Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Empathy - An Old Fashioned Notion Whose Time Has Passed?

Posted by Ponderer 
Sam
Re: Empathy - An Old Fashioned Notion Whose Time Has Passed?
February 12, 2015 07:48PM
Yes, and what? Personalities clash. Why does this matter to those not involved in the clash?

I just say what's on my mind and I feel comfortable being brutally honest here. In fact, the brutal part is fun but I do try to keep it directed at ideas and not people. Few people in my RL can take it so I'm not normally that honest when dealing with people on a daily basis. Normally when someone gets a good cut in on me, I admire their creativity or spot on assessment of me and can have fun with it. I don't mind laughing at myself or admitting when I fail at something or am just wrong. That is never a problem for me. Having to deal with an indiot who fancies himself some god of what? Indyana? Not so much. It's not what he says about me that I can't stand. It's what kind of person he is to stoop to some of the @#$%& he does that I can't stand.
February 12, 2015 10:59PM
eye rolling smiley

Emoticons are really all one needs to debate some people.
Sam
February 13, 2015 12:21AM
Yep, when you're too stupid to know which words to use and too emotional to deal with people who challenge you on your incoherent offerings in a mature manner. Indyana jonesing for attention. Even negative attention is better than none, right? hehe
February 13, 2015 12:51AM
"Even negative attention is better than none, right?"

Bingo. The story of Indy's entire existence on this board.
February 13, 2015 12:59AM
Yep, no personal attack there.

"Stupid" is you undermining yourself with every post.

The emoticon is superfluous. smoking smiley
February 13, 2015 01:05AM
Sam
February 13, 2015 01:08AM
Navy, And most likely the story of Indy's entire existence period. He should go back over to the sportsballing board where his (snicker) expertise is needed.

And if anyone needs proof that he's an attention whore just look how he writes his name with a ! tada at the end. omfg lmfao

Still lmao. Let's see what he does when we don't talk to him. I bet he finds me a song, too, hehe...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2015 01:13AM by Sam.
February 15, 2015 07:48AM
The notion may be old fashioned, but the word "empathy" was coined by the psychologist Edward Titchener in 1909. [en.wikipedia.org] I realize that empathy is supposedly different from sympathy, but they are basically the same thing. The real difference is in the person being sympathetic/empathetic assessment of themselves. The empathic person is engaging in one-upsmanship, saying they are more than sympathetic about another person's misfortune. Like Bill Clinton, they "feel your pain".
Sam
February 15, 2015 08:01AM
I think of sympathy as feeling sorry for someone and empathy as being able to feel whatever someone else is feeling.
February 15, 2015 09:16AM
That's how I perceive the difference between the two words as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!
February 15, 2015 09:43AM
Sam
I think of sympathy as feeling sorry for someone and empathy as being able to feel whatever someone else is feeling.

I understand the definitions, but I sincerely doubt that a person can really know, much less feel, what another person is feeling. A person can maybe relate or recall a similar incident, but our feelings are uniquely our own. It's presumptuous to say one knows the depth of another person's despair or the nature of their sorrow.
February 15, 2015 12:07PM
"I understand the definitions, but I sincerely doubt that a person can really know, much less feel, what another person is feeling." -Curt

That's as may be.

But empathy is about trying anyway.
Sam
February 15, 2015 03:56PM
For some it's about trying NOT to.
February 15, 2015 08:15PM
I think it's easy to fool people who are merely reading words on an internet BBS. Common sense says anyone who can write halfway decent fiction can pretend to be empathetic or sympathetic while actually being neither.

Or vice versa.
February 15, 2015 09:46PM
"I understand the definitions, but I sincerely doubt that a person can really know, much less feel, what another person is feeling."

I guess some people never have certain inner faculties activated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 15, 2015 09:55PM
Kairos
"I understand the definitions, but I sincerely doubt that a person can really know, much less feel, what another person is feeling."

I guess some people never have certain inner faculties activated.

I guess some people will think they have the clairvoyant ability to know what another person is feeling.
February 15, 2015 10:11PM
And some people will think that since it's impossible to know what others actually think and feel, who gives a f*ck what they think and feel.

Again, empathy is not about knowing what others are feeling. It's about actually considering what they are feeling regardless of what it actually is. Imagining yourself in their position, what you would feel. One should have some "knowledge" of that at least.

February 15, 2015 10:19PM
I guess some people will think they have the clairvoyant ability to know what another person is feeling.

I don't think it even takes a particular degree of perceptiveness to perceive what a person is feeling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 10:21PM by Kairos.
February 15, 2015 10:24PM
Ponderer
And some people will think that since it's impossible to know what others actually think and feel, who gives a f*ck what they think and feel.

Again, empathy is not about knowing what others are feeling. It's about actually considering what they are feeling regardless of what it actually is. Imagining yourself in their position, what you would feel. One should have some "knowledge" of that at least.

Sympathy is derived from Greek words meaning with and feeling. Empathy is an ostentatious and presumptuous step beyond.
February 15, 2015 10:34PM
If the idea wasn't valid - we wouldn't have a word for it, Curt.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!