Home Forum Index Politics Philosophy Diversions Theology Tips & Rules
SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Join to post comments.

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

THC To Any Plant Just Got Real Easy. And The Tomatoes Taste Scrumptious!

Posted by Kairos 
THC To Any Plant Just Got Real Easy. And The Tomatoes Taste Scrumptious!
June 05, 2009 07:36AM

Oakdale, CA: Scientists at Montsaint Genie Tech Inc. announced today that they have successfully transferred the gene segment that produces the psychotropic chemical THC in cannabis plants to many other common garden plants, including tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, and more.

“We probably can put the THC segment into almost any plant in existence,” says lead scientist Rebeca Vale. “It’s a very simple process. We are starting work on oak and maple trees now.”

Asked if the resulting plants could be used in ways similar to cannabis, Vale replied, “Well, you can’t make twine out of a tomato plant, but if someone were to dry it and smoke it, all of the medicinal and psychotropic effects of marijuana would be present. And what’s more, we have learned that tomatoes, in particular, actually produce more THC than cannabis itself.”

But is it legal? “Actually, yes,” says Vale. “Our research qualifies as GMO ‘intellectual property’, as does the process itself. Since tomatoes and other plants are not illegal, a person would be well within the law to grow them and use them as they please.”

Vale says that her company is working on a spray that will transfer the segment to many plants simply by spraying the leaves of seedlings.

“It’s a very simple process,” she says. “Anyone can do it. We plan to start selling the spray - ‘Genie Mist’ - in a matter of weeks. One bottle will sell for five dollars and be capable of treating 6,000 seedlings.”

But how do the tomatoes taste? “Scrumptious,” Vale says. “But, of course, they are best when roasted.”

[thecrit.com]#

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

President Eisenhower
WTF...where and when do I get to buy that kind of stuff.

That is awesome, and you could probably document the use of the proucct with you food to escape punishment from urinalysis!

Good research GB.
Re: THC To Any Plant Just Got Real Easy. And The Tomatoes Taste Scrumptious!
June 05, 2009 09:36AM
I know eh? This thing kicks ass.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

President Eisenhower
Interesting that this is coming from Oakdale, CA. There is a movement in the valley to legalize pot for a cash crop. Currently, the valley produces most of the fruits and vegetables that are consumed in the united states, however, the argument is that the climate and conditions are perfect for pot growing and the money that would generate would help bring this poor part of the state into better economic times.
This week there was an article in the local paper about the possibilty and how it would impact the farmers. One local farmer indicated he wouldn't mind growing pot as a crop as he can attest to the fact the conditions are perfect and he could make a lot of money, but, he fears that security would be an issue. Already he has to fence and barbed wire his melon crop to try to keep people out. Can you imagine how hard it would be to keep people out of a pot field?
I support the legalization of pot, but, the logistics seem to be getting in the way.
Yah, man. Gonna be burning a lot of oak next winter!
June 05, 2009 06:04PM
There is a movement in the valley to legalize pot for a cash crop. - basp

Someone recently told me that you can already become a legal grower if you go through the proper channels. Medical pot is readily available in Long Beach, CA, and the docs that prescribe it aren't being hassled. That means someone is growing it and supplying it to these docs.
If I chomp on a BLT, will I get the munchies for a BLT?

BLT T T t t t...................zzzzzzzzzzzzz
June 05, 2009 06:46PM
LOL. I'm sure you would! smoking smiley
June 05, 2009 07:52PM
PowerToThePeople Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a movement in the valley to legalize pot
> for a cash crop. - basp
>
> Someone recently told me that you can already
> become a legal grower if you go through the proper
> channels. Medical pot is readily available in Long
> Beach, CA, and the docs that prescribe it aren't
> being hassled. That means someone is growing it
> and supplying it to these docs.

Very true. I have a permit that allows me to grow 30 plants in a maximum indoor space of 100 square feet. My room mate has one aso. This means we can legally grow 60 plants in our house.

There are stipulations of course.

We can use it ourselves .60 healthy well-tended plants could yield as much as 8 -10 lbs every 7-8 weeks. That's a lot of pot (and a lot of money) for just two people. We can sell it (although not to the doctors) but only to legalized and state licensed dispensaries.

Home grown pot, according to most of the people to whom I've talked --- people who having been growing weed for many years --- with street customers, pot grown indoors is preferrable to field-grown pot. And why? Because controlling and regulating all the environmental factors such as light, temperatures, irrigation, humidity, bug and fungus control and wind conditions --- is impossible to do but is essential for getting maximum yields while producing a pure, very high quality weed.

So, even if and when multi-acre farms do become legal, pot that's been grown indoors will still be in high demand because of its overall purity and high quality.

