Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Empathy - An Old Fashioned Notion Whose Time Has Passed?

Posted by Ponderer 
Re: Empathy - An Old Fashioned Notion Whose Time Has Passed?
February 17, 2015 02:21AM
Curt - You and HHH should get together and form a comedy team.
February 17, 2015 02:38AM
"As for your "interesting ideas", let's see just one."

I refer you to my post:

[www.selectsmart.com]

"Because empathetic is defined as a step beyond sympathy."

You mean how you define it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!
February 17, 2015 02:49AM
Kairos
"As for your "interesting ideas", let's see just one."

I refer you to my post:

[www.selectsmart.com]

"Because empathetic is defined as a step beyond sympathy."

You mean how you define it.

So what part of that post is your "interesting idea"? Creating a link? Copying something? The National Institutes of Health? Or what?

Not just how I define the words, but every dictionary's definitions of the words.
February 17, 2015 02:54AM
I quite literally only quoted three sentences in that entire post. The rest was written by myself. There isn't just one idea in there. There are many to form a composite whole.

"
Not just how I define the words, but every dictionary's definitions of the words."

Please Curt at least make it a challenge to show your statements being false:

This was literally the first dictionary I found on google:

[www.merriam-webster.com]

"Empathy the feeling that you understand and share another person's experiences and emotions : the ability to share someone else's feelings"

No mention of the word sympathy there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 02:57AM by Kairos.
February 17, 2015 03:00AM
Kairos,
Apparently you have a lower bar for what passes as an idea, much less an interesting idea than I do. What you wrote in that post I call a mix of statements and opinions.
February 17, 2015 03:05AM
Of course you are going to be condescending to my idea, because you're an egotist, but that's beside the point. The fact is you are pre-biased in your judgement and anything I would have said you would have said was uninteresting much like Salieri in the film saying 'too many notes and yawning.' This is a fact otherwise you wouldn't have asked me to show something I'd said that was interesting and this is obvious to myself and everyone here even before you posted. In fact I already predicted 100% your clockwork predictable response.

I will instead leave my post to unbiased people who are not you or me.

Did the other posters here find my ideas, and thoughts in that post interesting or uninteresting?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 03:08AM by Kairos.
February 17, 2015 03:15AM
Nobody is saying that you thoughts are uninteresting, Kairos.

What you linked to isn't an idea. Plus I doubt that you come up with that post while you were stoned.
February 17, 2015 03:27AM
Curt to put the central idea which I presented in a nutshell: Since it has been shown that MDMA enhances empathic processes in the brain (sourced to the link) by increasing serotonin and norepinephrin levels in the brain, that this demonstrates that such empathic processes already exist in humans, but are simply heightened by the higher levels of neurotransmitters being flooded to the point where such capacities are obvious to the conscious rather than simply operating unconsciously in the background for some.

That idea was not present in the article. The article seemed to already accept empathic processes as an a priori reality; whereas my idea was to show a proof that such empathic processes exist.

The other central idea I presented, which was not present in the article was about the evolutionary theory of how empathic processes were built into the language areas of the brain (the Brocas and Wernicke's area) so as to facilitate advanced social organization.

"Plus I doubt that you come up with that post while you were stoned."

You obviously haven't been around me when I'm stoned.

February 17, 2015 04:00AM
The real question you've been asking is can certain drugs enhance certain abilities? And the answer is of course: Otherwise steroids wouldn't be banned in the Olympics.

Olympic athletes already have athletic abilities and can use their natural abilities and it's like that with empathy. One doesn't need ecstasy to have innate empathic abilities, but it has been demonstrated to enhance and bring those abilities out.

Since such abilities have been shown to exist it stands to reason that empathy exists and is a human characteristic.

I've shown both how the mechanics seem to operate and have provided evolutionary theory, which explains why such faculties exist.

February 17, 2015 05:12AM
Curt, this is simply flabbergasting. I can't believe you don't get this.

Empathy is not about actually knowing exactly what a person is thinking and/or feeling like being able to read their mind. I not only don't give a flying rat's ass if it's impossible to do that, I AGREE that it's impossible. That is absolutely and totally irrelevant to being able to feel empathy with/for someone or some people by imagining what it must be like to be in their situation, by imagining yourself in their place and imagining what your thoughts and feelings would be if you were experiencing the same thing or things they are.

Are you now going to declare that there's no such thing as imagining because what one imagines won't be totally 100% accurate?

February 17, 2015 05:39AM
Ponderer
Curt, this is simply flabbergasting. I can't believe you don't get this.

Empathy is not about actually knowing exactly what a person is thinking and/or feeling like being able to read their mind. I not only don't give a flying rat's ass if it's impossible to do that, I AGREE that it's impossible. That is absolutely and totally irrelevant to being able to feel empathy with/for someone or some people by imagining what it must be like to be in their situation, by imagining yourself in their place and imagining what your thoughts and feelings would be if you were experiencing the same thing or things they are.

Are you now going to declare that there's no such thing as imagining because what one imagines won't be totally 100% accurate?

I certainly don't doubt that you can and probably do imagine all that. I question the second part of the definition in which you experience "all the sensations" of the other unfortunate person.

The term empathy originated in psychology (translation of a German term, c. 1903) and has now come to mean the ability to imagine or project oneself into another person's position and experience all the sensations involved in that position. [dictionary.reference.com]

1: the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it

2: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this [www.merriam-webster.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 05:43AM by Curt Anderson.
February 17, 2015 05:53AM
I question the second part of the definition in which you experience "all the sensations" of the other unfortunate person. - Curt

So do Ponderer and I.
February 17, 2015 06:00AM
Hornswoggle
I question the second part of the definition in which you experience "all the sensations" of the other unfortunate person. - Curt

So do Ponderer and I.

