Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dawkins says it's immoral not to abort DS babies...

Posted by tuk22 
Dawkins says it's immoral not to abort DS babies...
August 22, 2014 09:52PM
[www.theguardian.com]

The scientist Richard Dawkins has become embroiled in another Twitter row, claiming it would be “immoral” to carry on with a pregnancy if the mother knew the foetus had Down’s syndrome...

Idiot doesn't know what the word 'immoral' means or he's clueless about DS and should keep his pie hole shut...
Re: Dawkins says it's immoral not to abort DS babies...
August 22, 2014 10:07PM
Like most "moral" arguments - everyone has a different definition of the word. That's what the religious folks will never understand - it's not about what THEY believe - it's about what the person involved in the situation believes. That is the very basis of this country and the idea of being "free". Religious folks do not have the right (and certainly not the "moral authority" eye rolling smiley) to tell anyone what to do.
August 22, 2014 10:13PM
What fuked up concept of morality does not include valuing DS babies?
August 22, 2014 10:19PM
Lol at Indy promoting freedom and making arguments that support limiting procreation of poor people... Liberalism rots the brain
August 22, 2014 11:04PM
LOL at Tuk for never being able to argue the facts. Perhaps that's because the facts are always against him...?

Like "babies" and "fetuses" being two totally different things?

Like Indy never once mentioning or alluding to "poor people"?

I would say thanks however for offering your support to my original point...

"That's what the religious folks will never understand - it's not about what THEY believe - it's about what the person involved in the situation believes."
August 22, 2014 11:14PM
That's right I forgot... If you are having a baby it's called a baby... Eg come feel the baby kick! If you plan on having an abortion it's a fetus...
August 23, 2014 12:19AM
I see... So in Wingnut World as long as someone mistakenly calls a fetus a "baby" - that makes it true?

That certainly would explain all the "qualified" candidates you guys keep nominating for public office.

PS: And thanks for doubling down on the support for my original statement. smoking smiley
August 23, 2014 01:46AM
I knew someone who was born with severe cerebral palsy which bounded her to a wheelchair. She couldn't talk, and when she moved her arms or legs they flailed around uncontrollably. I used to bowl in a league with her parents and they always brought her along to watch; that's how I knew her. Anyhow, I used to be close friends with her older sister, who was a devout Christian and very active in our church, and she said that if she were ever pregnant with a fetus who was certain to be born with a severe handicap like her sister she would abort it.

Almost everyone agrees that in most situations things like theft and murder are wrong, but outside of those things the question of whether something is right or wrong isn't so clear cut.
August 23, 2014 04:01AM
I'm not making an argument that abortion is always wrong, I'm saying Dawkins is the devil if he thinks all DS babies should be aborted... There is no grey area with that nonsense, he clearly thinks people with DS have no value...
August 23, 2014 07:29AM
You are totally missing the point, Tuk. No one is saying (or even mildly suggesting) that people with Down's have no value. You need to separate the two ideas.
August 23, 2014 07:49AM
Missing what point? Your fantasy discussion between you and whatever you want the topic to be?

Read the fuking quote! Dawkins wants to abort all DS babies for the moral good of society...it's immoral to have DS babies? Really? Really? What kind of pos says something as evil and moronic as that? Only a dipshit atheist fuktard that clearly does not value the life of DS kids... That's who...
August 23, 2014 09:43AM
I think it's immoral to end an apparently healthy pregnancy that wasn't the result of rape, but that doesn't mean that I want to save all fetuses in that situation. While I personally think it would be immoral, I also believe the woman should make that decision, and if she decides to abort the fetus, can have it performed at a medical facility.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 09:46AM by Hornswoggle.
August 23, 2014 04:36PM
I think that Dawkins goes too far with that opinion. It's an opinion that I would never try to defend. But now that he's stated it and I'm against it, I guess I shouldn't be allowed to agree with anything else he has ever said about anything. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 04:38PM by Ponderer.
August 23, 2014 08:03PM
tuk22 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Missing what point? Your fantasy discussion
> between you and whatever you want the topic to be?

Yes - you're missing the point. Because like all pompous religious folks - you think your moral standards should be the moral standard for everyone.