I hope.
June 05, 2009 08:08PM
And when the contaminated crops hit the market what about all the lawsuits for growers as people who are not interested in being drugged are? I would be the first to do that.

At the Scopes Monkey Trial, Clarence Darrow gave a brilliant speech, but the cynical journalist H.L. Mencken told him "You may as well have shouted it up a waterspout in Outer Mongolia for all the effect it will have on your listeners ..

Ditto here.
June 05, 2009 08:54PM
jazzman,

Awesome!!!!! I didn't know you were doing that.

I assume that the doc I know of in Long Beach gets his "meds" from a state licensed dispensary.

I have a million questions, like "How did you get your license?", "How much did it cost?", "What's the first step?", "Where would I get the best info on growing it?, etc.

I grew a few plants outside once about 20 years ago, but I didn't know what I was doing and the plants didn't produce any buds. I guess they were males. IOW, I'm an entry-level novice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2009 08:55PM by PowerToThePeople.
June 05, 2009 10:08PM
Interested
The contamination of pot (which is has so far not been a huge problem) would be a legitimate concern. That's another reason why indoor growth is tha more desirable growing method. These plants are never subjected to the ravages of the elements, receiving much more TLC than those in a wind-blown, sun-scorced, rain-drenched, bug-infested field.

PttP;

Of course I'd be happy to answer all your questions and if they get too tough, I can always defer to the many many experts that come and go around here.

Here's an idea: If you're serious about getting involved, you might consider making a quick run up north (we're on the 101 about 60 miles north of San Francisco) You can drive it from Long Beach in 6-7 hours and that way you'd get a good look at the operation and get a pretty good education at the same time. (One of my partners has been doing this a long time and I think he knows about as much as there is to know)

Check out this link: [www.socalcannabisclubs.com]
June 05, 2009 10:17PM
I am thinking, jazz, of the modification of other plant life and that coming to market. As we have seen with GM, the modified plants have a way of getting in to regular crops.

At the Scopes Monkey Trial, Clarence Darrow gave a brilliant speech, but the cynical journalist H.L. Mencken told him "You may as well have shouted it up a waterspout in Outer Mongolia for all the effect it will have on your listeners ..

Ditto here.
Power to the people
Medical pot is legal and the rules vary by county. The discussion in the valley is about making it legal for everyone, treating it somewhat like alcohal with age restrictions.
June 05, 2009 10:24PM
Thanks, jazz. I'll take a look at that link.

Maybe some day, Pondy and I will drive up. Thanks for the invite. winking smiley
Jazzman
I hear your theory about indoor pot, but I really thnk that depends on location and the grower. Husband is disabled and has script from one of the top neurosugeons at UCSF and he has gotten some killer pot grown outdoor in San Joaquin valley.
Indoor or outdoor, they both take a lot of time and attention.
June 06, 2009 12:07AM
basp Wrote:
> Power to the people
> Medical pot is legal and the rules vary by county.
> The discussion in the valley is about making it
> legal for everyone, treating it somewhat like
> alcohal with age restrictions.

Ah. I see what you mean. But I don't think state marijuana laws can be trumped by more liberal laws of individual counties.

Am I wrong?
Technically, I believe you are right about state regs trumping county regs. Counties are supposed to keep within state guidelines which still allows for variance between counties.
On the other hand, federal law trumps state laws and I believe medical pot and/or dispensaries are still against federal law.

If I'm wrong about that, please correct me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2009 01:44AM by basp.
June 06, 2009 02:09AM
basp Wrote:
> Technically, I believe you are right about state
> regs trumping county regs. Counties are supposed
> to keep within state guidelines which still allows
> for variance between counties.
> On the other hand, federal law trumps state laws
> and I believe medical pot and/or dispensaries are
> still against federal law.
>
> If I'm wrong about that, please correct me.

No you're correct. But AG Holder is on record as saying that he has told federal law officers and US attorneys to slow play the federal laws. This is in direct contrast with the Bush Administration who believed in hassling the shops and even the people who they busted in possession of small amounts.

Things are really not very clear to med pot users and growers about when to be wary of the law..
Could it be that the new attitude at the federal level and the current economy crisis has sparked the conversation in the valley about growing legitimately ? People have hit hard times here and there simply are no jobs. Major industries have had to shutter their businesses which has compounded the problem. But, you know what they say.........times with pot and no money are much better than having the money and no pot. winking smiley

Now, here is a twist......... used to be in our county all one needed was a "letter" from a doctor as to why one should be granted medical pot. However, this year, new laws enacted required one to register with the county. Husband has had his letter for over five years, updated each year but, when he brought that in to abide by the new laws, he was told that the nuerosurgeon from UCSF was not acceptable and directed him to several "store front" (ahemm....) "doctors" to get the documentation he needed. Go figure! Here he is trying to be as legit as possible and the authorities are telling him to scam the system.
June 06, 2009 05:36AM
basp;
I think the economy has a lot to do with the pot situation. Even the street trade is hurting. No one has any money and if they do, it's usually better spent on necessities like gas and bills. If the pain starts to intrude, well . . . just have to suck it up.
June 07, 2009 02:42AM
This new development in genetics reminds me of the Simpsons episode on 'Tomacco', a hybrid between tomatoes and and tobacco which tasted terrible but was highly addictive.

