Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Who wants to go on a one-way trip to Mars?

Posted by Curt Anderson 
Who wants to go on a one-way trip to Mars?
February 27, 2015 12:28AM
...and a follow up question: If yes, WHY?!?!

Mars One—a nonprofit group that is working to send humans on a one-way trip to Mars—recently announced its 100 finalists out of 200,000 original applicants. [www.google.com]
Re: Who wants to go on a one-way trip to Mars?
February 27, 2015 12:46AM
Sam does...

(:p)
Sam
February 27, 2015 01:10AM
No, I don't. Tuk wants me to, tho.
February 27, 2015 02:49AM
I don't. Most people wouldn't. But I can see how someone more adventurous than me might want to do that. I can't think of a more mind-blowing adventure than flying to Mars and living there the rest of your life.

There were 200,000 applicants.

One of the finalists was on Larry Wilmore last night. She said that her whole family was wholeheartedly supporting her.

Comment from one of the finalists:

“If that means dying on a planet far from home, well, that’s a small price to pay because otherwise I’d die on this planet eventually,” said Director. “Being on the forefront of exploration, pushing the limits of human experience and what is possible for us, is something that I’ve always wanted.”

[fox43.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 03:03AM by Hornswoggle.
February 27, 2015 03:28AM
Those people are insane. They clearly haven't thought this through. A summer day on Mars may get up to 70 degrees F (20 degrees C) near the equator, but at night the temperature can plummet to about minus 100 degrees F (minus 73 C).

Every one of these people who signed up for this expedition should be dropped off in the middle of Antarctica and/or the Sahara just to see how resourceful they could be in a desolate environment. I wouldn't go simply because I'd know that I'd be surrounded by crazy people.
February 27, 2015 04:25AM
Those people are insane. - Curt

Of course you think that. You have a propensity to look down your nose at anyone who doesn't share your values.

Those people are insane. They clearly haven't thought this through. A summer day on Mars may get up to 70 degrees F (20 degrees C) near the equator, but at night the temperature can plummet to about minus 100 degrees F (minus 73 C). - Curt

Do you think they're going to be living in pup tents? eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 04:26AM by Hornswoggle.
February 27, 2015 04:37AM
Whatever structures they will be confined to for the rest of their lives, they will need to erect pretty darn quickly before they freeze to death. So they can't be too elaborate.
February 27, 2015 04:43AM
I would have signed up.
February 27, 2015 05:01AM
Indy!
I would have signed up.

Sure. The cost to sign up was $7 to $80 depending on where you lived.

BUT GOOD NEWS...I am proud to announce a special offer for would-be explorers like yourself, its called. "Journey to the center of the earth". I will be selecting one hundred earth-tronauts from the 200,000 applicants that I expect to get. The application fee is a flat $50. I promise to put the volunteers down into the earth, but not back up. Indy, if you send me your application fee in right away I lipromise to get you in on the ground floor... well actually below the ground floor.
February 27, 2015 05:17AM
Wow. If everyone throughout human history shared Curt's utter lack of curiosity, his absolute lack of a sense of adventure or even how any other human might harbor one themselves, the mind boggles at the thought of how many important discoveries would have never been made.

February 27, 2015 05:20AM
$80 is a king's ransom to you, Curt? smiling smiley
February 27, 2015 06:03AM
Ponderer,
Those would-be Martians don't have curiosity, they have a death wish. If it is a sort of curiosity, it's the same curiosity as teens who "plank" on freeways. They may be curious if they will be crushed to death by a passing vehicle. There is no scientific reason to send 100 people to Mars. We already know what's up there--incredibly cold temperatures, no accessible water and dust storms. Fortunately, for those 100 morons selected out of the 200,000 paying applicants, NONE of them will be going to Mars.

