Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Who wants to go on a one-way trip to Mars?

Posted by Curt Anderson 
Re: Who wants to go on a one-way trip to Mars?
February 27, 2015 07:41AM
The guinea pig volunteers are in itself a science experiment...

And I agree with the libs exploration is key to unlocking new knowledge of Mars. If this actually happens I'm sure there will be important knowledge gained. It is a death wish but not a meaningless one...
February 27, 2015 07:42AM
How do you figure it's a death wish?
February 27, 2015 07:43AM
Hornswoggle
You can always find a few people that will agree with any given stance on any subject...

OK, find a few people with any scientific credibility who think Mars-one is a good idea.
February 27, 2015 07:56AM
tuk22
The guinea pig volunteers are in itself a science experiment...

Sort of a sociological experiment, at best. It's along the lines of Jonestown, Heaven's Gate [en.wikipedia.org]) and BioSphere 2. Even if they did get to Mars, which I'd bet the house they won't, they won't have any more insights than the Mars Rover provides other than personal observations about their own stupidity, such as "OMG...I just made the worst decision of my life!"
February 27, 2015 08:01AM
It's going to be a reality show? Now I really want to sign up.

Sorry Curt - your ground drilling thing doesn't interest me. I've already seen At The Earth's Core.
February 27, 2015 08:02AM
Mars One Mission Advisory Board [www.mars-one.com]
February 27, 2015 08:19AM
You use the same people involved in Mars-One as an example of people who endorse Mars-One? Do you have anybody NOT compensated by Mars-One who thinks it's a good idea?
February 27, 2015 09:31AM
While I'm not quite as cynical about this as Curt, I agree that these volunteers probably haven't thought this through. This trip would be exciting and adventurous for the training period, the outset of the trip to Mars, and then the first ... year? ... of actually living on Mars. Most of the trip through space and most of their lives on Mars will settle down to routine. The novelty of being in space and being on a new planet will wear off. Then ... what? Scientific experiments? "Exploring" a desert landscape with zero plant or animal life? Life on Mars, to me, sounds like life on Earth, but without access to 99.9% of the activities and human interactions that are available on Earth.

PTTP,

"But I would bet you any amount of money that the scientific community overwhelmingly supports this mission."

I would take that bet against you. From what I've read, there is a pretty large split (although not necessarily 50/50) in the scientific community in the Human Vs. Robotic Space Exploration debate.
February 27, 2015 09:31AM
If I was terminally ill I would probably be up for it.

I can't understand anyone who would willingly kill themselves for the pleasure, and I really can't believe that their families would support them.

My guess is, if this ever comes to fruition, that 100 would drop to 0 in an instant.
Sam
February 27, 2015 03:37PM
They are going there to be killed? Hadn't heard that one. I just thought it was for people who want to go down in history for doing something fantastically adventuresome and potentially to help us all learn more about the universe. Doesn't seem suicidal to me just a bit sacrificial for a payoff that would be hugely personally beneficial for someone who wants to be famous forever. If they actually go and never come back they will be the first Martians known to man. I think it's cool and admire anyone with the balls to do it.
February 27, 2015 03:55PM
Sam
They are going there to be killed? Hadn't heard that one. I just thought it was for people who want to go down in history for doing something fantastically adventuresome and potentially to help us all learn more about the universe. Doesn't seem suicidal to me just a bit sacrificial for a payoff that would be hugely personally beneficial for someone who wants to be famous forever. If they actually go and never come back they will be the first Martians known to man. I think it's cool and admire anyone with the balls to do it.

OK no, not killed, but they are not coming back, and there is a very increased probability that they won't last long.
Sam
February 27, 2015 04:19PM
Without people like these Martian wannabes, there would be no astronauts or any of the knowledge we've gained from their expertise and courage.
February 27, 2015 07:34PM
Sam
They are going there to be killed?

Yes. It's called marooning. Marooning was considered such a terrible punishment that those pirates and other seafarers sentenced to be marooned begged to hung or shot instead.
Sam
February 27, 2015 08:11PM
But these people are volunteers. Are you really being marooned if you ask to be dropped off somewhere and left?
February 27, 2015 09:06PM
Sam,
As Navy and I both said, these volunteers haven't thought this through. It reminds me of the way terrorists groups use retarded people as suicide bombers. Thorn correctly observed that in the remote chance this project ever gets off the ground, the formerly wannabe Martians will all back out. I am convinced that this is an elaborate and cynical public relations stunt and it's really about the reality TV show they hope to produce. At most, if there ever is a TV show produced they'll follow the Mars-one crew through their "training" on earth. If any of the contestants are sincere and actually think they are heading to Mars it's too bad somebody already has a reality TV show called the "Biggest Losers".

There must be legal issues here. I wonder what the law says about launching people on a trip from which there is no hope of returning alive. In Oregon, we allow doctor prescribed suicide, but you have to be terminally ill.
Sam
February 27, 2015 09:23PM
[community.mars-one.com]

I don't know if this is real or a stunt or what but if it was real, the people who volunteered for it would have my admiration. If it's a reality show before, during or after the "mission" I will watch it, lol.
February 27, 2015 09:34PM
Sam,
Did you notice how many members of the Mars-one community want to go to Mars because they are worried about Climate Change?
See [community.mars-one.com] [community.mars-one.com] [community.mars-one.com] [community.mars-one.com]

Living in the Martian climate---now that would be a real climate change.
Sam
February 27, 2015 10:06PM
True dat, Curt.
February 28, 2015 08:09AM
One small clarification: If there are a percentage of these volunteers who truly believe that there is a need for human exploration of Mars, and are willing to make the sacrifice of going there for the benefit of the human race, then they have my admiration as well. In the same sense, I would admire a man who ran into a burning building to save a child that he mistakenly believed was trapped in there. He's factually wrong, but his heart is in the right place.

Robotic exploration is a far more practical avenue right now. Once we've learned enough about Mars and developed strong enough reasons to move forward and explore / colonize, only then should we send humans.
Sam
February 28, 2015 08:17AM
I'm thinking maybe we've already gathered enough info from robots to move on to human habitation. Certainly a guinea pig project but still could generate some valuable science, imo. I can't imagine them choosing someone to go who isn't psychologically prepared for any eventuality esp. their permanent alienation from earth. I hope I live long enough to see it happen!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!