Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.

The job of the Biden campaign is simple, and Trump is helping.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dawkins says it's immoral not to abort DS babies...

Posted by tuk22 
Re: Dawkins says it's immoral not to abort DS babies...
August 24, 2014 05:01AM
tuk22 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Moron, everyone who has moral beliefs ought to
> defend them... otherwise, what's the point in
> having them?

Yes, douchebag - DEFEND THEM - not ram them down everyone else's throats. It's only the religious wingnuts like yourself who do that.

> Ummm, absolutely... Mr. 'I don't understand
> logical implications'...

Ummm - again, no. There is no logical implication that ALL DS babies should be aborted because ONE woman might do it. Except in your obviously barely functioning mind.

> Richard Dawkins ✔ @RichardDawkins
> Follow
> @InYourFaceNYer Abort it and try again. It would
> be immoral to bring it into the world if you have
> the choice.

Good idea - in the future, rather than putting your own twisted, wholly ridiculous and clueless spin on someone else's word - I suggest you QUOTE them as you just did here. Even someone with the lowered mental expectations like yourself should have no problem when it comes to copying and pasting.

> The scientist Richard Dawkins has become embroiled
> in another Twitter row, claiming it would be
> “immoral” to carry on with a pregnancy if the
> mother knew the foetus had Down’s syndrome...
>
> This implies Dawkins believes it is a moral good
> to abort the fetus if it's tested positive for
> having DS... IOW, Dawkins believes all expecting
> mothers should abort their child if the child is
> tested positive for DS. IOW it means Dawkins does
> not value the life of DS kids... At all...

One step forward - two steps back. That's why you're a wingnut - you belong in the slow lane.

> Dawkins said IF... SHE... was pregnant and morally
> confused by the situation, abortion is an option.
>
> Show me where he said it was an option!

Sorry Tuk, I forgot the trouble you have with the English language - it requires a small intellectual leap to get there. Dawkins tweeted: “Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world if you have the choice.”

choice [chois] Spell Syllables
noun
1. an act or instance of choosing; selection:
2. the right, power, or opportunity to choose; option:
3. the person or thing chosen or eligible to be chosen :
4. an alternative:
There is another choice.

[dictionary.reference.com]

This board is SO in need of a dictionary feature.

> Dawkins later defended his view, saying he would
> not apologise “for approaching moral philosophic
> questions in a logical way”.

Translation: STFU and mind your own business, Tuk.

> From the DSA...
>
> The Down’s Syndrome Association (DSA) issued a
> response to Dawkins’s initial comment....

LOL! Yes - because if people start aborting DS kids, somebody might be out of business. Are you really that dense? eye rolling smiley

> Don't argue freedom with me you POS! I defend
> freedom! You only defend it when it suits your
> needs...

Says the guy who is NOT defending the woman's right to choose. Irony is obviously lost on the dimwitted. smoking smiley
August 24, 2014 03:31PM
"Pondy wrote, 'I guess I shouldn't be allowed to agree with anything else he has ever said about anything. sad smiley'

Who said that? It's your choice... I'm sure Hitler made good arguments in his lifetime..."
-tuk

Well...! If Dawkins is comparable to Hitler now, then I really gotta stop agreeing with whatever he says. Thanks for the heads up, tuk!

August 24, 2014 07:59PM
Indy he clearly states if given a choice the parents should choose to abort! He actually believes it's a moral imperative to abort because he equates a DS fetus with a cancerous tumor... It's abortion as a means to prevent birth defects... It's Dawkins idea of preventive medicine and it's totally absurd.

It's not rational to claim a particular quality of life for all people with DS, so to say would be parents have the moral obligation to abort is wrong.
August 24, 2014 08:04PM
And instead of sharing a completely justified moral outrage, you defend that POS...

Unbelievable!
August 24, 2014 08:36PM
Not worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 08:36PM by Indy!.
August 24, 2014 09:34PM
tuk: If you're carrying a fetus that you know has a severe developmental condition like Down's Syndrome, do you think that you should be able to abort it?
August 24, 2014 09:50PM
If I remember correctly, most Down Syndrome children get that way because the mother is drinking alcohol while pregnant. So perhaps the mother is the one who should be aborted.
August 24, 2014 09:54PM
You're thinking of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. The probability of a baby born with DS increases significantly in women over 40.
August 24, 2014 10:02PM
Indy! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I remember correctly, most Down Syndrome
> children get that way because the mother is
> drinking alcohol while pregnant. So perhaps the
> mother is the one who should be aborted.

What!!! Down Syndrome is a genetic disorder!

Maddie
August 24, 2014 10:09PM
Horns,

I'm pro choice... It's the parents decision...
August 24, 2014 11:24PM
My mistake. Good thing Indy is a graphic designer and not a doctor. smoking smiley
August 25, 2014 05:29AM
Admit it Indy... You assumed I was pro life, didn't you? You also assumed I'm religious... I'm not, I just defend what I believe to be good and charitable...

And I know a lot about DS...

Many public resources go to people with disabilities. In the case of people with downs their life expectancy is now around 60 due to medical advancements. The severity of their condition determines the amount of financial assistance required... It's not an easy decision for parents at all...

Downs kids need immediate care... The first years of their lives require physical speech and language therapy. Without this treatment and education most would not be able to care for themselves during adulthood...

Abortion is not preventative medicine. It can be a medically necessary procedure but for what we are discussing it's called elective surgery. I don't mind insurers covering it, making it elective, but to mandate it it's nonsense and reeks of special interest dickering... Abortion was always covered for medically necessary reasons... It's not a procedure to prevent birth defects. A true preventative measure would be something like treatment to stop crack whores from smoking while pregnant.

Dawkins.doesn't believe in choice here, and regardless of the health related risks, we know many people with DS live healthy, rewarding, and socially valuable lives!

That's not in question!

So yeah, I believe the moral outrage is absolutely justified and do not think his belief is morally defensible...

And I would like some consistency with the new atheists... Nobody should be defending Dawkins here...
August 25, 2014 06:41AM
How do you know that Dawkins doesn't believe in choice regarding aborting a fetus with DS? As I tried to illustrate with my example, it's possible to believe that something is immoral and to also believe in choice.

Saying that knowingly giving birth to a baby with Down's Syndrome is immoral is not the same thing as suggesting that there should be a law requiring mandatory abortion for fetuses with Down's Syndrome.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 06:42AM by Hornswoggle.
August 25, 2014 07:15AM
Choice as in pro-choice... He doesn't believe a women should choose life. She has a moral obligation to abort the fetus, and it's clearly not a defensible moral belief knowing some DS individuals are happy and productive members of society... We have pro life and pro choice, both understandable and defensible IMO... Dawkins is arguing pro-death...
August 25, 2014 07:21AM
Dawkins is no more "pro death" than my old Christian friend would said she would abort her fetus if it had a severe developmental abnormality.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!