Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Argumentum ad ignorantiam

March 06, 2015 07:20PM
Consciousness cannot be explained by a purely physical process.

Abiogensis and the evolution of DNA cannot be explained by a purely physical process.

The pre origin of the universe and its fine tuned nature cannot be explained by a purely physical process.

"Materialist Neo-Darwinian Conception of Nature Is Almost Certainly False"

Has anyone read Carl Sagan’s Demon Haunted World?
There’s an analogy ofhow the scientific method is a light that shines unto the darkness and shows us the truth. Now that light has shone brightly for a while. It may have started in Alexandria just before the Dark ages , just before Hypatia got flayed by Christian extremists ( who made ISIL extremists look like the Vienna Boys Choir)

Aristotle shone the light until his works got hijack by Jesus Freaks e.g. Augustine . Galileo had a big flood light, Darwin even bigger. Then there’s Einstein, Watson and Crick, Hawkins and Lawrence Krauss.

What the scientific community has notice over the centuries is as they shine the light on the unknown and make it known, the cockroaches under the guise of philosophers and metaphysics and theologians try to find any little nock and cranny to get away from the light so they can continue to remain relevant. S o they can continue naval gazing and counting how many angels dance on a pin without needing to provide an iota of proof for their hypothesis. So they can claim the conscious or DNA or the origins of the universe have to have a supernatural reason. It’s the hand of god or an intelligent designer we don’t know about or an eternal being who sprinkles fairy dust to make things happen

I really prefer wilful ignorance. And IT IS a desperate attempt for philosophy and metaphysics and theology to remain relevant

Take consciousness or the self for example. The champions of metaphysics and theology and anti materialism claim it can’t be explained by the scientific method so must be something preternatural, or meta physical

Well there are a plethora of chemical reactions that can alter consciousness, is this a false statement?
There are a plethora of chemical reactions that can knock out consciousness is this a false statement?

Brain surgery can alter and eliminate the self. Remove the hyper-thalymus and you cannot retain memories. And Memories ARE a foundation of the self. Is this a false statement?

So how the f*ck can you claim that conscious and the self is not a by-product of a complex organism. How can you claim that the bases of consciousness and the self is not founded on materialism.

To claim that the consciousness and the subjective self are not a by- product of the brain is just plain wilful ignorance. It is flabbergasting to claim that an insanely complication organ like the brain, i.e. 100 billion neurons with each neuron having the ability to make at least 10000 connections with its neighbouring neurons can t produce something as banal as the illusion of the self. Yes banal, ever watch the Kardasians?

Now take abiogenesis, another case of wilful ignorance for those who claim there must be a hand of god throwing fairy dust on rock to make life come into being.

Read some @#$%& scientific journals for f*cks sake. We're on the brink of knowing how cells were form and how they replicated. I won’t go into detail because I want ignorant f&cks to look them up for themselves.

Oh sorry you may need a university level understanding of molecular biology. I can understand why you would want to remain wilfully ignorant, philosophy and theology and metaphysic s so much easier to understand than biochemistry and molecular biology.

As for what kick started the universe... well for the so called theologians and metaphysics and IDers it has to be an eternal being which is the foundations of the universe... it’s the simplest answer. Or others rely on the antiquated Kalam cosmological argument.

This is the same mob that ridicules the Multiunvierse , a hypothesis which the scientific method is on the brink of proving. Again do your f*cking research. BTW these are same people that ridiculed the Higgs Boson particle. OH what was the nickname for the particle again ... oh that right the GOD PARTICLE. (it’s a bit like an eternal being that is the foundation of the universe ) And low and behold the scientific method shines the light again and shows that what it claims is the truth. Unlike the cockroaches living in the dark.

Postscript
Hey Dick you know I’m a level six atheist and I think there is as much chance as the universe having purpose as me winning the lottery a million times in a row but I have to be the devil's advocate here because lately you debating opponents have been a tad subpar and I was wondering how you address this so here goes

1. The universe is the sum total of all that has existed, all that exist and all that will exist

2.Humans are part of the universe.

3.Humans have purpose i.e. I have purpose to mow my lawn and masturbate after, the Cancer Council ‘s purpose is to cure cancer, Nazi Germany’s purpose was to wipe out Jews and other sub humans.

4, Therefore the universe has purpose.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2015 07:29PM by Fascinated_foreigner.
Re: Argumentum ad ignorantiam
March 06, 2015 08:25PM
Sorry kids just to confirm an error. Aristotle came before Hypatia.
March 06, 2015 09:50PM
Another butt hurt atheist rambling on as if somehow they own science... What a crock of @#$%&... Nobody is impressed.
March 06, 2015 10:27PM
Fascinated foreigner
Hey Dick you know I’m a level six atheist and I think there is as much chance as the universe having purpose as me winning the lottery a million times in a row but I have to be the devil's advocate here because lately you debating opponents have been a tad subpar and I was wondering how you address this so here goes

1. The universe is the sum total of all that has existed, all that exist and all that will exist

2.Humans are part of the universe.

3.Humans have purpose i.e. I have purpose to mow my lawn and masturbate after, the Cancer Council ‘s purpose is to cure cancer, Nazi Germany’s purpose was to wipe out Jews and other sub humans.

4, Therefore the universe has purpose.

Thanks for the softball, ff.

Things in the universe have purpose but that's not even evidence, much less proof, that the universe itself has purpose. Technically the argument fails because it commits the fallacy of composition; that is, it attributes a trait or traits that belong to some or all individual members of a set to the set itself. It's like saying the set of whole numbers is even because some of the numbers contained within the set are even.
Sam
March 06, 2015 10:56PM
FF, Do you believe a purpose necessitates a purpose-giver?
March 07, 2015 09:13PM
Nice to see you FF!

"Consciousness cannot be explained by a purely physical process."

This was written outside a philosophy professors office at the local university.

I wrote at the end of it a week ago when I saw it. "False"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!
March 07, 2015 10:17PM
Agree.

Are you going to school now or just saw the sign in passing?
March 08, 2015 04:23AM
Was just taking a brief 6 class course.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!