Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Boy was this ever prescient...

Posted by Ponderer 
Boy was this ever prescient...
August 06, 2015 07:12AM
Re: Boy was this ever prescient...
August 06, 2015 07:49AM
Hmm. Says that I need Windows Media Player. Synopsis?
August 06, 2015 08:04AM
There was a pseudo-movement in the 1980s for people to not watch television. One of my "acquaintances" would bring it up every time I saw him - he was super proud and annoying about the fact that he "didn't even OWN a television anymore!" The guy didn't have any interesting hobbies or anything to fill that space left by his TV so he became incredibly dull and trying to be around.

If you like people who talk about leaving and don't - come to Florida. Holy cow. Half the people are transplants and half of those people do nothing except talk about how they can't wait to get out of here. Navy is like that in real life I bet - he brought it up on the board one time. My next door neighbor thinks everything is better in NY (the most annoying transplants, btw) and all he does is make ridiculous comparisons like the other day when he said Florida people don't take care of their elderly parents like NYers do. Anyway, my whole life I've listened to people say "this place is so much better than Florida" or "that place is better" - finally I decided everytime someone says that - I'm calling them on it. So I do - I say "if you don't want to be here - why don't you just leave?" And the answer is always the same "I can't just leave"... "Sure you can - why not? This is your life. If you don't like it here - get out now and enjoy your life somewhere else!" They always get flustered and don't know how to answer - just like Navy did when he said he really wanted to be in Colorado. eye rolling smiley

How was that? Good? Or do you want to discuss the bigger picture about life being over and we're all just fooling ourselves?

Also - what movie was that?
August 06, 2015 09:22PM
You can't go even a few days without me, huh? grinning smiley

On a serious note, if you had anyone in your life that you cared about and that cared about you, you would realize that there are some things that take precedence over the temperature and humidity of the air when you walk outside the door.
August 06, 2015 09:48PM
Curt, I'll see if I can find another version of this video, but you might want to bite the bullet and download Media Player.

It's a scene from one of my favorite movies that no one else likes called My Dinner with Andre. I don't even think a transcript would do it justice.

Try this link...

August 06, 2015 09:54PM
I knew it looked familiar - couldn't remember the name. Back when I had my sports paper I once did an interview with former Miami Dolphins linebacker AJ Duhe and as an homage to the movie titled the piece "My Dinner with AJ". Nobody got it.

Navy - are you saying you don't care about me? sad smiley
August 06, 2015 09:59PM
Indy!, it's My Dinner with Andre (1981). You'd thoroughly hate it is my guess. Almost everybody else does. The whole movie is Wally Shawn and Andre Gregory talking over dinner. The whole movie. Action consists of the occasional food or drink delivery to the table and some bussing.

I have a bit of theater background and a lot of what they talk about is theater related, so I could relate to it quite a bit on that level, but the subjects they discuss, philosophically, are incredibly relevant to modern life and society in general and the way one chooses to approach life.

I need to watch it again. It's been a while. I picked up the DVD one day when I saw it in an impulse buy discount bin for $3.95 at a drug store a few years ago.

August 06, 2015 10:22PM
"Navy - are you saying you don't care about me?"

Of course I do, that's why I give you friendly advice all the time, like this:

"Get out of Florida, for once, and visit another part of the country or the world. Then you'll understand why Florida sucks."
August 07, 2015 04:37AM
Saw it back in the day, Pondy - when it hit cable. Didn't "hate it" - but it's not one I would revisit either. It was enjoyable for one watch. My problem with movies like that is since there is not much happening - it makes a bigger impression in written form... a novel.

======================

Navy - been all over the country (virtually every state east of the Mississippi and all the important states out west). Like most Floridians, I was not born here (although most of my family comes from the Florida or Georgia area). Bottom line - wrong again, bro.

Oh... and of course - you are allowed to leave Florida anytime you actually stop loving it. smoking smiley
August 08, 2015 04:36AM
You find where I said anything about my ability to leave Florida, you go ahead and post it, sporto. Excuse us if we don't hold our breath on that one. But more about that later.