> Read the fuking quote! Dawkins wants to abort all
> DS babies for the moral good of society...it's
> immoral to have DS babies? Really? Really?

Ummm... no, not really. Dawkins never said - nor suggested - anything of the sort. The NON-mother (who isn't even pregnant) suggested SHE would be facing a "moral dilemma" IF - that's IF - she were pregnant with a DS child. NO ONE IS PREGNANT. NO ONE IS GETTING AN ABORTION. Dawkins said IF... SHE... was pregnant and morally confused by the situation, abortion is an option. He did NOT say (nor suggest) he wanted "to abort all DS babies for the good of society". That is a freakin' fantasy you created in your own twisted little wingnutty overzealous religious nutjob sorry ass excuse for a brain.

What
> kind of pos says something as evil and moronic as
> that?

If we are limiting our scope to what Dawkins and the people in this thread have proclaimed - only you. smoking smiley

Only a dipshit atheist fuktard that clearly
> does not value the life of DS kids... That's
> who...

FINALLY you're catching on. Richard Dawkins... and YOU... are TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE. With TWO DIFFERENT moral standards. That is the beauty of living in a country and a world where people are FREE. Everyone doesn't have to listen to religious fruitcakes like yourself and their weird, twisted version of "morality". Dawkins has HIS moral code and YOU have yours. They can cross and overlap in some areas - and be totally divergent in others. Abortion is legal - Dawkins is merely suggesting a MEDICAL PROCEDURE to solve the woman's HYPOTHETICAL "moral dilemma". He is NOT - in any way - saying "abort all DS babies for the good of society". That is all you, Tuk - nobody else.
August 23, 2014 10:50PM
Pondy wrote, I guess I shouldn't be allowed to agree with anything else he has ever said about anything. sad smiley

Who said that? It's your choice... I'm sure Hitler made good arguments in his lifetime...

Indy wrote, Yes - you're missing the point. Because like all pompous religious folks - you think your moral standards should be the moral standard for everyone.

Moron, everyone who has moral beliefs ought to defend them... otherwise, what's the point in having them?

Ummm... no, not really.

Ummm, absolutely... Mr. 'I don't understand logical implications'...

Dawkins never said - nor suggested - anything of the sort.

Richard Dawkins ✔ @RichardDawkins
Follow
@InYourFaceNYer Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world if you have the choice.

The scientist Richard Dawkins has become embroiled in another Twitter row, claiming it would be “immoral” to carry on with a pregnancy if the mother knew the foetus had Down’s syndrome...

This implies Dawkins believes it is a moral good to abort the fetus if it's tested positive for having DS... IOW, Dawkins believes all expecting mothers should abort their child if the child is tested positive for DS. IOW it means Dawkins does not value the life of DS kids... At all...

Dawkins said IF... SHE... was pregnant and morally confused by the situation, abortion is an option.

Show me where he said it was an option! Hell, if that is all he said I WOULDN"T BE MAKING THIS THREAD!!! Of course HE DIDN"T SAY THAT! WHAT HE DID SAY WAS ABORT THE FETUS IF IT HAS DOWNS SYNDROME!!!

He also had the opportunity to correct himself, he didn't.

Dawkins later defended his view, saying he would not apologise “for approaching moral philosophic questions in a logical way”.

From the DSA...

The Down’s Syndrome Association (DSA) issued a response to Dawkins’s initial comment. “People with Down’s syndrome can and do live full and rewarding lives, they also make a valuable contribution to our society.

“At the Down’s Syndrome Association we do not believe Down’s syndrome in itself should be a reason for termination, however we realise that families must make their own choice.

“The DSA strives to ensure that all prospective parents are given accurate and up to date information about the condition and what life might be like today for someone with Down’s syndrome.”

You are the only one who is confused Indy!

That is a freakin' fantasy you created in your own twisted little wingnutty overzealous religious nutjob sorry ass excuse for a brain.

Proof liberalism rots the brain! (see above)

FINALLY you're catching on. Richard Dawkins... and YOU... are TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE. With TWO DIFFERENT moral standards.

