Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Thoughts on God/Purpose

Posted by TheThorn 
Re: Thoughts on God/Purpose
February 05, 2015 07:29PM
I've never got the sense that anyone here hates atheists.
February 05, 2015 08:10PM
"On a personal note, I don't know how to withhold judgment. My brain does what it does and it always leans toward the claim that makes the most sense to me or that is mathematically most likely."---Sam

I thought it might be something like that. Our brains are wired differently! I don't have a problem withholding judgement when there is insufficient information available at that time. What I was trying to do with the examples I gave, the apples and oranges, and the casita, was an attempt to get you to experience something similar to what I experience when asked if I believe whether something is true or false when I have insufficient information to justify either belief. However, if I'm understanding you correctly, experiencing that that would not be possible for you. sad smiley
Sam
February 05, 2015 08:36PM
tuk, So you've admitted that you believe the statement "God is unnecessary" is true according to science (rational belief) but you also believe the same statement is false according to your philosophy (faith)?

I think you are the atheist hater here, lol. If you want to be clearer in the future you might say "atheistic haters" instead. The movement in America is towards nonbelief in the existence of any gods. You are being Left Behind.
February 05, 2015 09:44PM
Wow - 35% of the scientists refuse to adhere to theism OR atheism - the majority by far. Damn that must hurt the "critical thinkers" among us. LOL! smiling smiley

================================================

Navy2711
Indy,

"mental jumping jacks"

... is a conveeenient label that you just put on a concept that you don't understand and don't want to think about too hard.

Ahhhhh... the old "Indy is an idiot" standby. The convenient fallback position whenever Indy sticks his pin in one of the big empty balloons created by someone on the board. A position that falls especially hard on it's face this time around since I agreed with you.

Oooops. smoking smiley
Sam
February 05, 2015 10:28PM
Isle, Not sure if it's possible for me or not. I think the main diff between your brain and mine on existence claims is that I believe the absence of evidence for existence IS evidence of nonexistence and along with the scientific fact that gods are unnecessary to explain anything in the universe I believe it is more likely that gods don't exist.
February 05, 2015 11:11PM
No evidence is evidence? Have you alerted the police? Because that information might help them solve a lot of open cases.
Sam
February 05, 2015 11:19PM
[rationalwiki.org] Why can't you wrap your brain around this?
February 06, 2015 01:48AM
Absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence unless there is good reason to believe otherwise.
February 06, 2015 02:34AM
Necessity is a technical word both in science and philosophy. Theology is compatible with science, but science cannot be theological... Science is methodical and God is not a function of that method.
February 06, 2015 02:44AM
tuk22
Absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence unless there is good reason to believe otherwise.

And there is very good reason to "believe otherwise" in the case of God's alleged existence, correct, tuk?
Sam
February 06, 2015 03:03AM
He didn't understand the wiki article.
February 06, 2015 03:15AM
If that were true it would be easy for you to prove we live in a world absent of God. It's not like someone telling us there were 12 monkeys locked in a room for 24 hours and we open the door to see no evidence of monkeys...lol

While you are here I would like to know why you think evolution is evil... I get that vibe from you... That you want to humanize natural processes using terms like cold and unforgiving... Indifferent... why does the natural world scare you so much?
February 06, 2015 03:18AM
" ... I agreed with you." - Indy

Oh, Indy. You would need to understand what I was saying for you to "agree" with it, no? Isn't that self-evident?? And clearly you didn't.

Here, let me provide you with something we can both agree on: You should stick to pondering the depths of philosophical conundrums no deeper than "Marshawn Lynch or crazy slant pass." Your commentary won't be any more accurate, but you won't look so far in over your head.
February 06, 2015 03:57AM
Navy - I'm just going to say it from now on... it's time to stop digging. The hole you're standing in is big enough.

=======================================================

The good news, Navy? It's obvious you're not the only one on the board who's overly impressed with their imagined intellectual prowess...

(From Sam's link...)

"There are a few caveats to take into account to refine what a lack of supporting evidence says about a hypothesis. Absence of evidence is not necessarily strong evidence that outright disproves the hypothesis in the way that an observation that contradicts the hypothesis would be."
February 06, 2015 04:24AM
It's a fallacy to say we have no evidence to prove something is false so it must be true and we have no evidence to prove something is true therefore it must be false. Sometimes the rational thing to do is just say I don't know... There is insufficient evidence.

This seems clearly the case when talking about metaphysical foundations, ET's, and other philosophical concepts.
Sam
February 06, 2015 05:27AM
I already said "albeit weak" evidence. Catch up, Indy. Weak evidence vs. no evidence and I'm going with the weak. Belief vs. knowledge, I guess to some there is no difference. All you proud know nothing crows stay on the fence. None of this really matters, right? Just try to keep your culty religious brethren from fukking with my right to freedom from delusion, I mean, religion in the public arena, could you at least do that? You do seem to speak their language pretty well and maybe they will listen to you. So long and thanks for all the fish!

(Oh, and thx especially to you Londoners. I appreciate it!)
February 06, 2015 06:25AM
You're the one who keeps bringing it up, Sam. You're fukking with OUR right to freedom from delusion.
February 06, 2015 08:24AM
Indy,

"Navy - I'm just going to say it ... "

What's that, something about the actual topic? Nope. Not for three or four posts in a row now. That's because you jumped in way over your head.

Called it!

smoking smiley
February 06, 2015 09:04AM
You're just mad everyone dropped your "purpose as illusion" tangent as soon as convenience allowed. You should be thanking me for keeping it alive an extra post or two. smoking smiley
February 06, 2015 09:28AM
... or six. And counting.

smoking smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!