Let me explain how this works to you, Indy. We all put up with less than perfect things in our life. A job, because we need the money. A college professor, because we need the credit. A relationship, because the pros outweigh the cons. Our family members, ditto. That's just part of life. This just ain't too hard to understand. You Indy, don't get it because you don't have anything of significance going on in your life. Take that grind of a job you have, sitting in your dank condo, playing with clip art all day. Puh-leeze. Now if you had a career that inspired you, that excited you, where you ran into new challenges, where you met new people

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

­­ HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

sorry ... got to the part about Indy meeting new people and just sorta lost it ...

Ok, where was I? Oh yeah. If you had that it your life, or some good relationships, etc etc ... you wouldn't need it explained to you ... again ... why some people stay in Florida, even though they don't like it.

Alright, so back to that quote where I said anything about my ability to leave Florida. You ready to post that for us, champ?

Go!
August 08, 2015 08:04PM
Yes, Navy - on this we agree. If you want to leave Florida, you might have to put on your big boy pants and make a decision. In fact, I said very similar words myself in the original post 2 years back...

Indy:
I always say the same thing... "Don't like it here? Go. You can move any time you want. Pennsylvania is waiting... What's stopping you?" Which is always met with a blank stare and a long pause. Then you get the stammering excuses... "I...I...I can't move because of my job." Or "My wife loves it here - I can't move." Or "My kids are still in school." Or "My friends and family are here!"... You have frends here? You can make new friends anywhere. You have family here? They can fly in on the holidays - gives them a chance to visit that great (winking smiley) place they used to live.

Hmmm... how close was that to what you just said? I'd say very. smoking smiley

While we're looking back - why waste an opportunity? Let's see if there's anything else interesting in this thread...

Navy:
What sucks for me about Florida is I like the outdoors, and I don't like heat and humidity. I've moved away twice and spent a few years in Colorado, and nearly every day I would go hiking and climbing, loving every minute of being outside. Just taking in a deep breath of cold, dry air in the mountains makes you feel more alive. Here in Florida, I spend most of my time indoors, cherishing the A/C. On the weekends, when I see the cars stacking up on the bridges to the barrier islands so people can spend a few hours on the blistering hot/humid beach ... I just don't get it. Not my thing.

Ahhhh... now we know why you continually accuse me of being "locked up in my condo all day" - because you are locked up inside your little apartment or duplex or whatever "dank" hole you reside in. That's what is known as a "Freudian slip", bro.

Oh and btw - why do people go to the beach? Because everyone is half naked and half drunk. It's called "having a good time" - you should try it one time. Might not be as much "fun" as being stuck on a freezing cold mountain wrapped in 3 layers of clothes shivering your ass off with your faithful hunting dog by your side and dreaming about moving back to Florida again where it's nice and toasty - but it's close, bro... it's close.

[www.selectsmart.com]
August 09, 2015 01:06AM
"Then you get the stammering excuses... "I...I...I can't move because of my job." Or "My wife loves it here - I can't move." Or "My kids are still in school." Or "My friends and family are here!"... You have frends here? You can make new friends anywhere. You have family here? They can fly in on the holidays - gives them a chance to visit that great (winking smiley) place they used to live."

Thank you. Your proving the very things that I've already said. You say that people use their spouses, kids, and careers as cheap excuses. You think people should toss aside their friends, perhaps very good friends, and make new ones, hoping that the new friendships will grow and deepen to match the ones that they're throwing away. You think people should be willing to reduce their family time to whenever someone can hop on a plane and spend the weekend or a holiday. You think people should toss away at least a portion of the progress and future opportunities that they've developed in their career.

... And they should do these things so that they can make the climate and landform around themselves priority number one?

Oh jeeeezuz, Indy. That's sad.

The reality is normal people cherish their family, friends, and career, and are willing to make sacrifices for them. Being lonely and bitter that you missed out on these things, you snarl derisively at people who enjoy them, accusing them of making cheap excuses. No. What they're really doing is living full, enjoyable lives. When someone makes that sacrifice, it means they DID put on their big boy pants and make a decision, my friend.