So you two are coming around to my point of view. Good. In other words, you two by definition have sympathy: "The fact or power of sharing the feelings of another, especially in sorrow or trouble" [dictionary.reference.com]
February 17, 2015 06:03AM
There was no "coming around". Ponderer and I have been saying this throughout the entire conversation.

I subscribe to the first part of Merriam-Webster's definition:

"the feeling that you understand and share another person's experiences and emotions"

which you get through mentally putting yourself in the other person's shoes.

That doesn't necessarily mean that you really are sharing that person's exact emotions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 06:04AM by Hornswoggle.
Sam
February 17, 2015 06:22AM
Curt, Re: "So you think a person can be empathetic about somebody's misfortune but NOT sympathetic. Seriously? Without referencing the NBA finals, I'd like to hear another example."

An empathetic person can feel another person's joy as well as sorrow so no sympathy involved. Did I miss the definition that mentions "misfortune"?
February 17, 2015 06:25AM
Hornswoggle
There was no "coming around". Ponderer and I have been saying this throughout the entire conversation.

I subscribe to the first part of Merriam-Webster's definition:

"the feeling that you understand and share another person's experiences and emotions"

which you get through mentally putting yourself in the other person's shoes.

That doesn't necessarily mean that you really are sharing that person's exact emotions.

As long as you use the definition that it's merely a "feeling that you understand and share", then I agree that you can be empathetic.

For me, being sympathetic is sufficient, I don't need to imagine that I am sharing their experiences and emotions. I know that I can and do feel badly and sorry for misfortunate people.
February 17, 2015 06:43AM
Sam
Curt, Re: "So you think a person can be empathetic about somebody's misfortune but NOT sympathetic. Seriously? Without referencing the NBA finals, I'd like to hear another example."

An empathetic person can feel another person's joy as well as sorrow so no sympathy involved. Did I miss the definition that mentions "misfortune"?

From what I read of this thread we were discussing empathy and empathetic in regards to people who are suffering. Furthermore, the "-pathy" and "-pathetic" parts of the words comes from pathos, which is a root of pity. But I agree that empathy can be broadened to relate to more joyful emotions. But so too has sympathy and sympathetic been broadened to include joyful emotions. If you are using the broader definition of one word, you should use the broader definition of the other word.
February 17, 2015 06:57AM
Watching Curt try to wrap his head around this concept is like watching a fish debate whether or not there is such thing as dry land.

February 17, 2015 07:06AM
I find the military process interesting. Military personnel are trained not to empathize with those they are attacking, a way of dehumanizing the other. Then when they attack people and are suppressing empathy, the empathy response also subtley must kick in and they must find themselves repressing it as the adrenaline kicks in. Then years later the traumatic experience leads to cognitive dissonance as they experience competing and conflicting values and have to deal with them but are often unable to.

It's interesting that given empathogens military personal suffering from PTSD have had very positive responses in them helping them deal with such inner struggles. They seem to allow a common understanding which frees them of such inner torment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 07:07AM by Kairos.
February 17, 2015 07:14AM
"I certainly don't doubt that you can and probably do imagine all that. I question the second part of the definition in which you experience "all the sensations" of the other unfortunate person." -Curt

The term empathy originated in psychology (translation of a German term, c. 1903) and has now come to mean the ability to imagine or project oneself into another person's position and experience all the sensations involved in that position.

1: the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it

2: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this

I have no problems with any of that. And yet I can still feel empathy.

Let's say there is a family of Afghans whose home was hit by drone missiles from the U.S. and it turns out that they were all completely innocent of any wrongdoing. One young boy is the only surviving member, the rest of his family is blown to bits.

I have never had this happen to me. I don't know anyone personally who has had this happen to them. I am not psychic and able to read the mind of that boy. But I can imagine myself in his position. I can imagine such a thing happening to me at his age, even though I'm in my mid fifties, and I would subsequently have feelings and emotions that would arise simply from imagining myself in that situation. Would I be having the exact same feelings and emotions that the Afghan boy is? Would I know exactly what he is thinking? Of course I wouldn't. But humans are not all that different. There is a huge amount of feelings and reactions that are pretty much universal in certain situations and people would be quite likely to have similar thoughts and feelings about them. If asked what he was thinking and feeling, it would be extremely likely that he would be feeling abject sorrow, inconsolable misery and even hopelessness. It would even be likely that he would feel angry towards those responsible for his family's death to some degree or other. Can I declare that I know the exact levels and amounts to which he feels these things? Of course I can't. Am I experiencing "all the sensations", thoughts and feelings exactly as he is? Of course I'm not. But imagining myself in his position, or empathizing with him in that position, naturally brings about certain sensations, thoughts and feelings in me to one degree or another. Feelings I am quite fortunate in being able to get over rather quickly since I am not actually in that situation. I don't care that if you hooked me and that boy up to EKG machines that our brain waves would not be in perfect sync. It doesn't matter. I was still empathizing with him.

Maybe, unbeknownst to anyone, he actually hated his whole family. Maybe they all mistreated and abused him and even tortured him. Maybe he was actually happy that they were all killed. Maybe he had been kidnapped from another family and he's glad he can return to his real family now. Maybe all the feelings I was having when I empathized with him in that situation were totally wrong in his case and didn't match what he was thinking or feeling at all. Maybe he's the one exception to what almost anyone else in that situation would think and feel.

So what? Empathy does not have to be perfect to exist. It doesn't have to be omniscient and unrealistically godlike or there's no such thing.

Empathy is about feeling. It's not about knowing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!