Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The day the sun danced in the sky.

Posted by Dick 
Re: The day the sun danced in the sky.
February 20, 2015 09:52PM
What a bunch of nonsense. Your brain is quite addled...

God = Theology, a central branch of metaphysics.

Fairy = A particular mythological character.
Sam
February 20, 2015 09:56PM
Both made up out of the thinnest of air.
February 20, 2015 10:06PM
Predictable.

Your belief that you live in a world absent of God is a metaphysical belief.
Sam
February 20, 2015 10:19PM
So? It's pretty useful for living in the real world. Of what use is your belief you can choose not to believe @#$%&? lol
February 20, 2015 10:23PM
So? Then you must acknowledge that your atheist belief is only faith. If you want to continue to be rational stop believing that nonsense...

Will you finally admit the truth or will you continue to pretend to be ignorant?
Sam
February 20, 2015 10:28PM
Agnogs pretend to be ignorant. You are proud of it, too! I humor you and indulge your childish imaginings.
Sam
February 20, 2015 10:34PM
Let's see if you can imagine this scenario. You are born just as you were but with no mention of any gods around you. Ever. You've never heard of such a thing. When you start developing your critical thinking skills and learn how to figure things out for yourself, all of sudden one day you find a bible. What do you think? Do you think you should believe there is any sort of godthing based what you read there? Someone veryvery ignorant invented some god which evolved into your God and godthings. Why do rational thinkers have to start with the possible existence of your favorite Thing and prove it's not there in order to be considered rational? I truly think you are rationalizing your belief in, if not the probability, the possibility someThing exists. You seem veryvery irrational to me. Unstable up on that rickety fence, too.
February 20, 2015 10:37PM
Can't have both Sam that cognitive dissonance is creeping up in that brain of yours...

Right now your belief we live in a world absent of God = the belief in the existence of fairies...

Your argument btw not mine...
February 20, 2015 10:44PM
I seem very irrational to you? Nothing causes me more anxiety than inconsistent thoughts. I have quite a well thought out system... I also challenge people to poke holes, I would quickly adapt... I'm not scared to learn new things...
Sam
February 20, 2015 11:10PM
All you are doing is saying all belief is irrational. That is a meaningless thing to say.
February 20, 2015 11:23PM
Not even close. A rational belief is a belief based on logical proof or material evidence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2015 11:24PM by tuk22.
Sam
February 20, 2015 11:37PM
AND, for me, the absence of material evidence.
February 21, 2015 12:03AM
That is faith-based nonsense... you'll have a hard time convincing a rational person your absence of evidence rule is hard and fast...
Sam
February 21, 2015 02:10AM
It's hard enough for me. It's fast enough for me. And doggone it, I like it. Call your thing a god, call my thing a faith, I don't care. I'm as about as rational as I can be and you will never convince me otherwise. I'll let you convince Dick and then Dick can translate to me. Would that help? I don't enjoy masturbating to other people's fantasies.
February 21, 2015 05:20AM
Your contradicting yourself not pleasuring yourself
February 21, 2015 06:31PM
tuk22
Can't have both Sam that cognitive dissonance is creeping up in that brain of yours...

Right now your belief we live in a world absent of God = the belief in the existence of fairies...

Your argument btw not mine...

I think you've got that wrong.

Shouldn't it be: the belief that we live in a world absent God = the belief that we live in a world absent fairies?

Material evidence is lacking for both the absence of God and for the absence of fairies. For that matter, material evidence is lacking for anything that is nonexistent. Nonexistence is always argued by inference. Today, unlike 500 years ago, there is no need to invoke gods and devils and fairies or any other imaginary beings to explain the world.
February 21, 2015 07:02PM
Sam Wrote:
Isle, Again with the fruit, lol. How about this? You tell me the difference between a godthing and a fairy and why I should believe one doesn't exist but not the other. Nevermind. I don't think you nonjudging judges are even capable much less willing to answer that even for yourselves.

Again, Sam you wouldn't tell me what you 'believed' with regard to the examples I gave you because you didn't have enough information to generate a belief. What is it so hard for you to admit this??? That's what those examples were for, to demonstrate in about the simplest way possible what underdetermined means and what it means not to believe something one way or the other which you seem to think no one can do.

I've already explained to you why I don't believe fairies exist and why the I consider the "godthing" underdetermined, that is, "not enough info to generate a belief one way or the other". Did you not read my earlier explanation, or did you simply not understand what I was talking about?

No evidence for a thing's existence is evidence enough for me to judge godthings probably do not exist. I don't need certainty as maybe you do. Not even close.

Simply ignoring the evidence and pretending it doesn't exist is just your way of attempting to rationalize your belief. You need to believe there is no evidence in order to justify your belief. If you acknowledge that their is evidence, then you'd need some other way to rationalize your belief.

According to theoretical physicists who champion string theory, there are ten dimensions. Do you believe the other six exist? Where are they? What must they be like? We understand four, three spatial and one time, Personally, I don't know (knowing is believing) if the other six exist because I don't have enough info or understanding of them to generate a belief, I'm agnostic with regard to string theory. I've had these dimensions explained through the use of metaphors and analogies in order to try and conceptualize them. But I don't believe they, the metaphors, literally exist any more than I believe the characters representing a "godthing", as Thorn calls them, literally exist. I have to have a pretty good idea and understanding of what it is I'm being asked in order to state whether I believe it exists or whether it does not exist. The info I have at present on both the "godthing" and other dimensions is, for me, insufficient to generate a belief. Perhaps your mind is quick to generate beliefs based on insufficient info, who knows? Or perhaps my brain is just a bit more skeptical when it comes to generating beliefs based on insufficient info.
February 21, 2015 09:54PM
I think you've got that wrong.

Of course you do you have been confused about this for years now.

Shouldn't it be: the belief that we live in a world absent God = the belief that we live in a world absent fairies?

That's your silly argument and I read that ridiculous example you gave earlier. There are an infinite amount of foundational beings that can be conceived to exist or no foundation for the universe. Then you try to add fairies and turtles... It's retarded.

God IS the foundation of the universe whatever it may be and rightfully so...

Material evidence is lacking for both the absence of God and for the absence of fairies.

And the absence of aliens and the absence of fairies. Yet you would never equate the two because they are wholly different unknown concepts. I'm surprised you and Sam are oblivious to this... There is no rational probability for or against metaphysical foundations. It's just not possible.

Today, unlike 500 years ago, there is no need to invoke gods and devils and fairies or any other imaginary beings to explain the world.

Need again? You don't own science; anyone can use it...

But you can argue against metaphysics. It would require to drop your ridiculous God does not exist belief and become agnostic...

Consistency matters. You and Sam have the exact same conflict and it's a pity you can't recognize it...
February 22, 2015 12:05AM
No, tuk. Pay attention, please. (Have you been diagnosed as ADD?) Read the words that I actually write, not what you assume I will write.

What I meant when I wrote "Shouldn't it be: the belief that we live in a world absent God = the belief that we live in a world absent fairies?" was that earlier you wrote that Sam's belief was: "the belief we live in a world absent of God = the belief in the existence of fairies..."

Didn't you mean to write: " . . . = the belief in the nonexistence of fairies"?
February 22, 2015 12:17AM
No I meant exactly what I wrote it's implied in her responses about metaphysics. Both of you try to destroy metaphysics by defending logical positivism: the primacy of science and logical truth while at the same time making your own special metaphysical claim... It's absurd.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!