SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Write and post your long form essays and articles on The SelectSmart.com Post.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

jesse jackson jr quits, money scandal and federal probe cited

Posted by txcup 
jesse jackson jr quits, money scandal and federal probe cited
November 22, 2012 03:55AM
a strong case that fogging a mirror should not qualify one to vote

this guy WON his election

[chicago.cbslocal.com]

CHICAGO (CBS) – Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. has resigned from Congress, citing health reasons and an intensifying federal investigation into the use of his campaign funds.

He notified staff, supporters and some lawmakers this afternoon. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder this summer.

His resignation letter has been sent to House Speaker John Boehner.

Jackson’s decision came following two weeks of mounting calls for him to come clean with voters, following revelations that his defense lawyer, former U.S. Attorney Dan Webb, was involved in plea bargaining with authorities who’d been investigating Jackson’s alleged misuse of campaign funds.

Jackson’s resignation letter also included his first public acknowledgement of the federal probe.

“During this journey, I have made my share of mistakes. I am aware of the ongoing federal investigation into my activities and I am doing my best to address the situation responsibly,” he wrote.

A statement from Jackson’s lawyers, including Webb, said, “Mr. Jackson is cooperating with the investigation. We hope to negotiate a fair resolution of the matter but the process could take several months. During that time, we will have no further comment and urge you to give Mr. Jackson the privacy he needs to heal and handle these issues responsibly.”

There have been news reports the feds are also investigating Jackson’s wife, Ald. Sandi Jackson (7th) in connection to possible misuse of campaign funds, but Jackson’s letter clearly seeks to absolve her of any wrongdoing.

Congressman Jackson easily won re-election earlier this month, despite not appearing in public since he took a medical leave of absence in June.

Though for several weeks now, it has no longer been a matter of if he would resign, but when.

==========================================================================
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!