available - "God". If there is only one option available - then obviously you are a believer in that idea... one god (call it whatever you like... Allah, Jehovah, Bob, etc..). The only other option is mistakenly using the term out of habit like Curt.
January 12, 2016 02:56AM
Then, once again, IYO what was it that pttp intended to say when she wrote, "Not sure why you felt the need to add the words 'make-believe'. After all, you capitalized God"?

I'm genuinely curious about this.
January 12, 2016 04:44AM
I can't speak for anyone else (obviously), but I'm guessing you're like Curt - using it out of force of habit. Not so bad - the other reference is the really stupid one and I find myself accidentally using it once in awhile thru habit (although not capitalized)... "he" or "him". That is absolutely the dumbest way to reference a god, imho - like it would need genitalia for something.
January 13, 2016 11:22AM
I'm not asking you to speak for anyone else. I was only asking if you understood what pttp meant when she wrote the sentences "Not sure why you felt the need to add the words 'make-believe'. After all, you capitalized God" since she obviously believed that the meaning of what she wrote was crystal clear. Since you, too, apparently aren't sure what she meant by those two sentences, I suppose her meaning was a bit more confused than she believed it to be.
Actually they worship the same metaphor. Think of it they have been slaughtering one another for centuries because of a metaphor. The word God is in itself a metaphor and represents the unknowable. Those who think they know don't Those who don't know do.
January 18, 2016 04:36AM
I do not even see where Hornsy - not "pttp" - said that Dick. If you want me to comment on it - at least link us to the post.
March 03, 2017 09:00PM
1-Superman is not a name, thus it doesn't need to be in caps.

2-Islam & Christianity do no have the same god*. This is false belief. Muslims actually worship Satan (name so caps),
but many don't know it. The angel who came to Mohamed had to be one of the fallen (if you believe that stuff).

3-It is not the same metaphor either. The philosophes of how to live & get to the after life are very different.

4-This prof. obviously has not read the Quaran, or is choosing to be polite to all (which I usually advocate - but not here,
and not with lies).

*Note: god is lower case, as I refer to a type of being, not a name.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

The best cities to meet opposite sex singles

Your 24 easiest weight loss diet options

Y'all should use this tool to identify any dialect.

Your best college value isn't where you'd guess

Secret to taking quality photos is this camera

Running shoes that won't cripple you or your wallet

16 dog breeds that won't kill your toddler

High earning jobs for low energy people

Which of over 100 cars & trucks is best for you?

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!