Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Rachel Maddow’s Interview Of Lev Parnas: Trump, Pence Were In The Loop...
In Parnas’s words, “President Trump knew...
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The rate of attempted suicide for transgendered individuals is 47%

Posted by Ponderer 
The rate of attempted suicide for transgendered individuals is 47%
August 21, 2012 07:21AM

This is a terrible statistic. Simply awful. All of these are.

What can society do to help bring these terrible statistics down?

Wow that is absolutely disastrous.
Re: The rate of attempted suicide for transgendered individuals is 47%
August 21, 2012 07:51AM
Kai, what would you guess is at the heart of such a high statistic as that?

Overwhelming abuse by others who treat them as if they were subhuman rats.
Anonymous User
August 21, 2012 07:52AM
Ponderer,
I don't doubt that that the transgendered face mountains of discrimination and challenges. But, I'd accept those numbers and findings only with a grain of salt. The survey was at least in part an online survey. All the respondents seem to self-selected. That certainly skews the results. This appears on their site:

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and the National Center for Transgender Equality are
grateful to each of the 6,450 transgender and gender non-conforming study participants who took
the time and energy to answer questions about the depth and breadth of injustice in their lives.
A diverse set of people, from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam and the
U.S. Virgin Islands, completed online or paper surveys. This tremendous gift has created the first
360-degree picture of discrimination against transgender and gender non-conforming people in the
U.S. and provides critical data points for policymakers, community activists and legal advocates to
confront the appalling realities documented here and press the case for equity and justice.

Of course, it's probably not feasible to do a scientific poll of the transgendered as they represent a such small portion of the population---an estimated .3% of Americans are transgender. Since scientific polls with an acceptable margin of error with a randomized general population require at least 1000 calls or other direct contacts, to find a randomized transgendered population would require at lease 300,000 contacts. But that excludes transgendered people living on the streets, dead of suicide, etc.
August 21, 2012 08:03AM
Curt, I would think that this was possibly the best way to conduct such a survey. With such a tiny minority spread out over the whole country, it's not like you could really go to one place or expect them all to come to one place for a survey. Believe me, the internet is probably the best place to find the largest amount of transgendered individuals to draw from.

And knowing as many transsexuals as I have, there is nothing surprising to me about any of those stats.

Plus, CTD found that link, so you know it's got to be nothing but True.

August 21, 2012 08:04AM
"Overwhelming abuse by others who treat them as if they were subhuman rats." -Kai

Gotta be near the top of motivating factors.

Anonymous User
August 21, 2012 08:30AM
Ponderer,
As I said, a scientific survey probably isn't feasible. So their self-selected online survey was probably the best anybody could do. But it's probably as accurate as those online surveys that Cascade and Txcup have posted here showing Ron Paul with overwhelming voter support and defeating all comers. I suspect that people who have experience hardships are much more likely to respond to a survey such as that one, than transgendered people who don't have any complaints about their lives.

Presumably, the transgendered people you know are not covert. They are open about their identity and their travails. There are probably many Billy Tipton-types whom you might not realize are transgendered, who lead relatively happy and successful lives.
August 21, 2012 09:05AM
"There are probably many Billy Tipton-types whom you might not realize are transgendered, who lead relatively happy and successful lives." -Curt

And they are just as likely as any other transgenders to have attempted suicide in their youth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 09:09AM by Ponderer.
I'm glad you said it, Curt.
Jun
August 21, 2012 10:01AM
Even if the suicidal-rate for transgender-people isn't as staggering, by is ONLY [sic] eye rolling smiley just high, does it change the reality of the extreme and senseless level of vicious persecution that many transgender-people faces?

[www.cbc.ca]

Paul Morneau, a spokesperson for local paramedics, said a recent Ontario study suggested 77 per cent of transgender people have contemplated suicide, and 41 per cent have attempted it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Juni {^á´¥^}

"Don't judge other people just because they sin differently from you!" ~ Anon

Three things you (probably) don't know about Islam
[www.youtube.com]

Welcome To Belgistan -- The New Muslim Capital Of Europe
[www.youtube.com]

August 22, 2012 12:33AM
THAT or what could be the problem is that these people are so fukked up to begin with that this is a side condition that causes this. It cannot be good if you feel you are not you every day, that IS severe mental illness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 12:45AM by whats@work.
August 22, 2012 04:44PM
It's a staggeringly hellish state to be in, whats. Just on an individual level. Throw in that they are ostracized and tormented by society and their family and friends if they come out or are left tormented in an inner hell of living a lie if they stay in complete secrecy about their self image and never get help and you've got a pretty big recipe for mental illness, It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

I've met and been around a lot of transgendered people. I used to volunteer at the local gay and lesbian center and sat in on many support group meetings for them they had there. Donna and I have a best friend who is a male to female transsexual who was our roommate for years. Yeah, a lot of them are pretty messed up. Some of them I would say that their being transgendered is the least of their problems. Hard to say which problem came first. Either way, they live their lives in torment.

Yet there are those like CTD who, in their flaming ignorance, embrace the conclusion that they are all just in it for the fun. They are just choosing a lifestyle. It's a decision they made and they should just stop being that way.

