Forum Index            

Cookies Consent Information
SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

Join to post comments.

Is your name welcomed below? Then you are invited to post here: Politics Philosophy Diversions

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Peer reviewed Chemical Physics journal publishes study on WTC dust and thermitic attributes.

Posted by Anonymous User 
Chemical Physics Journal: Active Thermitic Material Discovered in Dust from the 9/11 World Trade Center
By: Niels H. Harrit, Jeffrey Farrer, Steven E. Jones, Kevin R. Ryan, Frank M. Legge, Daniel Farnsworth, Gregg Roberts, James on: 04.04.2009 [00:43 ] (306 reads)

This is a major breakthrough as it is a peer reviewed scientific paper which proves that 911 was an inside job. The international scientific community cannot ignore this.

informatron
(2745 bytes) [c] Print
Formally published in a peer-reviewed Chemical Physics journal, today:

“Active Thermitic Material Discovered in Dust from the 9/11 World Trade Center Catastrophe” by Niels H. Harrit, Jeffrey Farrer, Steven E. Jones, Kevin R. Ryan, Frank M. Legge, Daniel Farnsworth, Gregg Roberts, James R. Gourley and Bradley R. Larsen

The paper ends with this sentence: “Based on these observations, we conclude that the red layer of the red/gray chips we have discovered in the WTC dust is active, unreacted thermitic material, incorporating nanotechnology, and is a highly energetic pyrotechnic or explosive material.”

In short, the paper explodes the official story that “no evidence” exists for explosive/pyrotechnic materials in the WTC buildings.

What is high-tech explosive/pyrotechnic material in large quantities doing in the WTC dust? Who made tons of this stuff and why? Why have government investigators refused to look for explosive residues in the WTC aftermath?

These are central questions raised by this scientific study.

Author Professor Steven Jones comments:
[911blogger.com]

Abstract

We have discovered distinctive red/gray chips in all the samples we have studied of the dust produced by the destruction of the World Trade Center. Examination of four of these samples, collected from separate sites, is reported in this paper. These red/gray chips show marked similarities in all four samples. One sample was collected by a Manhattan resident about ten minutes after the collapse of the second WTC Tower, two the next day, and a fourth about a week later. The properties of these chips were analyzed using optical microscopy, scanning electron microscopy (SEM), X-ray energy dispersive spectroscopy (XEDS), and differential scanning calorimetry (DSC). The red material contains grains approximately 100 nm across which are largely iron oxide, while aluminum is contained in tiny plate-like structures. Separation of components using methyl ethyl ketone demonstrated that elemental aluminum is present. The iron oxide and aluminum are intimately mixed in the red material. When ignited in a DSC device the chips exhibit large but narrow exotherms occurring at approximately 430 °C, far below the normal ignition temperature for conventional thermite. Numerous iron-rich spheres are clearly observed in the residue following the ignition of these peculiar red/gray chips. The red portion of these chips is found to be an unreacted thermitic material and highly energetic.

The Open Chemical Physics Journal
Volume 2
ISSN: 1874-4125

Full article available for down load:

