Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Florida Sucks smoking smiley

Posted by Sam 
Sam
Florida Sucks smoking smiley
July 17, 2013 03:12AM
Re: Florida Sucks smoking smiley
July 17, 2013 03:17AM
Florida is HOT, HUMID, BUGS the size of small birds, cockroaches that eat mice..ya.
July 17, 2013 03:49AM
Don't forget the snakes...

[www.youtube.com]
July 17, 2013 03:57AM
And sink holes.
Sam
July 17, 2013 04:03AM
July 17, 2013 04:09AM
Sam,
The only thing is, is that Oklahoma is no great shakes either.
July 17, 2013 04:10AM
Don't forget...

[www.youtube.com]
Sam
July 17, 2013 05:13AM
Hey, Curt, you don't have to tell me what a hellhole Oklahoma is, lol!
July 17, 2013 07:26AM
Stopped watching the video about the 2:10 mark, where John Oliver starts talking about the — you guessed it — 911 operator instructing Zimmerman to not follow Martin. eye rolling smiley It's tough watching people that you normally respect, like the Daily Show staff, make idiots of themselves ... and get big laughs and cheers of agreement from the painfully ignorant crowd.

Florida does suck, btw. Flat and boring. Humid. If I didn't have family and friends down here, I'd move in a heartbeat. Its one saving grace is that the weather is convenient. Not good, but convenient, in that bad weather generally doesn't last a long time, you never have to drive in the snow, you never have to shovel your driveway or scrape your windshield.
July 17, 2013 07:33AM
What problem did you have with the Daily Show coverage, Navy?

Sam
July 17, 2013 04:54PM
It's not a serious news show, Navy. Just for fun...
July 17, 2013 08:09PM
"It's not a serious news show, Navy. Just for fun..."

Wrong.
Sam
July 17, 2013 08:18PM
If you think that show is intended in any way to be a serious source for information or some form of public influence/indoctrination, um, wrong. It's a comedy show. Have a sense of humor already.
July 17, 2013 08:19PM
What did Oliver say that ruffled your feathers, Navy?
July 17, 2013 08:59PM
"If you think that show is intended in any way to be a serious source for information or some form of public influence/indoctrination, um, wrong."

No, I don't think that, but I think that labelling the Daily Show as "100% just for fun" is inaccurate. MadTv and Pixar movies are "just for fun." On the Daily Show, the writers base their material on their own beliefs about controversial public issues, and since Jon and the staff are clearly very intelligent and well informed, it's reasonable to assume they hold some of those beliefs passionately. So while the only purpose of the Daily Show truly may be to make people laugh, the way they do that is to present, in a humorous way, their strongly held beliefs. In this case I happen to think those beliefs are embarrassingly misinformed. It has nothing to do with "sense of humor," and it's not the end of the world ... I just didn't want to watch the Daily Show staff, who I like, embarrass themselves.
Sam
July 17, 2013 09:15PM
Fair enough. Exactly what did you find so embarrassing about it?
July 17, 2013 09:16PM
Navy2711 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I didn't have family and friends down here, I'd
> move in a heartbeat.

Nope. Typical lame ass "Yeah, I live here but I hate it" nonsense.

Little Florida insight for the folks who want to know more about the greatest state in the Union.... You hear that BS line at least once a month in Florida from some transplant. It usually comes from a former NYer - but you get it from the other states as well... "Oh NY was so great! Wish I never moved here! In NY, you have the CITY - everything is in the CITY!" It's a little game the transplants play amongst themselves - about how much better they had it somewhere else. They're looking for a sympathetic friend to share their faux misery and eventually they - like Navy - get around to pulling that one out of their asses on your old pal Indy here. Except I don't play the game the way they expect. I always say the same thing... "Don't like it here? Go. You can move any time you want. Pennsylvania is waiting... What's stopping you?" Which is always met with a blank stare and a long pause. Then you get the stammering excuses... "I...I...I can't move because of my job." Or "My wife loves it here - I can't move." Or "My kids are still in school." Or "My friends and family are here!"... You have frends here? You can make new friends anywhere. You have family here? They can fly in on the holidays - gives them a chance to visit that great (winking smiley) place they used to live. Please. Two winters in Florida and you're never leaving. Just watching those unfortunate folks shoveling their cars out of the snow and then sliding all over the highway on the news is enough to keep you here forever. You're not going anywhere, Navy. You know it, I know it - now the board knows it. I have yet to see ANY transplant move back to that "wonderful" (winking smiley) place they used to live - the place that was so "fantastic" (winking smiley) and had everything (winking smiley)... most importantly a great reason to move to Florida.

LOL! smiling bouncing smiley
Sam
July 17, 2013 09:27PM
From the Florida Sucks facebook page...