Maybe another Marshall Applewhite will come along, and instead of trip to Mars, they can catch a ride with other like-minded folks to Uranus in an alien spacecraft. [accessnewage.com]

Indy,
No $80 isn't a lot of money. That $50 application fee is our grand opening special discounted price for prospective earth-tronauts in my subterranean expedition.
February 27, 2015 06:30AM
"Those people are insane. They clearly haven't thought this through. A summer day on Mars may get up to 70 degrees F (20 degrees C) near the equator, but at night the temperature can plummet to about minus 100 degrees F (minus 73 C)"

People survive in those temperatures in Siberia.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!
February 27, 2015 06:50AM
Those would-be Martians don't have curiosity, they have a death wish. If it is a sort of curiosity, it's the same curiosity as teens who "plank" on freeways. They may be curious if they will be crushed to death by a passing vehicle. There is no scientific reason to send 100 people to Mars. We already know what's up there--incredibly cold temperatures, no accessible water and dust storms. Fortunately, for those 100 morons selected out of the 200,000 paying applicants, NONE of them will be going to Mars. - Curt

What an asshole.
February 27, 2015 06:53AM
There is absolutely scientific reason to go to Mars what are you smoking?
February 27, 2015 06:56AM
He's not smoking anything - he's just a judgmental ignoramus. It comes natural to him.
February 27, 2015 07:26AM
Hornswoggle,
You are an ignoranus (ignorant and an asshole).

Tuk,
I didn't say there is no scientific reason to go to Mars. I said there was no scientific reason to send 100 people to Mars. I might add 100 people who are apparently are laymen and not necessarily scientists (at least of the names made public that I've read about). One of the finalists, mentioned in the article I link to below, is a British transgender taxi-cab driver, for example.

Mars-one is about as scientific as an episode of "Survivor". In fact, the plan is for the expedition to be a reality show.

Canadian Space Agency astronaut Chris Hadfield has questioned whether the controversial Mars One project will ever be completed. The mission - funded by making a reality TV show around the trip - hopes to send four volunteers on a one-way trip to the Red Planet to establish “a permanent human settlement on Mars” by 2025.

Hadfield, a seasoned space traveller who has served as commander of the International Space Station, told Medium: “I really counsel every single one of the people who is interested in Mars One, whenever they ask me about it, to start asking the hard questions now.”

“I want to know: How does a space suit on Mars work? Show me how it is pressurized, and how it is cooled. What’s the glove design? None of that stuff can be bought off the rack. It does not exist. You can’t just go to SpaceMart and buy those things.”

Here's a short list of what else Hadfield said we need to know before living on Mars:
How do you completely recycle your water?
How do you completely recycle your oxygen system?
How do you protect yourselves from radiation?
How do you not go crazy?
How do you set up the politics of the place and the command structure, so that when we get it wrong we won't all die? [www.businessinsider.com]

----------------------------------------------------------
Mars One has estimated that the project will cost $6 billion, tens of billions less than NASA’s cost projection for a similar mission. However, so far Mars One has raised just 0.01% of this from donations and has yet to procure a network buyer for the planned reality TV show.

Hadfield is not the first person to doubt the probability of the success of the project. Earlier this year, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) conducted analysis of Mars One’s plans. An MIT professor then announced that although, "We're not saying, black and white, Mars One is infeasible… We do think it's not really feasible under the assumptions they've made. We're pointing to technologies that could be helpful to invest in with high priority, to move them along the feasibility path.” [www.newsweek.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 07:32AM by Curt Anderson.
February 27, 2015 07:32AM
I said there was no scientific reason to send 100 people to Mars. - Curt

First of all, what credentials do you have to make such a judgment?

Secondly, they're not sending 100 people to Mars - the plan is to send 24. And they won't be all going at the same time.

You should actually read about the mission.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 07:36AM by Hornswoggle.
February 27, 2015 07:35AM
Don't take my word for it. Ask astronaut Chris Hadfield or the professors at MIT. It just so happens they agree with me.
February 27, 2015 07:39AM
You can always find a few people that will agree with any given stance on any subject. But I would bet you any amount of money that the scientific community overwhelmingly supports this mission.

You should read about the mission instead of making snap judgments about things you know nothing about..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!