If people like CTD had to spend a day in these people's shoes, going through the unending torment they have to go through their whole lives mentally and socially, they would shut their stupid, pig-ignorant, bigoted faces up about the subject from then on.

Jun
August 22, 2012 04:44PM
whats@work Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> THAT or what could be the problem is that these
> people are so fukked up to begin with that this is
> a side condition that causes this. It cannot be
> good if you feel you are not you every day, that
> IS severe mental illness.

The American Psychiatric Association (APA) disagrees the "mental illness" bit . .

Transsexualism is NOT a mental disorder unlike those suffering from intense homophobia or racism.
Transsexualism can be better regarded as birth defects of the body; where a person with the brain of one gender is born with the physical sexual characteristic opposite to that of which.
Pond I think you're confusing CTD with Whats, not that there's much of a difference anyway.
August 22, 2012 08:56PM
No I'm not, Kai. whats seems pretty okay on this issue. He at least knows what a transgendered person is. Unlike CTD who hasn't a clue.

THAT or what could be the problem is that these people are so fukked up to begin with that this is a side condition that causes this. It cannot be good if you feel you are not you every day, that IS severe mental illness.

- Whats

Hard to top that even by CTD. At least CTD can claim ignorance. Whats is just an asshole.
August 22, 2012 09:38PM
Pondy- I'm clear about the attempted suicide, do you have stats on the suicide rate? Just wondering. Ballpark is cool.

Proud member of the .45%
I would rather suffer in good company,
than live comfortably with delicate men.
Non Timebo Mala
August 22, 2012 09:43PM
Kai, although whats is grossly exaggerating by including all of "these people" in his comment, I did acknowledge that there are TG individuals who have other problems mentally. But then I may be misreading what he actually meant.

The idea that mental illness causes gender dysphoria is rather ignorant and assholish. I'll give you that. whats does have a ways to go yet in casting off his ignorance on this issue as it turns out.

August 22, 2012 09:46PM
Don't you think that in ANY spectrum, there are those with mental illness? To limit that to this group is really narrow thinking.

Proud member of the .45%
I would rather suffer in good company,
than live comfortably with delicate men.
Non Timebo Mala
Agreed OD.
August 22, 2012 09:51PM
"Pondy- I'm clear about the attempted suicide, do you have stats on the suicide rate?" -od

I don't. I would think that would be difficult to guage. Imagine if a person had lived with being gender dysphoric their whole life but had never told a soul about it. If they finally end up killing themselves because of it without leaving a detailed note explaining exactly why they did it, how would anyone ever know?

I do know that the suicide rate for those transsexuals who have transitioned is much less that those who haven't or don't. I think I recall around 4%.

August 22, 2012 09:51PM
"Don't you think that in ANY spectrum, there are those with mental illness? To limit that to this group is really narrow thinking." -od

I agree also.

August 22, 2012 09:57PM
Excuse me but 47% is INDEED all "those" people. To say someone lives with a biological condition that tears their sanity apart is rather naive and foolish to NOT think so. "K" simply doesn't know much about anything so I suppose its forgivable. TG people certainly have "mental" issues brought on by their biological ones. The same could be made about people that lose limbs and never recover.
August 22, 2012 10:00PM
Well that's kind of what I originally thought you were getting at, whats. Thanks.

You should learn how to speak and to be understandable Whats, without coming off like a complete asshole, even in the occasional time its unintentional on your part.
Jun
September 01, 2012 07:52AM

Fernanda Milan will be deported 17/09/2012

"It appears that the reason Fernanda Milan was not granted asylum is because Denmark does not recognize persecution on the basis of gender identity as a reason for claiming asylum. Denmark, the UK and Ireland all opted out of the new EU directive on asylum, which includes gender identity."

Denmark does not recognize trans identity as a reason for asylum. This is against the United Nations - Human Rights Convention, Article 19.

Petition at: [www.skrivunder.net]

Facebook Event: [www.facebook.com]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Juni {^á´¥^}

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

September 01, 2012 06:07PM
I certainly condemn Denmark's policy, but what on Earth made her pick that particular country to seek asylum in?

For anyone, to be made to believe that you are fundamentally flawed is traumatic to the limbic mind. I cannot imagine what it must be like to feel you are born in the wrong sex body. I have long thought that if this condition of being was completely accepted by society, then transgender people would not feel the need to have a sex change and they would certainly be healthier mentally. I have written before that I believe the very concept of mental illness is questionable, and that its existence is more of a social problem than a biological problem.
September 03, 2012 02:59AM
I disagree. You don't think these individuals are incapable of looking around and seeing someting is wrong with themselves without society? I would give people more credit for understanding their own plight than you do myce. I am sure you will find it a matter of both biologcal and mental. Probably one driving the other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2012 03:54AM by whats@work.
September 03, 2012 03:09AM
Mental illness is real - we know that because the Republican Party is real - it does exist. But I do think society in some instances over emphasizes the idea of mental illness - especially concerning children who are just being children sometimes.
Jun
September 04, 2012 07:49AM
whats@work Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am sure you will
> find it a matter of both biologcal and mental.
> Probably one driving the other.

thumbs up

- Juni {^á´¥^}

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Jun
September 05, 2012 02:39PM
If only more parents of Transgender-children are like her.
[www.theconversation.tv]

thumbs up

- Juni {^á´¥^}

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!