Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Giving Thanks

Posted by madmadmadonna 
Re: Giving Thanks
August 15, 2014 05:07PM
You aren't only at odds with fundamentalists - you're at odds with most of Christendom.
August 15, 2014 06:01PM
With church doctrine, yes. And for good reason...

The message of salvation IMO is for all people, but the gospels were written for a target audience. The passages in john we are discussing clearly show a discussion between Jesus and the disciples... So if you were called to be a disciple of Christ that particular passage speaks directly to you...
August 15, 2014 08:32PM
1. The full name is Aesop's Fables. Kind of self-explanatory in that regard.

2. People aren't starting wars over The Ant and the Grasshopper.
August 16, 2014 10:12AM
If everything that happens is God's will, then how can you know that anything in particular is God's will, Maddie?

You just have to have faith that something in particular that happens is God's will, correct? And to have faith that something is God's will is not to have a reasonable, supported belief that it is God's will.

That's fine for some folks, I suppose, but I'd rather believe with evidence or suspend belief altogether if there is no evidence. To do otherwise makes it too easy for one to continue to believe in one's long-held biases and prejudices by thinly disguising such things as "God's will."
August 27, 2014 08:01AM
@ Navy:

Free will is God given. If you decide to commit suicide or to take treatment for illness, that's part of free will. You're held accountable in free will. Does this make sense?

Listen to all religions and accept what is good in all religions. Because all religions are led by one cosmic force. If you've studied the concepts of different religions like I've had a chance to study Hinduism and Christianity, you'd be amazed at the similarities in what seems to be two diversely different religions. You just need an inner vision and an open mind to absorb that.

Maddie
August 27, 2014 08:04AM
Dick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's fine for some folks, I suppose, but I'd
> rather believe with evidence or suspend belief
> altogether if there is no evidence. To do
> otherwise makes it too easy for one to continue to
> believe in one's long-held biases and prejudices
> by thinly disguising such things as "God's will."

And thus spake Dick showing his bias and prejudice against Christianity smiling smiley

Just needed to prove bias and prejudice are human fallacies - don;t blame Christianity or any religion for that.

Maddie
September 01, 2014 10:02AM
Maybe I missed it but I don't seem to find the word "Christian" or anything that refers directly to "Christian" in my reply.

Do you think that perhaps you're a bit oversensitive?

(OTOH, I suppose it's easier to write a reply that misstates the truth rather than to answer a couple of uncomfortable questions about your beliefs; so from that perspective your tactic makes sense.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 10:06AM by Dick.
September 17, 2014 09:59PM
How's it going, Dick?
September 18, 2014 07:49AM
Maddie wrote: "You just need an inner vision and an open mind to absorb that."

Perhaps, but not caring much about truth or clear thinking definitely helps in accepting a religious view of reality.
September 27, 2014 10:20PM
Sam
September 28, 2014 01:21AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!