1. Florida's unemployment rate (one of the highest in the US)
2. Filthy bums everywhere (one of the leading states in the US with most homeless)
3. Tons of illegal aliens from Mexico and Cuba (one of the highest states in the US for illegal aliens)
4. Old people everywhere
5. Pay wage and Job opportunities Suck
6. Nothing is cheaper
7. Hurricanes
8. Property values decrease and then your trapped and can't sell
9. Home owners need to pay extra money for hurricane and flood insurance
10. Many people who live there have to work in other states to make ends meet
11. Drug addict central
12. Lack of culture
13. The climate is blistering hot and dry
14. Corrupt politician and racist police
15. Thunderstorms and rains almost everyday
16. Total cluster of tourists
17. Gators
18. Fire ants
19. Billions of blood sucking bugs(Mosquitoes, fleas, ticks)
20. Terrible sports teams
21. Terrible drivers and bad traffic conditions
22. Never see the autumn leaves change
23. Never have snow fall or a white Christmas
24. Never see the blooming of spring
25. No mountains
26. There are only two seasons hot and hotter.
27. Population of Florida is the rich, the old, and the scum of the earth
28. Florida is an industrialized swamp.
29. Out of all 50 states Florida ranks 48th worst in education and bases everything on 1 test the FCAT.
30. Need to Run Ac all year long (we had it on even on Christmas morning)
July 17, 2013 09:29PM
13. The climate is blistering hot and dry

Dry? Really? I thought Florida was extremely humid.
July 17, 2013 09:32PM
#5 Apalachicola and #6 Gainesville made the top 10 most humid American cities list.

[voices.yahoo.com]
Sam
July 17, 2013 09:33PM
Then #15 says it rains everyday, lol...The list was apparently written by a Floridian agnostic. smoking smiley
July 17, 2013 09:36PM
Terrible sports teams? That pretty much tells you everything about the "Florida Sucks" page...

==========================================================================================

July 17, 2013 09:37PM
PS: And allow me to note that the 2012 Championship came against Oklahoma. smoking smiley
Sam
July 17, 2013 09:44PM
Oklahoma sucks, too.
July 17, 2013 09:49PM
Sam,

Some of that list is true, a lot of it isn't. Some of the items that are presented as bad are actually better alternatives. For instance, #15, rainstorms everyday ... that's only in the summer, and anyway I'll take that over the weeks of overcast in New Enland. Mornings, middays and evenings are most often clear, with puffy white clouds. Some of the list is true for most of Florida, but not all of it. Lack of culture? Yes for most of it, but the cities are fine. But that's the same as a lot of other states.

What sucks for me about Florida is I like the outdoors, and I don't like heat and humidity. I've moved away twice and spent a few years in Colorado, and nearly every day I would go hiking and climbing, loving every minute of being outside. Just taking in a deep breath of cold, dry air in the mountains makes you feel more alive. Here in Florida, I spend most of my time indoors, cherishing the A/C. On the weekends, when I see the cars stacking up on the bridges to the barrier islands so people can spend a few hours on the blistering hot/humid beach ... I just don't get it. Not my thing.
July 17, 2013 09:53PM
If you sweat a lot like I do, you're gonna hate humidity. I grew up in Baltimore and the summers there are sweltering and humid. I never got used to it.

SoCal is very dry. I love the climate here. We don't even have A/C. There's usually no need for it.
July 17, 2013 09:55PM
The list is mostly generalizations - the same kind you can make about any state. What you CAN'T say about ANY state in the Union except Florida?

That's right baby...

==========================================================================================

July 17, 2013 10:10PM
Florida dry? Hell you can cut the air with a knife. I agree with shiity sports! the finger smiley
Sam
July 17, 2013 10:16PM
List the years they lost, Indy! Let's compare that number with 3. smiling smiley
July 17, 2013 10:18PM
I forget... the Bears have been around like 100 years or so - have they ever actually WON the Super Bowl?
July 18, 2013 01:54AM
Indeed.
July 18, 2013 05:26AM
I was in Florida once - in August, 1958. With three friends. I drove down the Blue Ridge Parkway and that Eastern Route to New Orleans. At one point, we passed a road sign saying Florida so we stopped and took photographs of ourselves on the Florida side - just to say we had been there.

Never been back and don't want to. Talking to "Snowbirds" about heir boring existences during their winters there is more than enough for me. cut it off and slide it into the Atlantic. It will never be missed.

At the Scopes Monkey Trial, Clarence Darrow gave a brilliant speech, but the cynical journalist H.L. Mencken told him "You may as well have shouted it up a waterspout in Outer Mongolia for all the effect it will have on your listeners ..

Ditto here.
Sam
July 18, 2013 06:07AM
I was in Key West during that same exact time. I was 1 year old.
July 18, 2013 06:29AM
I'm sure you developed a very informed opinion by stepping over the border in the panhandle to take a photo, interested. Likewise I'm sure those haunting memories from age 1 will keep you from ever visiting again, Sam. eye rolling smiley

Come on - it's FLORIDA! Nowhere else on the planet earth can you find AGSF except... FLORIDA!

Ponce de Leon gives it a hearty thumbs up!
Sam
July 18, 2013 06:40AM
I lived there for a couple of years as a baby. No impressions formed. There is an artist there somewhere who built Coral Castle, I think? I'd love to see that. My college roommate is Chief of Police in Lakeland and she's invited me there to visit so might make it back there one day.
July 18, 2013 07:20AM
I've been to Florida twice - Miami Beach in '66, and Disney World in '81. Great trips.
July 18, 2013 08:35AM
Sam - word of advice before you make that trip - Lakeland bears no resemblance to Florida.

PS: I would tell you about my Grad Nite trip to Disney, but the statute of limitations hasn't run out yet. I will say that my good friend Sam and I set a somewhat historic precedent for the park though - first time they ever had to stop the Haunted Mansion ride while it was in progress. smileys with beer
Sam
July 18, 2013 04:36PM
So Florida in general is great but Lakeland sucks? How so?
July 18, 2013 04:41PM
Only saving grace is the hot dog ladies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!