Forum Index            

Cookies Consent Information
SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Join to post comments.

Is your name welcomed below? Then you are invited to post here: Politics Philosophy Diversions

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is mandated wealth redistribution immoral?

Posted by tuk22 
Is mandated wealth redistribution immoral?
July 12, 2015 04:12AM
Kinda the Robin Hood argument

I guess you would also have to consider not only is it against freedom who manages the redistribution?

How much trust do you have in your wealth manager?

I understand all taxation = redistribution most of us believe in taxes but why do we desire to economically punish the successful? Is that a good message to promote? We want to help the homeless, children, the elderly, the sick... But should we redistribute wealth by mandate to make a poor persons life a tad more comfortable?

Try to see both the pros and cons if you can
Re: Is mandated wealth redistribution immoral?
July 12, 2015 05:45AM
How is it possible for anyone to believe that "all" taxation is wealth redistribution when more than half the federal gov't's discretionary spending is on the military. And what primarily does the military do? It protects the assets of the wealthy.
July 12, 2015 06:39AM
Because it is all forms of taxation take your money and redistribute it to someone or something else regardless if it benefits you
July 12, 2015 06:44AM
How dangerous is the world and what should be the cost of defending our country?

That question is why I have a hard time asking to cut military spending I really don't know the answer to it... So I'm skeptical hippo when people like Pondy just say cut defense spending in half.

But I'm sure there is cost savings to be found by limiting defense contracts and services
July 12, 2015 07:12AM
If we cut the defense budget in half we would still be spending 5X what the rest of the world combined spends on defense. Then there is the other problem - our "defense" has not needed to "defend" the country in 70 years. Our military is used EXCLUSIVELY for offensive wars of choice - not "defense". So excuse me if I'm skeptical when someone cries crocodile tears for the wealthy who might - MIGHT - have to pay another 3-4% in taxes yet can't see the utter folly in pissing away $3 trillion on a stupid war where absolutely NOTHING was gained. If there is a hell - I'm sure it is reserved for people who rank their bank accounts above the lives of innocent people who have done nothing to us.
July 12, 2015 08:47AM
Wow you italicized combined as if it was meaningful irrationally comparing the budgets of other countries to a superpower if you want to have the USA take a similar geopolitical role as smaller less significant nation states just come out and say it... But explain to us the outlook of that happening

No Indy I'm sure the world is too complex for you to understand

Because nobody here has that knowledge
July 12, 2015 09:43AM
That's funny. The career paper pusher who gets his "info" from Fox thinks he's informed. Pick up a book and read - maybe one day you'll take a bigger step and actually start contributing something to the world other than hospital red tape and hatred for those less fortunate than yourself.
July 12, 2015 09:49AM
It is not "punishing the successful" for them to pay taxes any more than it's punishing anyone else for them to pay taxes. No one becomes successful without the benefits of society provided by taxes assisting them. And the more successful they become, the more society and taxes helped them. This is why massively Profitable corporations and obscenely wealthy people not paying taxes is seen as so egregiously unfair. They are benefiting from the fruits of taxes without contributing back.

July 13, 2015 02:01AM
I can't add anything to what's been already brilliantly stated by Dick, Indy, and Ponderer. thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
July 13, 2015 02:36AM
That's funny. The career paper pusher who gets his "info" from Fox thinks he's informed.

All you can say to your debating partner is that you watch Fox News lol

Fox News is garbage I never watch that crap

Pick up a book and read

lol

maybe one day you'll take a bigger step and actually start contributing something to the world

I'm comfortable... Maybe you can photo shop something clever I'll give you a few bucks for the laugh

hospital red tape and hatred for those less fortunate than yourself.

Absurd. You know nothing.
July 13, 2015 02:58AM
t is not "punishing the successful"

Yes, it can be. We all do benefit from government and taxes. But it's clear some benefit more than others, and if you truly believe government capital has a 'return on investment' for all Americans... that can be measured in real dollars... If the benefit was so clear and attractive we would all favor heavy taxation

And the reality is nobody likes taxes Take away the payroll tax and the hatred would be much much larger

It's because our wealth is poorly managed by our government... It's a fact.
July 13, 2015 06:17AM
On this we agree - the rich benefit from taxes far more than the poor. But I have to point out if you wish to be taken seriously, Tuk - you need to grow out of the childish libertarian nonsense. "I got mine" is not a serious political ideology. It's a child with a new toy who won't let anyone else play with it. It's the only ideology more shortsighted and dangerous than the wingnuts. You don't watch Fox? Maybe you should - take your first baby steps toward adulthood.
July 13, 2015 07:21AM
That's stupid you act as if progressive thought is the only real political philosophy...

