SelectSmart.com SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Regulations, taxes aren't killing small business, owners say

Posted by PowerToThePeople 
Regulations, taxes aren't killing small business, owners say
September 02, 2011 08:52PM
WASHINGTON — Politicians and business groups often blame excessive regulation and fear of higher taxes for tepid hiring in the economy. However, little evidence of that emerged when McClatchy canvassed a random sample of small business owners across the nation.

"Government regulations are not 'choking' our business, the hospitality business," Bernard Wolfson, the president of Hospitality Operations in Miami, told The Miami Herald. "In order to do business in today's environment, government regulations are necessary and we must deal with them. The health and safety of our guests depend on regulations. It is the government regulations that help keep things in order." [...]

McClatchy reached out to owners of small businesses, many of them mom-and-pop operations, to find out whether they indeed were being choked by regulation, whether uncertainty over taxes affected their hiring plans and whether the health care overhaul was helping or hurting their business.

Their response was surprising.

None of the business owners complained about regulation in their particular industries, and most seemed to welcome it. Some pointed to the lack of regulation in mortgage lending as a principal cause of the financial crisis that brought about the Great Recession of 2007-09 and its grim aftermath.

Rest at [www.mcclatchydc.com]

"When they say there’s not enough money, they mean there’s not enough money for YOU." - Jill Stein, Green Party presidential nominee.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2011 09:33PM by PowerToThePeople.
Re: Regulations, taxes aren't killing small business, owners say
September 02, 2011 08:56PM
Bingo. Anyone who brings up that regulations LIE should just be reminded of the Wall Street disaster. That's what happens when there are no regulations. I can't believe the wingnuts are actually calling for less regulations when it comes to our food, drugs and environment. They would be selling us rancid meat and rat poison disguised as "sleeping pills".
September 03, 2011 12:36AM
Doctors already prescribe Coumadin for patients prone to blood clots in their legs or lungs.
The active ingredient in Coumadin is Warfarin.
Which is the same active ingredient in rat poison.

I run three small businesses.
Federal and state regulations are NOT a problem.
I hired some additional workers this year because business is good.

Mac
September 03, 2011 05:00PM
I was just reading a sign business trade magazine yesterday that showed the results of an industry survey that asked what the biggest impediment to growth was for them in this economy. "Taxes and Regulations" came in last. And the sign industry has to deal with quite a lot of regulations.

http://imgdump.novarata.net/image.php?di=WN26
September 03, 2011 05:26PM
Come to Illinois and say taxes aren't killing business..facts are reality pesky things.

http://rlv.zcache.com/the_democrat_plantation_slavery_through_dependency_bumper_sticker-ra26d38da16684c89a0eb6d50dde1e5ee_v9wht_8byvr_512.jpg
September 03, 2011 06:11PM
Could you save me the bus fare and give me an example, whats?

September 03, 2011 07:20PM
Just get in your car and move, whats. You know - like those poor folks moving out of the way of the hurricane. Just move to another state.

Geez. Do us libs have to do ALL the thinking for you?
September 04, 2011 12:00AM
I think Whats has killed too many flies.

Mac
September 08, 2011 05:27PM
I dunno, the sheeple here are pretty much victims that expect uncle sugar to take care of them...
September 08, 2011 07:01PM
Who is this "uncle sugar" guy and how do I get on his payroll?
September 08, 2011 07:38PM
I know! What part of his ass does od pull this bullshit out of anyway?

September 08, 2011 07:45PM
it's the lack of enforcement, not the lack of regs

the banks blew themselves up. they should of went bankrupt. free markets work....if you let them

the red/blue won't let free market happen - fascism, not free market

==============================================================================

"The masses... do not conceive any ideas, sound or unsound. They only choose between the ideologies developed by the intellectual leaders of mankind. But their choice is final and determines the course of events. If they prefer bad doctrines, nothing can prevent disaster."
September 08, 2011 07:46PM
Ummm... no - it's the lack of regs too. The toxic derivatives were perfectly legal.
September 09, 2011 05:37PM
Pondy- mmmm..... lets see. YOU want the government to SERVE YOU with all your medical care. YOU want the GOVERNMENT to support YOU, you take no accountability for your sorry azz self. You are too much of a victim to actually be accountable for your own fukking self. You want the governement to be accountable for you. YOU are in a traditional victim stance.

Oh, just for shts and grins, and IF you can actually read, look up reality therapy. Thats what sheeple need.
September 09, 2011 09:57PM
YOU want to engage in caricatures of people you don't like.
September 09, 2011 10:00PM
Indy.... once again, I'm not paid by "uncle sugar"

PTTP- did you erase the post?
September 09, 2011 10:01PM
No. I haven't erased any posts. I don't even know which post you're referring to.

Is it possible that you posted the post in question on another thread?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2011 10:02PM by PowerToThePeople.
September 09, 2011 10:03PM
Yes you are. You're on welfare - you told us that a million times.
September 09, 2011 10:04PM
Nope, have a job AND you know that so you're just a bald faced liar (typical sheeple)
Anonymous User
September 09, 2011 10:13PM
OD obviously has dementia.

