Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.

The job of the Biden campaign is simple, and Trump is helping.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Empathy - An Old Fashioned Notion Whose Time Has Passed?

Posted by Ponderer 
Sam
Re: Empathy - An Old Fashioned Notion Whose Time Has Passed?
February 12, 2015 05:59PM
People have run out of fukks to give. When people don't feel cared about they don't care about others. It's sad and unfortunate but not surprising. That said, how do you know people don't care?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 06:12PM by Sam.
Sam
February 12, 2015 06:11PM
Fiddler, We both know I always attack ideas first and when the butthurt flares I get personally attacked and then the fest is on. If I say something about "you agnogs" that is not personal but you seem to take it that way and get pissy and go all emoticon. You should be embarrassed but you have no shame. I suppose if I say "your beliefs are retarded" you think I'm saying you are retarded. That may well be true but it isn't what I said. Try to look at the bigger picture if you can. I don't even know you but I do know you are prickly when it comes to criticism and maybe I should be easier on you since I know you are fragile that way but I don't really care how you feel or really care that much about you as a person. I'm here to discuss interesting ideas and always sorry when it dissolves into this kind of immature indiocy. You are an expert at pushing buttons which makes you nothing more or less than a manipulative asshole who is trying to distract from any discussion at hand so you can make yourself feel better. This is not a put down but an honest observation based on my experiences here with you. You think I suck as a person and I think the same about you. How about we avoid each other? I'm enjoying being here for the time being so can we just bury the hatchet or at least ignore one another?
February 12, 2015 06:51PM
We often create the perceptions others have of us.
Sam
February 12, 2015 07:02PM
Yeah, I guess I should have never put up pics of myself or told anything about my profession. I set myself up for ridicule. Ohwell, can't put hemorrhoid cream back in the tube. Rather just pretend assholes don't exist.
February 12, 2015 07:24PM
I wasn't even thinking about photos you've posted or your profession. I'm referring to our online demeanors. People get a sense of who others are from the manner in which they discuss things online - the personalities they present.
Sam
February 12, 2015 07:48PM
Yes, and what? Personalities clash. Why does this matter to those not involved in the clash?

I just say what's on my mind and I feel comfortable being brutally honest here. In fact, the brutal part is fun but I do try to keep it directed at ideas and not people. Few people in my RL can take it so I'm not normally that honest when dealing with people on a daily basis. Normally when someone gets a good cut in on me, I admire their creativity or spot on assessment of me and can have fun with it. I don't mind laughing at myself or admitting when I fail at something or am just wrong. That is never a problem for me. Having to deal with an indiot who fancies himself some god of what? Indyana? Not so much. It's not what he says about me that I can't stand. It's what kind of person he is to stoop to some of the @#$%& he does that I can't stand.
February 12, 2015 10:59PM
eye rolling smiley

Emoticons are really all one needs to debate some people.
Sam
February 13, 2015 12:21AM
Yep, when you're too stupid to know which words to use and too emotional to deal with people who challenge you on your incoherent offerings in a mature manner. Indyana jonesing for attention. Even negative attention is better than none, right? hehe
February 13, 2015 12:51AM
"Even negative attention is better than none, right?"

Bingo. The story of Indy's entire existence on this board.
February 13, 2015 12:59AM
Yep, no personal attack there.

"Stupid" is you undermining yourself with every post.

The emoticon is superfluous. smoking smiley
February 13, 2015 01:05AM
Sam
February 13, 2015 01:08AM
Navy, And most likely the story of Indy's entire existence period. He should go back over to the sportsballing board where his (snicker) expertise is needed.

And if anyone needs proof that he's an attention whore just look how he writes his name with a ! tada at the end. omfg lmfao

Still lmao. Let's see what he does when we don't talk to him. I bet he finds me a song, too, hehe...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2015 01:13AM by Sam.
February 15, 2015 07:48AM
The notion may be old fashioned, but the word "empathy" was coined by the psychologist Edward Titchener in 1909. [en.wikipedia.org] I realize that empathy is supposedly different from sympathy, but they are basically the same thing. The real difference is in the person being sympathetic/empathetic assessment of themselves. The empathic person is engaging in one-upsmanship, saying they are more than sympathetic about another person's misfortune. Like Bill Clinton, they "feel your pain".

"White power! White power!" --Demented Racist Donald Trump

Sam
February 15, 2015 08:01AM
I think of sympathy as feeling sorry for someone and empathy as being able to feel whatever someone else is feeling.
February 15, 2015 09:16AM
That's how I perceive the difference between the two words as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!