Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.

The job of the Biden campaign is simple, and Trump is helping.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Who wants to go on a one-way trip to Mars?

Posted by Curt Anderson 
Re: Who wants to go on a one-way trip to Mars?
February 27, 2015 03:55PM
Sam
They are going there to be killed? Hadn't heard that one. I just thought it was for people who want to go down in history for doing something fantastically adventuresome and potentially to help us all learn more about the universe. Doesn't seem suicidal to me just a bit sacrificial for a payoff that would be hugely personally beneficial for someone who wants to be famous forever. If they actually go and never come back they will be the first Martians known to man. I think it's cool and admire anyone with the balls to do it.

OK no, not killed, but they are not coming back, and there is a very increased probability that they won't last long.
Sam
February 27, 2015 04:19PM
Without people like these Martian wannabes, there would be no astronauts or any of the knowledge we've gained from their expertise and courage.
February 27, 2015 07:34PM
Sam
They are going there to be killed?

Yes. It's called marooning. Marooning was considered such a terrible punishment that those pirates and other seafarers sentenced to be marooned begged to hung or shot instead.

"White power! White power!" --Demented Racist Donald Trump

Sam
February 27, 2015 08:11PM
But these people are volunteers. Are you really being marooned if you ask to be dropped off somewhere and left?
February 27, 2015 09:06PM
Sam,
As Navy and I both said, these volunteers haven't thought this through. It reminds me of the way terrorists groups use retarded people as suicide bombers. Thorn correctly observed that in the remote chance this project ever gets off the ground, the formerly wannabe Martians will all back out. I am convinced that this is an elaborate and cynical public relations stunt and it's really about the reality TV show they hope to produce. At most, if there ever is a TV show produced they'll follow the Mars-one crew through their "training" on earth. If any of the contestants are sincere and actually think they are heading to Mars it's too bad somebody already has a reality TV show called the "Biggest Losers".

There must be legal issues here. I wonder what the law says about launching people on a trip from which there is no hope of returning alive. In Oregon, we allow doctor prescribed suicide, but you have to be terminally ill.

Sam
February 27, 2015 09:23PM
[community.mars-one.com]

I don't know if this is real or a stunt or what but if it was real, the people who volunteered for it would have my admiration. If it's a reality show before, during or after the "mission" I will watch it, lol.
February 27, 2015 09:34PM
Sam,
Did you notice how many members of the Mars-one community want to go to Mars because they are worried about Climate Change?
See [community.mars-one.com] [community.mars-one.com] [community.mars-one.com] [community.mars-one.com]

Living in the Martian climate---now that would be a real climate change.

Sam
February 27, 2015 10:06PM
True dat, Curt.
February 28, 2015 08:09AM
One small clarification: If there are a percentage of these volunteers who truly believe that there is a need for human exploration of Mars, and are willing to make the sacrifice of going there for the benefit of the human race, then they have my admiration as well. In the same sense, I would admire a man who ran into a burning building to save a child that he mistakenly believed was trapped in there. He's factually wrong, but his heart is in the right place.

Robotic exploration is a far more practical avenue right now. Once we've learned enough about Mars and developed strong enough reasons to move forward and explore / colonize, only then should we send humans.
Sam
February 28, 2015 08:17AM
I'm thinking maybe we've already gathered enough info from robots to move on to human habitation. Certainly a guinea pig project but still could generate some valuable science, imo. I can't imagine them choosing someone to go who isn't psychologically prepared for any eventuality esp. their permanent alienation from earth. I hope I live long enough to see it happen!
March 01, 2015 01:26AM
It's incredibly pompous and presumptive to accuse these people of "not thinking it through". How the f'uck do you know their thought processes?
March 01, 2015 01:31AM
There is still MUCH to be worked out regarding this venture. They still have another whole decade to work on it. If they aren't ready by their current target date, I cannot see them going through with it, at least not until they're as confident as they can possibly be that all the kinks have been worked out.
March 01, 2015 02:18AM
Hornswoggle
"There is still MUCH to be worked out" is close cousin of "not thinking it through". Here is what one rejected contestant finally realized:

Maybe at first when I applied I was a little bit more enthusiastic and passionate about it. But then along the way, I became more critical toward the project. I really kept thinking about technical issues - though that's not necessarily my background - but more, what would it really mean if people would go and live there and what the ideas are of the organization.

At first I thought, this is a great project and this is possible and we're going to do that. And I still think it is technically possible. But I learned that there are a lot more issues that you have to look at, just from a technical side: living there, and the psychological perspective. I became more aware of the aspects of living on Mars, you could say.

What was one of the biggest technical challenges for the Mars mission that you began to worry about during the selection process?

On the technical side, most of the issues are known already. Living on Mars is, you could say, the easy part. But traveling to Mars is the most dangerous part because there is a lot of radiation. And it's not clear what the effects are on organic life and humans.

But I think more, it's the people who are going there - how will their daily life be? Because in the end you can have all this technology, but you really need to have good thought about how people are going to live there and in what kind of an environment. And how will you prepare people for that? [www.dw.de]

March 01, 2015 06:51AM
I would do it. How many of you folks are going to do something no one has ever done before? How many of you will go down in history as the first human to step foot on another planet? People sacrifice their lives all the time for dumber sh!t - like fighting a war in Iraq for some ridiculous "protecting our freedomS" fairy tale. Are you kidding me? If the plan sounded feasible - I would do it. Even if you don't make it there - what are the odds you'll ever get a chance just to travel in space? It would be the opportunity of a lifetime - but oh wait - I have to finish my life out on Earth so I can die in a hospice somewhere at the age of 86.

Please. You guys are funny. smiling smiley
March 01, 2015 07:11AM
"There is still MUCH to be worked out" is close cousin of "not thinking it through". - Curt

Well no. If I were selected for a dangerous mission like this (which is hard to imagine because I'm so much of a chicken about doing dangerous things) I would do so on the condition that if I didn't feel right about it at any point that I would bail out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!