[www.bentham-open.org]
Cascade Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chemical Physics Journal: Active Thermitic
> Material Discovered in Dust from the 9/11 World
> Trade Center
> By: Niels H. Harrit, Jeffrey Farrer, Steven E.
> Jones, Kevin R. Ryan, Frank M. Legge, Daniel
> Farnsworth, Gregg Roberts, James on: 04.04.2009
> [00:43 ] (306 reads)
>
> This is a major breakthrough as it is a peer
> reviewed scientific paper which proves that 911
> was an inside job. The international scientific
> community cannot ignore this.
>
> informatron
> (2745 bytes) Print
> Formally published in a peer-reviewed Chemical
> Physics journal, today:
>
> “Active Thermitic Material Discovered in Dust
> from the 9/11 World Trade Center Catastrophe” by
> Niels H. Harrit, Jeffrey Farrer, Steven E. Jones,
> Kevin R. Ryan, Frank M. Legge, Daniel Farnsworth,
> Gregg Roberts, James R. Gourley and Bradley R.
> Larsen
>
>
> The paper ends with this sentence: “Based on
> these observations, we conclude that the red layer
> of the red/gray chips we have discovered in the
> WTC dust is active, unreacted thermitic material,
> incorporating nanotechnology, and is a highly
> energetic pyrotechnic or explosive material.”
>
> In short, the paper explodes the official story
> that “no evidence” exists for
> explosive/pyrotechnic materials in the WTC
> buildings.
>
> What is high-tech explosive/pyrotechnic material
> in large quantities doing in the WTC dust? Who
> made tons of this stuff and why? Why have
> government investigators refused to look for
> explosive residues in the WTC aftermath?
>
> These are central questions raised by this
> scientific study.
>
> Author Professor Steven Jones comments:
> [911blogger.com]
>
>
>
> Abstract
>
>
> We have discovered distinctive red/gray chips in
> all the samples we have studied of the dust
> produced by the destruction of the World Trade
> Center. Examination of four of these samples,
> collected from separate sites, is reported in this
> paper. These red/gray chips show marked
> similarities in all four samples. One sample was
> collected by a Manhattan resident about ten
> minutes after the collapse of the second WTC
> Tower, two the next day, and a fourth about a week
> later. The properties of these chips were analyzed
> using optical microscopy, scanning electron
> microscopy (SEM), X-ray energy dispersive
> spectroscopy (XEDS), and differential scanning
> calorimetry (DSC). The red material contains
> grains approximately 100 nm across which are
> largely iron oxide, while aluminum is contained in
> tiny plate-like structures. Separation of
> components using methyl ethyl ketone demonstrated
> that elemental aluminum is present. The iron oxide
> and aluminum are intimately mixed in the red
> material. When ignited in a DSC device the chips
> exhibit large but narrow exotherms occurring at
> approximately 430 °C, far below the normal
> ignition temperature for conventional thermite.
> Numerous iron-rich spheres are clearly observed in
> the residue following the ignition of these
> peculiar red/gray chips. The red portion of these
> chips is found to be an unreacted thermitic
> material and highly energetic.
>
> The Open Chemical Physics Journal
> Volume 2
> ISSN: 1874-4125
>
> Full article available for down load:
>
> [www.bentham-open.org]
> J/2009/00000002/00000001/7TOCPJ.SGM

Nanotech? I call bullshit. Ya, it was peer reviewed alright...by a nutcase. Scotty, beam me up...lol.
That's right What's... because obviously nanotech doesn't really exist. It's simply impossible and therefore must be ignored regardless of the consequences.

You've been screaming for a peer reviewed journal to publish anything about the physical attributes that many experts have been claiming and now that it's been done it simply can't be right?

Well read the report. Suck on it.
Ya, apparently you suck on it alot and think you have something there...you have the emperor's new clothes I am afraid and its nanotech.
Where are separate peer reviews of this article? Makes it real tough for a layman like myself to draw any conclusions as to its validity.

1. First author is Professor Niels Harrit of Copenhagen University in Denmark, an Associate Professor of Chemistry. He is an expert in nano-chemistry; current research activities and his photo can be found here:
[cmm.nbi.ku.dk]
Molecular Structures on Short and Ultra Short Timescales
A Centre under the Danish National Research Foundation

The Centre for Molecular Movies was inaugurated 29th November 2005, at the Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen. The Centre is made possible through a five year grant from the Danish National Research Foundation (see e.g. www.dg.dk). We aim to obtain real time “pictures” of how atoms are moving while processes are taking place in molecules and solid materials, using ultrashort pulses of laser light and X-rays. The goal is to understand and in turn influence, at the atomic level, the structural transformations associated with such processes.

The Centre combines expertise form Risø National Laboratory, University of Copenhagen, and the Technical University of Denmark in structural investigation of matter by synchrotron X-ray based techniques, femtosecond laser spectroscopy, theoretical insight in femtosecond processes, and the ability to tailor materials, and design sample systems for optimal experimental conditions.”

We understand that the Dean of Prof. Harrit’s college, Niels O Andersen, appears as the first name on the Editorial Advisory Board of the Bentham Science journal where the paper was published.

2. Second author is Dr. Jeffrey Farrer of BYU. [www.physics.byu.edu]

3. Dr. Farrer is featured in an article on page 11 of the BYU Frontiers magazine, Spring 2005: “Dr. Jeffrey Farrer, lab director for TEM” (TEM stands for Transmission Electron Microscopy). The article notes: “The electron microscopes in the TEM lab combine to give BYU capabilities that are virtually unique… rivaling anything built worldwide.” The article is entitled: “Rare and Powerful Microscopes Unlock Nano Secrets,” which is certainly true as regards the discoveries of the present paper.