Implied by my outrage... Not funny you didn't catch that...

That is the beauty of living in a country and a world where people are FREE

Don't argue freedom with me you POS! I defend freedom! You only defend it when it suits your needs...

Dawkins is merely suggesting a MEDICAL PROCEDURE to solve the woman's HYPOTHETICAL "moral dilemma". He is NOT - in any way - saying "abort all DS babies for the good of society". That is all you, Tuk - nobody else

EVERYBODY ELSE! You are the only one confused here Indy!
August 24, 2014 05:01AM
tuk22 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Moron, everyone who has moral beliefs ought to
> defend them... otherwise, what's the point in
> having them?

Yes, douchebag - DEFEND THEM - not ram them down everyone else's throats. It's only the religious wingnuts like yourself who do that.

> Ummm, absolutely... Mr. 'I don't understand
> logical implications'...

Ummm - again, no. There is no logical implication that ALL DS babies should be aborted because ONE woman might do it. Except in your obviously barely functioning mind.

> Richard Dawkins ✔ @RichardDawkins
> Follow
> @InYourFaceNYer Abort it and try again. It would
> be immoral to bring it into the world if you have
> the choice.

Good idea - in the future, rather than putting your own twisted, wholly ridiculous and clueless spin on someone else's word - I suggest you QUOTE them as you just did here. Even someone with the lowered mental expectations like yourself should have no problem when it comes to copying and pasting.

> The scientist Richard Dawkins has become embroiled
> in another Twitter row, claiming it would be
> “immoral” to carry on with a pregnancy if the
> mother knew the foetus had Down’s syndrome...
>
> This implies Dawkins believes it is a moral good
> to abort the fetus if it's tested positive for
> having DS... IOW, Dawkins believes all expecting
> mothers should abort their child if the child is
> tested positive for DS. IOW it means Dawkins does
> not value the life of DS kids... At all...

One step forward - two steps back. That's why you're a wingnut - you belong in the slow lane.

> Dawkins said IF... SHE... was pregnant and morally
> confused by the situation, abortion is an option.
>
> Show me where he said it was an option!

Sorry Tuk, I forgot the trouble you have with the English language - it requires a small intellectual leap to get there. Dawkins tweeted: “Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world if you have the choice.”

choice [chois] Spell Syllables
noun
1. an act or instance of choosing; selection:
2. the right, power, or opportunity to choose; option:
3. the person or thing chosen or eligible to be chosen :
4. an alternative:
There is another choice.

[dictionary.reference.com]

This board is SO in need of a dictionary feature.

> Dawkins later defended his view, saying he would
> not apologise “for approaching moral philosophic
> questions in a logical way”.

Translation: STFU and mind your own business, Tuk.

> From the DSA...
>
> The Down’s Syndrome Association (DSA) issued a
> response to Dawkins’s initial comment....

LOL! Yes - because if people start aborting DS kids, somebody might be out of business. Are you really that dense? eye rolling smiley

> Don't argue freedom with me you POS! I defend
> freedom! You only defend it when it suits your
> needs...

Says the guy who is NOT defending the woman's right to choose. Irony is obviously lost on the dimwitted. smoking smiley
August 24, 2014 03:31PM
"Pondy wrote, 'I guess I shouldn't be allowed to agree with anything else he has ever said about anything. sad smiley'

Who said that? It's your choice... I'm sure Hitler made good arguments in his lifetime..."
-tuk

Well...! If Dawkins is comparable to Hitler now, then I really gotta stop agreeing with whatever he says. Thanks for the heads up, tuk!

August 24, 2014 07:59PM
Indy he clearly states if given a choice the parents should choose to abort! He actually believes it's a moral imperative to abort because he equates a DS fetus with a cancerous tumor... It's abortion as a means to prevent birth defects... It's Dawkins idea of preventive medicine and it's totally absurd.

It's not rational to claim a particular quality of life for all people with DS, so to say would be parents have the moral obligation to abort is wrong.
August 24, 2014 08:04PM
And instead of sharing a completely justified moral outrage, you defend that POS...

Unbelievable!
August 24, 2014 08:36PM
Not worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 08:36PM by Indy!.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!