And he's a stupid biatch.
September 09, 2011 11:46PM
I'm beginning to wonder if OD filed a VA claim and was turned down.
Maybe that's where his anger is coming from.

He WANTS to be on the Government Dole, but they won't let him.

Mac
September 14, 2011 09:32PM
As I said, it's lack of demand.
September 14, 2011 09:41PM
Mac- Like I have said over and over. I was hit with low dose sarin. Period. I got my VA. I don't use it because it's the absolute worst health care in the world, and what PTTP wants to go to.

Pttp- WTF?

Proud member of the .45%

Iraq WAS only a tactical win for the Jiha'adist. Their goal is much larger.
September 14, 2011 10:24PM
"Pondy- mmmm..... lets see. YOU want the government to SERVE YOU with all your medical care. YOU want the GOVERNMENT to support YOU, you take no accountability for your sorry azz self. You are too much of a victim to actually be accountable for your own fukking self. You want the governement to be accountable for you. YOU are in a traditional victim stance." -od

As usual, you are so full of sh*t that it is spurting out your ears. The astounding audacity you present with your asinine assertions about what everyone else thinks and believes actually puts pb to shame. And that's saying something!

I want a single-payer health care system. I want to pay my taxes, extra taxes even if needed, and have the government oversee the health care of its citizens out of such taxes that everyone would pay and share the cost of... as opposed to having health insurance corporations, whose obligation lies first and mostly with its share holders, overcharge the living sh*t out of us all for health care if they even let us have it.

I'm not looking for anyone to take care of me. I'm looking for value on my dollar which I am more than happy to pony-up. I don't expect it to be free. No one here expects it to be free. That's your Sarin-soaked brain lying to you. One need only compare what people in this country pay for their health care (IF they can even get it) to what people in all other civilized countries pay through their taxes to see that Americans are getting hosed BIG time.

So please, quit making yourself look like the blithering idiot everyone in here takes you for and stop telling me and others what we want, think or believe. You are extremely miserable at it.

Btw, anyone who has to rely on for-profit health care through an insurance agency is automatically in a "victim stance".

September 14, 2011 10:31PM
So you want a politician to make your medical decisions, right? ala Canada and the kid they were going to pull the plug on? or the VA? Great systems.

Proud member of the .45%

Anonymous User
September 14, 2011 10:44PM
Says the guy who spent his entire career following the decisions of politicians.
September 14, 2011 10:44PM
said by the guy that got booted for "anger issues"

Proud member of the .45%

Anonymous User
September 14, 2011 10:51PM
Sorry, that wasn't me. You're confused again.
September 14, 2011 10:56PM
Squid, section 8, anger issues, fought with a chaplin. Yeah, that's you.

Proud member of the .45%

Anonymous User
September 14, 2011 10:59PM
NO section 8, Honorable Discharge.

No "anger issues", that was your own term that you put on it. Same with Sec 8.

You have a hard time with facts and memory issues and critical reading don't you?
September 14, 2011 11:09PM
"So you want a politician to make your medical decisions, right? ala Canada and the kid they were going to pull the plug on? or the VA? Great systems." -od

dude, where exactly is this perfect health care system in this country that never has any problems, abuses or waste that you seem to think we are all ingrates for not loving?

September 15, 2011 12:51AM
What I have is MUCH BETTER than socialized medicine. I have both, I chose to pay hundreds a month so the government doesn't make my health decisions, and I have a plan that I am responsible for myself instead of your uncle sugar saying what I can and cannot have. I don't believe that the federal government has the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT (remember the constitution? I know it's a petty thing to bring up, but until you change it, that's what we have).

Proud member of the .45%

September 15, 2011 01:59AM
That's a nice option if you have extra hundreds a month. Most of us don't.
September 15, 2011 03:14AM
"What I have is MUCH BETTER than socialized medicine. I have both, I chose to pay hundreds a month so the government doesn't make my health decisions, and I have a plan that I am responsible for myself instead of your uncle sugar saying what I can and cannot have." -od

How nice for you! What health insurance company are you with that will simply cover anything YOU DECIDE that you need? And for only hundreds a month? Your Aunt Insurance Company will let you make and then cover any health decision you make? Like hell it will!

You keep acting like single payer would automatically be worse in terms of what's covered when that is not a foregone conclusion by any means. It certainly isn't in all the other developed countries. All health insurance companies decide what they will and won't cover or even if they'll give you insurance covering you in the first place. Why do they get a total pass from you in that regard but it's a deal killer for you when looking at single-payer? Why do for-profit corporations looking to fleece you for whatever they can cheat you out of to make their precious profit get a special dispensation from you?

"I don't believe that the federal government has the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT (remember the constitution? I know it's a petty thing to bring up, but until you change it, that's what we have)." -od

Well that's your interpretation. Many people tend to take, "and provide for the common defense and GENERAL WELFARE of the United States" at it's obvious meaning.

Anonymous User
September 15, 2011 03:20AM
The Federal Government would have the constitutional authority to mandate health care if it covered everyone, was paid for from general funds and was overseen by a Federal Department and not-for-profit government insurance agency.

But to mandate that Americans are required to buy a product or service from a private corporation or face penalties by the government? That is NOT constitutional.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Map IP Address