Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"Blurring the lines is an act of faithfulness"

Posted by Kairos 
Re: "Blurring the lines is an act of faithfulness"
November 19, 2014 07:22PM
Not sure I understand the difference - no matter which period or whether fantasy or not, religion is still clearly represented in the Christmas/holiday trappings. That was the original point - that religion was represented on ST.

Out of curiosity, I revisited the scene via Youtube...

[www.youtube.com]

It's clearly a fantasy, but also taking place (as least in some respects) in Picard's time. There are all kinds of contemporary electric doodads around the house - lights on the tree, etc.. and the boy's present is a model fighter jet. The bigger question for me? Why does everyone - including Picard - have a pronounced British accent when he allegedly grew up in France?
November 19, 2014 09:38PM
I don't think that whole scenario was very well thought out. It came across as Picard wishing he lived in a Dickens novel.

November 19, 2014 09:58PM
Picard is named after a French astronomer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!
November 20, 2014 01:27AM
I'm almost positive he talks about growing up in France at different points throughout the series.

I agree Pondy - most of that movie was ill conceived imho.
November 28, 2014 08:01AM
There is also a region of France called Picardy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 28, 2014 12:19PM
Kairos
Can anyone even come close to making sense out of that schizoid statement? (apology to schizophrenics). That was written on the daily sign outside the local church. Keep in mind this the place where people actually vote here...

Doesn't blurring the lines mean snorting cocaine? Or does the phrase have some other meaning I don't know about?
November 28, 2014 12:32PM
Never heard it used in that context before. Blurring the lines means making everything fuzzy and uncertain.

November 28, 2014 08:49PM
The lines don't blur when you snort cocaine - they disappear up your nose.
November 29, 2014 12:49AM
Yeah that's what I thought.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!