I wonder what the legal status of any given plant that had the THC gene would be.
June 07, 2009 02:48AM
Interestingly the Tobacco and the Tomato plant are both in the family Solanacaea. Maybe the Simpson's is what spawned the idea.

President Eisenhower
June 08, 2009 12:16AM
You know, all this talk about pot makes me want to get high. I had a little "two-toke" weed a few years ago (definitely high-quality stuff judging from the smell and the look of the lumpy resin-frosted bud) after not having smoked since some time in the early '80s, and to my surprise, I didn't really get off. I had trouble following my friend's conversation, but other than that I just felt sort of hung-over. No euphoria. I was unfocused the next day. I used to really enjoy getting stoned. I wonder if my half-century old brain has changed in some way.
June 08, 2009 01:21AM
"60 healthy well-tended plants could yield as much as 8 -10 lbs every 7-8 weeks."

Do they make you show receipts as to where that goes?

I had the same thought as int when I read this; a few spores blown across a field from THC tomatoes into a field with regular tomatoes and ... well, let's just say the salad buffet at the old Golden Corral might become REALLY popular. winking smiley

A joke, of course, but seriously: How would you keep that from happening? I know amongst us tokers is not a big deal (although I like to be ion control of when and where I'm getting high), but what about pilots having a salad before a flight, or a doctor before performing emergency surgery?

I'd like to see, Jazz! Can I come visit?

BTW, where should I move? I'm thinking San Luis Obispo.

BTW2: I'm on the second week of a month-long dryout right now; no weed, no booze, no nothin'. So far it's been pretty nice.

I'm looking forward to becoming a grown-up, responsible drinker, though.
June 08, 2009 06:03PM
Paleoliberal Wrote:
Do they make you show receipts as to where that
goes?

I don't know about that. Some federal cops like to hassle people for possession, but I think Obama has put an end to that. I guess state or local cops could ask for some kind of proof showing that your only customers are legal dispensaries but even then, you could just claim that it's all for your own use, ending the discussion.

I had the same thought as int when I read this; a
few spores blown across a field from THC tomatoes
into a field with regular tomatoes and ... well,
let's just say the salad buffet at the old Golden
Corral might become REALLY popular. winking smiley
A joke, of course, but seriously: How would you
keep that from happening? I know amongst us tokers
is not a big deal (although I like to be ion
control of when and where I'm getting high), but
what about pilots having a salad before a flight,
or a doctor before performing emergency surgery?

I don't know how you would deal with that if your plants were growing outside.. Everyone I know who is in the business grows indoors for that very reason. Only by growing inside can you have any control over environmental conditions.

[I'd like to see, Jazz! Can I come visit?[/i]

You certainly may. I would roll out the red carpet and show you my operation as well as others. I can also introduce you to some 'experts' who can give you valuable tips.

BTW, where should I move? I'm thinking San Luis
Obispo.

That's easy. There's no place on Earth that equals the Northern California Sonoma Valley wine country. It's where the mountains, sea, vineyards and redwoods all come together. The year-round salubrious climate is ideally agreeable for whatever outdoor activity grabs you, including snow sports, only a short 3 hour driving distance away. (as are Lake Tahoe and Reno if you like 'adult' entertainment with your skiing). Big city night-life and literally hundreds of world-class restaurants in San Francisco await you , only an hour down the 101 freeway.

As an added bonus, Sonoma County --- not San Francisco --- arguably boasts the single most progressively liberal demographic area of any in the country. (eg, my congressional representative, Lynn Woosley, one of the House's most progressive members, is now serving in her NINTH term!

I've been all over the world and I've lived in many parts of the United States --- East, West, North and South --- (I was born in Denver) and I can say without bias or prejudice --- WEST is the BEST ! . And the 'Best of the West' is right here in Santa Rosa California.

