Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Louie Gohmert Proves God's Existence With One Simple Equation

Posted by Curt Anderson 
Louie Gohmert Proves God's Existence With One Simple Equation
July 15, 2014 06:25AM
Mocking non-believers for failing to grasp the logic behind the existence of God, Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) cited an exchange with the late Texas entertainer Bob Murphey to disprove atheism during a prayer rally in Washington, D.C. Wednesday.

“Bob Murphey used to say, ‘You know, I feel so bad for atheists, I do,'” Gohmert recalled at "Celebrate America,” a three-week-long revival event. “‘Think about it, no matter how smart they think they are, an atheist has to admit that he believes the equation: nobody plus nothing equals everything.’”

"How embarrassing for an intellectual to have to say 'Yeah, I believe that,'" Gohmert said, citing Murphey. "Nobody plus nothing equals everything."

Gohmert delivered his final point to a chorus of applause as he concluded, "You couldn't get everything unless there was something that was the creator of everything and that's the Lord we know.” [www.huffingtonpost.com]
Re: Louie Gohmert Proves God's Existence With One Simple Equation
July 15, 2014 04:13PM
How embarrassing for theists to have to say, "I can't explain everything, so I made up a Supreme Being that explains everything. The universe can't have come about as the result of something I can't understand, so I made up an explanation simple enough that I can understand."

July 18, 2014 10:01PM
I believe the correct equation for that would be...

Nobody + Nothing = Supreme Being
July 20, 2014 10:10PM
Ergo...

Supreme Being = Nobody + Nothing

If A+B=C, then C=A+B

July 20, 2014 10:58PM
Clever. I would show that one to my parents, but they would cut me out of the will. smiling smiley
July 26, 2014 07:14AM
Yikes

"nobody plus nothing equals everything.”
.So, the initial conditions are "nobody + nothing". This is of course ridiculous and no atheist that I'm aware of suggests this to be so.

Further I think that we can ultimately prove that it's equivalent to the identity form x + 0 = x.(1) Given this it follows that anything + nothing = Anything. So, the equation reduces(by the identity rule) to "nobody + nothing = nobody"(See footnote 1)

So the theist equivalent would be : "Supreme being" + "nothing" = "Universe"

But is not that in contradiction of the identity principle of addition/subtraction ?

But, to be fair to theists, we should reformulate that as :

"Supreme being" + "Act of creation" = "Universe"

But what would be an "Act of Creation ? Is not to create in this context mean to make something from nothing" ?
So. would not "Act of Creation" still be equivalent to "nothing" ? And is not that still equivalent to : "Supreme being" + "nothing" = "Universe"

A little dose of sanity.

Currently, the best evidentially based cosmological hypothesis is that the universe we know started from a singularity, (At least as far as it's possible to know due to the event horizon of a singularity)

So, the Atheist equation should properly be stated as : Singularity" + "natural process" = Universe

Conclusions:
Seems to me the Theists argument is the more problematic.

Footnotes
(1)
x + 0 = x Identity principle of addition/subtraction
"nothing" = 0 Definition of 0 (0 = no value = nothing)
x + "nothing" = x Substitution principle
July 26, 2014 07:08PM
"Conclusions:
Seems to me the Theists argument is the more problematic."
-Cinci

Yeah. Just a tad.

July 31, 2014 09:54PM
Theist + faith = The greatest story ever told smoking smiley
August 16, 2014 08:04PM
It's always been amusing to me how every theist's "proof" of the existence of God always begins with the assumption that God has to exist.

Sam
August 17, 2014 07:34AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2014 06:07PM by Sam.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!