4. Kudos to BYU for permitting Drs. Farrer and Jones and physics student Daniel Farnsworth to do the research described in the paper and for conducting internal reviews of the paper. Dr. Farrer was formerly first author on this paper. But after internal review of the paper, BYU administrators evidently disallowed him from being first author on ANY paper related to 9/11 research (this appears to be their perogative, but perhaps they will explain). Nevertheless, the paper was approved for publication with Dr. Farrer’s name and affiliation listed and we congratulate BYU for this. We stand by Dr. Farrer and congratulate his careful scientific research represented in this paper.

5. Perhaps now there will finally be a review of the SCIENCE explored by Profs. Harrit and Jones and by Drs. Farrer and Legge and their colleagues, as repeatedly requested by these scientists. We challenge ANY university or established laboratory group to perform such a review. This paper will be a good place to start, along with two other peer-reviewed papers in established journals involving several of the same authors:

Fourteen Points of Agreement with Official Government Reports on the World Trade Center Destruction

Authors: Steven E. Jones, Frank M. Legge, Kevin R. Ryan, Anthony F. Szamboti, James R. Gourley
The Open Civil Engineering Journal, pp.35-40, Vol 2
[www.bentham-open.org]...

Environmental anomalies at the World Trade Center: evidence for energetic materials
Authors: Kevin R. Ryan, James R. Gourley, and Steven E. Jones
The Environmentalist, August, 2008
[dx.doi.org]

6. James Hoffman has written three essays further explaining the implications and results of the paper. Thank you, Jim, for this work! [911research.wtc7.net]

7. Important features of the research have been independently corroborated by Mark Basile in New Hampshire and by physicist Frédéric Henry-Couannier in France., proceeding from earlier scientific reports on these discoveries (e.g., by Prof. Jones speaking at a Physics Dept. Colloquium at Utah Valley University last year.) We understand that details will soon be forthcoming from these independent researchers.

Now read the paper for yourself, and let your voice regarding these discoveries be heard!
[www.bentham.org] then click on “Active Thermitic Materials Discovered…”

Direct page link: (D/L PDF at source...)
[www.bentham-open.org]...
"We challenge ANY university or established laboratory group to perform such a review. This paper will be a good place to start, along with two other peer-reviewed papers in established journals involving several of the same authors: "

Surely, since it's so bluntly obvious to you that anyone who even hypothisizes about thermitic reactions in the WTC event is a total nut job, you can articulate your findings? Maybe, you know, make an opposing case with real science?

hmm?
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Cas. As HHH said, since none of us here are chemists let alone nanotech chemists, we're not in a position to judge the merits of the study, so let's see what the experts conclude.
Cascade - send me the full article. I'm probably the best qualified on this board to look at it, really. My BS is in Chemistry, with a minor in physics and another minor in math. And if I can't understand it, I'll send it to some of my professors I had at Michigan Tech. And, btw, thermite is NOT an explosive - but it DOES give off a LOT of heat. It's actually probable that the crashes themselves created a thermite reaction (airplanes are generally made of an aluminum/magnesium alloy - aluminum is a common ingredient of thermite, and magnesium strips are usually used for fuses to ignite thermite). Had ANY part of the WTC been oxidized at all (which would happen easily from the jet fuel explosion - combustion is nothing more than extremely rapid oxidation), it would have led to a thermite reaction. Usually thermite is made from powdered metals, but - the activation energy required to create such a reaction could have surely provided by the jet fuel explosion. So, really, thermite being in the WTC dust isn't much of a surprise. It'd actually be MORE of a surprise had thermite NOT been found there. But, as I said, post a link to the actual article.
Cascade - send me the full article. - PoK

Why don't you just check the links he provided?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2009 08:26PM by PowerToThePeople.
POK - Would be interesting to see what your former professors did have to say about this. Tough for your average commoner such as myself to make a judgement one way or the other.

Okay - the article DOES say that it APPEARS to be like super-thermite, which was discovered in 2000, and that such particles are NOT found in ordinary controlled demolitions. But - there is no idea of how the thermite would have gotten there (as it would have definitely been a violation of building code - and the buildings were built in the 1970s).
America needs to investigate the Bush administration and get to the bottom of 9/11 once and for all and the investigation needs to be by an independent 3 rd party from somewhere other than the US who is not subject to the political control of the Washington elite.
No matter what you do GPP the conspiracy kooks will believe its a conspiracy. Not worth the money..scratch that. Better to give the money to get these people medicated and sane.
My new sig says it all....for the sane.

If a child says, "This is mine and I'm not sharing with you!", they're a spoiled brat.
If an adult says, "This is mine and I'm not sharing with you!", they're a conservative.
If a loser says, "This is yours and I'm taking it from you!", they're a liberal.

