Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How to Achieve Happiness

Posted by madmadmadonna 
How to Achieve Happiness
August 09, 2014 12:09PM

Maddie
Re: How to Achieve Happiness
August 09, 2014 07:07PM
August 09, 2014 08:06PM
You can also achieve happiness by eating crab cakes, eh Pondy? Enjoyed it?

Maddie
August 10, 2014 12:49AM
[www.youtube.com]

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

President Eisenhower
August 10, 2014 06:08AM
I don't care what anyone says - the 80s was one of the best eras for music.
August 10, 2014 11:02PM
[hymiesrecords.com]

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

President Eisenhower
August 11, 2014 02:35AM
What if the man told Lord Buddha "I want sex"?
August 11, 2014 04:24AM
Buddhist teachings are full of sayings that one only understands once you've studied Buddhism a little bit. Buddhism does indeed teach that both desires and the misidentification of oneself as separate from the rest of existence lead to suffering. But catchy little stories like the one in the OP leave most novices scratching their head, or worse mislead them into thinking they understand something they don't.

There are many zen stories that take the following format : The student approaches the master and asks a question. The master replies, and at some point while the student is pondering what the master said, the master raps the student on the hand or the head with a cane or wooden stick. The story ends with, "And at that moment, [the student] was enlightened." The story is meant to convey that enlightenment is not found in the concepts in our minds, in puzzling over things, but in direct sensory experience. But readers get the idea that enlightement is something you "get," and you "get" it instantly and "keep" it forever. That's not really the way it works. Enlightenment is simply living in the moment — experiencing reality without overlaying one's judgements on top of it. It's something that needs to be learned, which is why people spend years, decades, and sometimes lifetimes meditating — to condition themselves to live "in the moment."
August 11, 2014 05:20AM
Child abuse another commonality between Zen and Catholicism. Thanks Navy!

President Eisenhower
August 11, 2014 05:44AM
Lmao! grinning smiley ... but who said the student was a child?

I've only met about 20 people who practice and they seem pretty level headed to me. Of course, they all attend the same zen center, and therefore have the influence of the same teacher. Tell me about these over-hierarchical zen-types that you've met. What's the deal, are they just super uptight about "rules" like the Noble Eightfold Path, and all that? Bear in mind, that there obviously needs to be some discipline involved in Zen, both to guide the student and to preserve the teachings accurately over time.
August 11, 2014 06:09AM
Adults getting beaten with canes. That sounds even worse... That's Opus Dei territory!

There's really three zen people that I've met and spent alot of time with that I can think of.

One I traveled with for awhile in Sicily 8 years ago. He was annoying. It was like a bad zen trip. The person seemed to be a novice, but was really deep into it and every 5 minutes was another koan, but it was obvious that being such a novice he shouldn't have been offering koans like that, as in he barely knew his own material, and it was all rote repeated cliches, which he thought was so profound. He wasn't entirely bad though. He was just a human being trying to find his way, yet I found him pretty annoying. Still I did learn a couple important things from him, but they were essentially unrelated to zen.

The next was an old man in his late 70s, who had been living in a forest in Tasmania for 20-30 years without electricity. I met him at a busstop in Nanaimo here and shared his company to Alaska. An interesting character for sure. He claimed to have been a friend of Jack Kerouac and I really have no reason to disbelieve him, but he also drove me crazy. In a previous life he was a psychiatrist in New York and a Catholic, then had gotten to know the beatniks like Kerouac and Ginzberg, spent some time at the Essalen Insitute experimenting with altered states of consciousness, then studied zen in monasteries in Japan and in India.

The next was a gardener I used to work with. Formerly a Catholic he got into zen and studied it in Japan. Then started a zen metal-band with no words. He recently took off to California at some monastery.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!