Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dawkins says it's immoral not to abort DS babies...

Posted by tuk22 
Re: Dawkins says it's immoral not to abort DS babies...
September 10, 2014 01:13AM
Arguing for free markets, personal responsibility, social liberties, unnecessary government regulation... - tuk

Just about all Americans support those things, even people who are extremely liberal like myself. The devil is in the details. For example, conservatives' idea of a free market excludes labor unions, and they're opposed to any regulation that impacts profit.
September 10, 2014 02:38AM
"Personal responsibility"? Beyond lip service I don't see any conservatives actively promoting that ideal.

Libertarians are worse than conservatives - basically boils down to the "I've got mine" philosophy.
September 10, 2014 07:57AM
It isn't a coincidence that libertarians are almost always young White males.
September 10, 2014 09:18AM
"Many"... I meant "many" - not "any".

Freudian slip. smiling smiley
September 10, 2014 06:18PM
Horns,

It's a racist philosophy? thumbs down
September 10, 2014 06:26PM
Libertarianism does not have a large market share within current politics... It's popularity is rising among college students wanting social freedom and economic conservatism, and it's not consistent with the amount of government involvement in any particular issue.
September 10, 2014 06:32PM
conservatives' idea of a free market excludes labor unions, and they're opposed to any regulation that impacts profit.

I'm not against it per se. Labor unions are important AND can be a problem... It entirely depends on how the union is managed and what its goals are...
September 10, 2014 08:03PM
So you want approval on that one too. Like abortions. I see. Doesn't sound very "libertarian" to me, Tuk.
September 12, 2014 07:25AM
It's a racist philosophy? - tuk

No. It just seems to be comprised overwhelmingly by young White males. And I think that's because young White males seem to be more prone to I got mine-ism.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2014 08:09AM by Hornswoggle.
September 15, 2014 09:14PM
That isn't a thing... Wanting less government involvement doesn't imply one is not charitable...

Libertarianism isn’t confined to caucasians anymore. The Pew Research Center recently released a study on who in America describes themselves as libertarian while being able to accurately identify what the label actually means. Of the total demographic, 12 percent of respondents who identified as libertarian were white, unsurprisingly the largest demographic population. However, Hispanics self-identified as libertarian at almost the same rate, 11 percent. By comparison, only three percent of blacks fell into the same category (other demographics were not included in the final results). Libertarians also tend to be young; Millennials are the largest group of libertarians, with the Silent Generation making up the smallest.

[townhall.com]
September 16, 2014 11:26PM
The Pew Research numbers actually support exactly what we're saying - the majority are male, white and well off. Are there some Hispanics and some folks who make less than $30K? Sure - just like there are some black Repubs. The majority however - are exactly as Hornsy and I described them... young white males who are relatively well off. Don't go to the middle man - go to the source...

[www.pewresearch.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 11:30PM by Indy!.
September 16, 2014 11:31PM
BTW... Townhall? And you still claim you're not a wingnut? eye rolling smiley
September 16, 2014 11:41PM
The majority however - are exactly as Hornsy and I described them... young white males who are relatively well off. - Indy

Yep.

September 18, 2014 07:08PM
So we are going to just gloss over the fact that Hispanics self-identify as libertarian at about the same rate and still call it a 'white-boys' club? thumbs down
September 18, 2014 07:09PM
Also more than half who identify themselves as libertarian make less than $75,000.
September 18, 2014 07:13PM
Keep poisoning the well, that's pretty much all you can do now to stop the rise of libertarianism. Or keep promising social welfare programs that we can't pay for... eye rolling smiley
September 18, 2014 07:18PM
It's a lie that we "can't" pay for social programs. We could easily pay for social programs. It's a matter of priorities. The U.S. spends less on social services as a percentage of its GDP than any other industrialized nation. And that's because our government has been taken over by plutocrats and corporations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2014 12:49AM by Hornswoggle.
September 18, 2014 07:26PM
A. Nobody called it a "white-boy's club" except you.

B. That's one way to look at it. The other way is $75K is about 50% higher than the average wage for a male in America right now.

C. The "rise of libertarianism"? ... snicker... If that ever actually occurs, the first thing that's going to happen is you're going to realize very fast that you are nothing more than a garden variety Republican... NOT a libertarian.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!