You'd fit in very nicely here, paleo.
Santa Rosa, eh? No wonder you think indoor growing is better! In that climate, it is. In the valley, you'd be hard pressed to find better pot than outdoor pot. The elements actually make it stronger and there is nothing like the glaring sun doing it's job to make those buds golden and resin-y. It does take extra dilligence to keep the pests away, but predator insects work pretty good and eliminates the need for chemicals.
Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if you knew my brother who was a long time resident of your fine city and also an indoor grower. He moved to humbolt county a while back and now lives in hawaii.
June 09, 2009 02:49AM
Which valley are you talking about? If you're talking about the San Joaquin Valley, say from Stockton to Fresno, the general consensus of opinion of growers who know a lot more about this stuff than I tell me that --- talking about field grown pot --- the further south you go from the Humboldt/Mendocino areas the poorer will be the quality. That's not my opinion but I've heard that from people who have moved into this area for that very reason.

The horrendous central valley heat during the summer is probably the main reason for the poor quality. In indoor pot, heat is one of the factors that must be carefully controlled. We keep the room temperature well below 80 degrees F for maximum quality.
June 09, 2009 02:58AM
I prefer organic outdoor imho.

President Eisenhower
Jazz
I live in San joaquin county and have seen some very superior outdoor pot here. Not talking about field pot... That isn't worth nothing. But carefully tended gardens.
My understanding that the move north to grow pot has more to do with attitude toward pot and the risks involved rather than climate.
In either case, doesn't matter if you grow indoors or outdoors, you gotta know what you are doing to get good results.
June 09, 2009 03:16AM
I wish it would be legalized, I miss pot sometimes. It could spawn establishments very similar to wineries And keep drug dealers from lacing pot with hard drugs.
June 09, 2009 06:02AM
Do dealers actually lace pot with hard drugs? What a waste of money.

President Eisenhower
June 09, 2009 02:49PM
not if they can start someone out on the road to a cocaine or meth habit
Funkmeister, have you ever been given a laced joint?
June 09, 2009 03:05PM
sure have, a whole bag of pot laced with meth, I smoked like I always did, I kept going off time with my drumming that day and couldn't figure it out. Later that night I fainted and was having hallucinations. Someone told me later what had happened. To me there is a difference between pot and hard drugs. If it where legal, there would bo no chance for things like that to happen. What if my heart wasn't up to par? that would have sucked.
Lacing pot with meth?

Crime.

WTF? Who would do something like that? If I ever got a bag of laced pot (especially meth) I'd serious think about returning it with prejudice. I'd certainly never buy from the same person and would spread the word.

That's one of the nice things about the market for pot. It's prety much an open market. A free market open to anyone who wants to grow so you don't need to put up with asshats who will drive up prices, sell shwag as if it were chronic or lace your bag with meth. Grow your own if your in danger of too many asshats.

I've never found the need to "buy off the street" unless I was in a new place and I've always had great luck with that anyway.

Now, the other side of this is that I don't think I'd be too happy if I bought a bunch of tomatoes at the grocery and they ended up being a potent variety laced with THC. That's not nice either. I'd hate to make a salad for lunch only to have my entire work day ruined because I was stoned out of my gourd.

If I chose that then it would be different, just like if I chose to buy a bag laced with something...

I really prefer the free market nature of the pot trade. I worry that if legalized it will go the way of big tobacco but not too worried since there are so many tallented people who grow.
June 09, 2009 06:00PM
Right on, basp. If you don't know what you're doing, you're doomed to failure, no matter how you do it. And you're right that the attitudes of people in the North Coast are conducive to good pot growing. When you get pot from Humbolt/Mendocino you'll probably pay more for it because it's recognized as being of superior quality, whether grown indoors or outdoors. Conversely, pot grown in more southern climes --- say, San Francisco south --- even though prices are high, the quality is not up to par. Compare most of the pot that's available in Los Angeles with properly grown and cured pot that comes from the north and you can't help but see the big difference. The smell, the oil content --- even the color.

Right now, we're going through the trimming process on five plants. They're loaded with clusters and I'm betting that these five plants will produce about a pound and a quarter of great weed. That's 4 ounces per plant. This is good stuff so I think it'll command a good price. I have to take extra precaution because the smell is so powerful that I'm afraid that just trimming these particular plants could get me high.
i wonder if any one of the bunch of people above me have actually followed the story back to the source and discovered that this is a fake.
June 13, 2009 03:28PM
Anonymous User Wrote:
> i wonder if any one of the bunch of people above
> me have actually followed the story back to the
> source and discovered that this is a fake.

If you're talking about the 'tomato' story, I have not. Why do you say it's a fake?
Phil E. Drifter
absolutely not
June 13, 2009 07:35PM
Absolutely not. THC is just one of hundreds of different cannabinoids that are produced in cannabis. You may be able to get high from smoking acorns (I doubt it's as easy) but they won't have all the medicinal properties of straight up THC.

THINK, DAMN YOU! THINK!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

This forum powered by Phorum