Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.

The job of the Biden campaign is simple, and Trump is helping.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Re: Is LITERAL Hellfire Torment A Bible Teaching?
July 15, 2014 04:05AM
George___ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is called Annihilationism and it's always
> been a minority view within Christianity. I don't
> think it's completely orthodox, but still not as
> heterodox as Universal Reconciliation. I'm
> inclined to think Gehinnom will be somewhere
> between eternal suffering and total
> annihilation... how that works out I don't know.
>

Magic! We all want to live in a magical world that we control. Some people are naive enough or ignorant enough or desperate enough to believe that they actually do.
Anonymous User
November 01, 2014 08:19AM
The largest and oldest Christian religion in the world, Roman Catholic, does not teach the Bible as the literal word of God. Rather they teach it as inspired by God. They also treat the Old Testament as having been replaced by the New Testament believing that the OT was given to the Jews as a guide pending the coming of Jesus Christ
November 08, 2014 10:30AM
The Popular Front
The largest and oldest Christian religion in the world, Roman Catholic, does not teach the Bible as the literal word of God. Rather they teach it as inspired by God. They also treat the Old Testament as having been replaced by the New Testament believing that the OT was given to the Jews as a guide pending the coming of Jesus Christ

What exactly does someone mean when he says the bible is "inspired by God"?

For one thing, he means that he believes God exists since it's kind of hard (actually impossible) for the nonexistent to inspire anything. So if an Omni-God exists and inspires someone to write a book, wouldn't that book be just as infallible and inerrant as if the Omni-God had written the book itself?

I would think so.

Saying that the bible is only "inspired by God" but not written by God is pretty much a meaningless distinction.
November 13, 2014 04:32AM
No it's not it's only meaningless to the narrow minded.

Some things are certain. Inspired by God.
Wise is wise and good advice is good advice, inspired by God or God breathed... Useful for education, instruction, moral suggestions and imperatives.

Seriously dude, you are making an argument for biblical innerancy arguing for church doctrine arguing for biblical certainty...
November 22, 2014 10:12AM
So (Part I) if the bible says that homosexuality is an abomination, is homosexuality then an abomination?

And (Part II) does it make a difference in the above case whether those words in the bible were written by God himself or they were merely written by a person inspired by God to write those words?
December 10, 2014 09:23PM
I don't think anyone (or any religion) is making the case the Bible was written by god - obviously it was written by man. The "inspiration" part is like the old phone game - god told man this is what he wanted in the book and man interpreted those words and inspiration when he (man) wrote the book - so it's not exactly what god would have written if he had done it himself.

Allegedly... of course. smiling smiley
April 04, 2015 11:44PM
Well, in a way it doesn't matter.
Hellfire is Hellfire.

If you are in Hellfire, it means you are in Hell. It might be proverbial hellfire, but did you ever consider proverbial Hellfire could be worse?
Anonymous User
November 29, 2015 02:19AM
No it is not at least according to the Magisterium of the RC Church
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!