Re: The link where I stated that I moved to Colorado twice and moved back to Florida again:

You DO know that you're supposed to be arguing AGAINST me, right? I've already stated that I moved back to Florida to be with my friends and family. So count me as another example of people who are willing to sacrifice the climate that they enjoy to be with their family and friends.

Is there... um ... anything else you want to add that supports my case? grinning smiley

"That's what is known as a "Freudian slip", bro."

Swing and a miss. I don't give you a hard time about your condo because it's "indoors." I think people who stay indoors in Florida (at least in the summer) are very sane. I give you a hard time about it because your lonely, miserable life is entirely contained within it — meanwhile you mouth off about how you've got your sh*t all squared away. Sure, champ. Crank up ESPN and break out another bag of Cheetos.
August 09, 2015 08:53AM
Great film. The film resonated on a lot of different levels when I saw it having been reading Nietzsche's The Birth of Tragedy. To me the film represented Nietzsche's theory. Gregory represented the Dionysian, while Shawn represented the Apollonian. Together they formed the duality of theater, which they were both engaged in, and they both seemed to draw on Dionysian metaphors.

I also know someone who engaged in similar experiments at the time as those mentioned in the film.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 08:55AM by Kairos.
August 09, 2015 10:00AM
Navy... seriously? You're the one who left your (alleged) "friends", "family" and snicker "career" not once but twice according to your own version of events. Shouldn't you have "sacrificed" to stay here and be with them the whole time? That's the "logic" you are trying to sell here - that people who have those things don't leave - yet you did... more than once! So - again - like being trapped in your dank little hovel all day, afraid to interact with the people on those beautiful beaches you have right there outside your window - you are obviously the one with no life, friends or family that care about you. That is obvious from your own statements! You might as well be in the confessional at church or on the couch talking to a psychologist you're giving up so much sensitive personal information in this thread! Your entire life with all your deepest darkest secrets and most painful insecurities are written between every line of your posts... yet you honestly believe throwing a few more of your trademark weak invectives and laughably off base attacks at Indy are somehow going to fog the mirror into your soul that you yourself have positioned in front of this board for all to see? Navy... let's be real. I love Florida - I've never made any bones about that. I love my family and friends and the business I started over 20 years ago - I would never leave them... not once and certainly not twice! It would never even occur to me to leave. So by your own logic - Indy is the one who has the stable relationships and loving friends and serious career to attend to here in AGSF. You on the other hand? If you actually had any friends or family here in the beautiful Sunshine State they would probably be thinking you can't stand them at this point! You left them twice! They would not let you get close on an interpersonal level because you have one foot out the door all the time! Your lecture - like your weak attacks - are obviously aimed at yourself, bro. Just another way you're revealing to all of us here the utter bleakness of your existence.

So let's recap... you have no friends, your family can't stand you, your "career" (if you want to call the Geek Squad a "career" ) is so important you've bailed on it twice already and you're afraid to leave your crappy little duplex to have any fun. Jeez, I would say your life sucks, Navy - but quite frankly I'm not sure that even qualifies as a "life". smiling smiley
August 09, 2015 07:47PM
Too long, didn't read. You need to shorten that up before I respond.
August 09, 2015 07:58PM
Hmmm... let's see...

Indy's last post: 432 words
Navy's last post: 451 words

Yes, just as I suspected - once again you are projecting your own faults and insecurities onto Indy. Obviously you are self conscious about your tendency to ramble on - boring readers to tears. And who can blame you? This is quite understandable, Navy. Okay before we start, let Dr. Indy go get his notepad. I'm guessing you have a lot more to get off your chest today.
August 09, 2015 08:06PM
I'm keeping my promise, Curt..... I'm keeping my promise...

angry smiley

August 09, 2015 11:06PM
Dr. Indy is here - notepad in hand - if you wish to participate as well, Pondy. smoking smiley
August 10, 2015 02:20AM
Indy, did you drop both posts into a word editor to get a count? Really?

grinning smiley
August 10, 2015 04:40AM
Continued in the special thread...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!