And you agree that the government cannot properly manage our money yet you want it to manage more, most likely because you don't pay much taxes you get an Obama care subsidy... Seriously you would care more if it were your money
July 13, 2015 07:34AM
Lol @ the I got mine / don't share toys because people with money are not charitable they are all Scrooge freaking embarrassing

In never angry or jealous when someone has more than me I'm proud... Everyone I know who is well of works really hard; are successful at what they do
July 13, 2015 08:24AM
I'm not fuking around when I say nobody has that knowledge so much of what is real is classified

You can't make national defense budget arguments in ignorance remember it's our governments number 1 priority to protect our borders/enemies foreign and domestic

That doesn't mean I'm against efficiency far from it, doesn't mean I want to expand our militarily role hell no I want out of pointless conflicts and would never agree to using might to protect financial interests... We just don't know enough

But @#$%& look at Russia and NATO right now if someone strong BERNIE? lol doesn't stop this madness I can see tons of money being spent... Fuk how much does misslr defense cost?
July 13, 2015 08:51AM
Progressive policy is the only way to get ahead, Tuk. Hence the word... progress -ive.

And like all wingnuts (or if you're still ashamed of that term... libertarian eye rolling smiley) - you gladly take corporate welfare every time Allstate signs your paycheck, but god forbid some poor schmuck who can't find a job to feed his family gets 1/10th what you do in food stamps. A guy who - when he had a job - probably dug ditches or unloaded trucks or some other job that required actual WORK - not filling out mindless insurance forms like a well trained monkey.

So far as the military - again... read a book. There's plenty of info out there beyond the obvious I've already stated - that we haven't had to "defend" our country in 70 years. That US policy is to start wars to protect the oil supply (it's stated policy - first acknowledged publicly as "defense" under Jimmy Carter). That everyone knew there were no WMDs in Iraq beforehand. That right now we are arming al qaeda-connected militias. These are all facts. This is money we are WASTING because war is a business - not because we are "defending" the country. More corporate welfare. There is NO DOUBT we can cut the budget immensely simply by AUDITING the military. A pencil pusher like you certainly must understand THAT concept - keep track of the money we're spending instead of giving people carte blanche with Uncle Sam's credit card. I think the problem here is you are confusing your ignorance for everyone else. Some people are informed - even if you aren't.

And btw - as noted many times, I am self employed for over 20 years. I probably pay the same tax rate as you, but if my accountant can get me a tax break or an ACA subsidy - I will gladly take it... just like anybody else.
July 13, 2015 09:33PM
So I guess we're all agreed... A 90% tax on all income over $5 million per year is feasible and fair. If it worked phenomenally well before, it should work again. No reason at all that it wouldn't.

smiling bouncing smiley

July 13, 2015 11:16PM
Progressive policy is the only way to get ahead, Tuk. Hence the word... progress -ive.

Ha ha you're not kidding here you think this is a real argument

And like all wingnuts (or if you're still ashamed of that term... libertarian ) - you gladly take corporate welfare every time Allstate signs your paycheck, but god forbid some poor schmuck who can't find a job to feed his family gets 1/10th what you do in food stamps. A guy who - when he had a job - probably dug ditches or unloaded trucks or some other job that required actual WORK - not filling out mindless insurance forms like a well trained monkey.

You live in fantasy land manual labor is the only real job? Yet you require financial assistance for your health care because your current job, moving your mouse around, can't afford it don't give me my accountant found loop holes crap I know the benchmarks for ACA subsidies

So far as the military - again... read a book. There's plenty of info out there beyond the obvious I've already stated - that we haven't had to "defend" our country in 70 years.

Nice libertarian argument Ron Paul would agree

That everyone knew there were no WMDs in Iraq

This is political BS the Iraq war happened, can't reverse time to save money

keep track of the money we're spending instead of giving people carte blanche with Uncle Sam's credit card.

So you care about managing wealth but only on defense spending, weak

You're not informed you just spout typical liberal talking points.

Pondy,

What is the tax revenue of 90% over 5 million?
July 14, 2015 12:35AM
You are right about us not being able to reverse time on Iraq - that's why I suggested nothing of the sort. What we can do is stop listening to wingnuts like you who think throwing money at the military without asking any questions is the way to "defend" the country so it doesn't happen again. It's no wonder you need to "work" at a place where you punch a clock every day 9-5 with a boss who tells you exactly what to do, a little cubicle with a fern and fill-in-the-blank forms that only require names and dates (and you probably get that wrong most of the time). While you might know the benchmarks for ACA subsidies (doubtful), what you obviously do not know is how business works. A good accountant doesn't need "loopholes" eye rolling smiley to report my salary as double what you make or $0 or anything in between. If you didn't need your wife to balance the family checkbook and H&R Block to fill out your 1040EZ - you might know that. But obviously some people can't think for themselves - much less do for themselves.
July 14, 2015 12:41AM
I have a fairly large agency in Texas specializing in life & health no punch cards Indy it's 1099 income

I'm self employed
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

The best cities to meet opposite sex singles

Your 24 easiest weight loss diet options

Y'all should use this tool to identify any dialect.

Your best college value isn't where you'd guess

Secret to taking quality photos is this camera

Running shoes that won't cripple you or your wallet

16 dog breeds that won't kill your toddler

High earning jobs for low energy people

Which of over 100 cars & trucks is best for you?

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!