"Corrected for punctuation and reality."
IOW, it's perfect (for him).
Sorry Cas and others for double posting, didn't spot that you'd already posted this. Can mods here merge threads?
As for "Pubic" (is this whatsaname's new moniker? ewwww) suggestion that "the kooks" contaminated the sample -

1. Other groups of scientists who have nothing to do with 9/11 truth, have also found them
2. Where in the hell do you think these guys got a highly sophisticated thermic explosive???? You can't get this stuff at the local hardware store you know.

As for "needing to be a chemist" or "waiting till the experts have their say".

Well an independent peer review is pretty much vetting the paper by experts.

And do you need to be a chemist?

Despite the sophistication needed to mill aluminium as fine as it in the samples, the explosive itself is NOT particuarly difficult to identify.

With aditions for various effects, the principle ingredients of nano-thermite is

Elemental Aluminium

Iron Oxide (AKA - rust) - mixed in a gel.

The peer review passed the groups analysis and identification of these two particles. It's not really a tough one to get your head around.

Note what PowerofOK (the sole person with expertise on this thread) - It looks like nano-thermite (also called super thermite).

"Looks like" obviously means - is comprised of nano particles of rust and aluminium. Meaning it is nano-thermite.

This is not one where people can hide behind "I'm not a scientist" because this is not a theory, it is forensic evidence.
No, Thorn, I didn't say that I thought they were definitely nanothermite. The authors didn't even say that it WAS nanothermite - just that it COULD be nanothermite based on how it acted and what they had read about nanothermite. Nanothermite had only been discovered less than a year before the towers collapsed, and still is SO rare that not even most chemists have actually seen a demonstration of it (much less heard of it), unless they work for the US Dept. of Defense. As for the makeup of the chips... if they WERE nanothermite, the samples were contaminated in some way shape or form, because the chips are made of several different elements & compounds - not just rust and aluminum.

Oh, and btw... is the journal endorsed by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC)? Because if it's not, it's probably not considered legit by the scientific community at large.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2009 06:05AM by PowerOfK.
To be considered nano thermite, a product needs to be principally made of nano-particles of rust and aluminium - that's what these chips are. Now I'm starting to look into nano-thermite you will find different additives are used for differing effects, but it's those two ingredients that make it nano-thermite.

It's all kind of irrelevant when what the paper does show is that when ignited, it has an explosive reaction. So call it what you like to, call it "explosive made of nano-particles of aluminium and iron oxide" if you like, it does not change the principle point does it?

What you say about it's rarity is useful to my argument. The fact is this stuff was found in the WTC dust, and not just by these scientists, by at least two other groups as well.

So we have chips of "explosive made of nano-particles of aluminium and iron oxide" in the WTC dust.

If everyone could stop flapping and provide me with a couple of hypothetical alternatives to this being because the twin towers were blown up I'd be very grateful.
"Oh, and btw... is the journal endorsed by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC)? Because if it's not, it's probably not considered legit by the scientific community at large." - POK

Any comment on this, Thorn?

The point is it is not worthless, however many demands for conformity to establishment you might try and hide behind.

This is not a theory, not a hypothesis. It is forensic physical evidence.

It is very hard to get around the facts that even PowerOfK seems to accept -

The red part of the chips contains principly nano-particles of elemental aluminium and iron oxide (this is what nano-thermite is, but he doesn't want to call it that and I'm cool with that)

When ignited, these elements will (and have been demonstrated to) have a powerful explosive effect.

Chips of this material have turned up so far in all located samples of WTC dust.

What are you going to do about this HHH? Just wait till the government tells you to ignore it and go back to sleep? Is that the life you want? One of subservience and a total absence of independent freedom of thought and speech?

Are you even American? You don't seem to give a damn about the supposed values of your nation. North Korea might be a better option - Kim Jong Il would pay for an obedient subject like you.
No way.

> "Oh, and btw... is the journal endorsed by the
> International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry
> (IUPAC)? Because if it's not, it's probably not
> considered legit by the scientific community at
> large." - POK
>
>
> Any comment on this, Thorn?

Actually, it DOES matter. Why? Because the IUPAC (along with national subsidaries such as the American Chemical Society (ACS)) will only accept a journal if it is found to stand by a certain amount of scientific rigor. I do find it odd that such a find was published in a FREE journal. Most peer-reviewed scientific journals require a subscription - which can only be obtained by members paying a subscription fee (though members can be individuals or educational institutions - all students of an educational institution can read any journal the institution subscribes to for free - either in hard copy or electronically). Seriously, any journal NOT endorsed by an international governing body is suspect at the least. It doesn't mean it's WRONG (it could just be very new and unproven - many journals more than likely have "provisional" periods in which the international governing bodies determine scientific rigor) - it just means that any thing the journal says should be corroborated with a journal that DOES meet the standards of the international governing body.
PowerOfK,
If you have issues with the paper, having read it, I'm sure it would be easy to arrange a dialogue with the authors where you can air your concerns and get answers to any questions you have. They want this to be discussed openly.

Of course, you could also submit a rebuttle to the same journal, since you consider it so worthless. As I said to Ibling, if your rebuttle passes peer review I will happily pay for it to be published.

Knock your self out champ.
I might be barking up the wrong tree, as I'm not a chemist, but I found this:

Nanoparticles of iron(III) oxide are biocompatible, non-toxic, are chemically active on their surface, and are magnetic[citation needed] . They find wide use in biomedical applications. Can be used as contrast agents in magnetic resonance imaging, in labeling of cancerous tissues, magnetically controlled transport of pharmaceuticals, localized thermotherapy (where the tissue is labeled by iron oxide nanoparticles, then heated by application of AC field to particles), and preparation of ferrofluids. [2] ( [en.wikipedia.org] )

List of World Trade Center tenants ( [www.cnn.com] ) -

Thermo Electron (2289 sq.ft. on 85th fl. of Tower 1)

Thermo Electron web site (now known as Thermo Scientific): [www.thermo.com]

Products:

Air Quality Monitoring Instruments
Anatomical Pathology
Bulk Analyzers & Sampling Systems for Cement, Coal & Minerals
Bulk Material Handling, Moisture & Constituent Analyzers
Cell Culture & Bioprocessing
Checkweighing, Metal & X-ray Detection
Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry
Clinical Chemistry & Automation
Controlled Environment Equipment
Discrete Food & Beverage and Water & Environmental Analysis
Elemental Analysis
Flow, Density and Level Measurement, Gas and Sulfur Analyzers, Recorders
High-Content Screening and Analysis
Industrial Hygiene
LIMS and Laboratory Software
Laboratory Automation and Integration
Laboratory Consumables and Pipettes
Material Characterization
Microanalysis & Imaging
Microplate Instruments
Molecular Spectroscopy
Nuclear Reactor Instrumentation Systems
Nucleic Acid Amplification & Biostorage
Protein Research
RNA Interference (RNAi) Research
Radiation Measurement and Protection
Sample Preparation
Security and Detection Systems
Temperature Control
Test Systems: EMC and ESD
Thickness Measurement and Coating Weight Gauges
Water Analysis Instruments

Do you think there's a possibility that nanothermite is used in any of the above applications?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2009 09:34PM by PowerToThePeople.
You might be one to something there PTTP. Now if there are specific uses for the same kinds of particles that are being talked about you may have solved the mystery.
PttP,
Iron Oxide is simply rust, it is everywhere, nano particles of elemental aluminium are not.

Kevin Ryan, one of the scientists who wrote this paper, tried to make some thermite sol gel in his lab, nothing like this though, because while getting nano particles of rust was no problem, to get elemental aluminum down to nano-particle size is not something you can do without some seriously expensive equipment. So what he made was noticeably hotter and less explosive than they chips from the WTC dust they ignited. The smaller the elements the bigger the explosive potential.

OK so that is one issue, the other is that this is not nano-particles of aluminium and rust that have been found. It chips which have been found, chips with those ingredients encased in an organic hardened gel on one side, and a second grey layer which is still under investigation but appears to be inactive ceramic.

In other words - they did not find chemical traces of these explosives- they actually found the explosives, in a sophisticated form, most likely gel.

They have even ignited them and recorded their explosive nature.
Good point. It's not particles. It's engineered flakes of something that explodes.
Thorn is 100% correct.

I originally set out to find another explanation for the presence of the nanothermite - did some reading on the chemistry of iron oxide, thermite, nanothermite, superthermite, etc. - and that was the best I came up with. I was going to delete it, but decided to leave it there to see if anyone would uncover the flaw. In another thread, I alluded to the flaw in that post.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

The best cities to meet opposite sex singles

Your 24 easiest weight loss diet options

Y'all should use this tool to identify any dialect.

Your best college value isn't where you'd guess

Secret to taking quality photos is this camera

Running shoes that won't cripple you or your wallet

16 dog breeds that won't kill your toddler

High earning jobs for low energy people

Which of over 100 cars & trucks is best for you?

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!